Just recently over easter we sailed aboard the brittania cruise ship to the western mediteranian. While we enjoyed our trip.we were bitterly disapointed that we did not call at monaco. As we were supposed to. It was on the ittinery. But the captain announced that the sea was too choppy for the tender. So we had to bypass it. As you can imagine we wernt happy. After all we all paid a lot of money for this trip and feel a bit ripped off. It has put us off going with p&o again.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That is the joy of cruising and I am always in full agreement of the decisions made by any Captain with regards to decisions of cancelling ports of call. These decisions are never taken lightly and I

The ports of call are our first priority when booking a cruise, many times in the last few years we have had to miss a few due to different reasons mainly sea conditions. It is disappointing but not s

There is a difference between being on land in Monaco and trying to berth or tender there. What looks to be a reasonable sea state from land can be very different when you are attempting to bring thou

28 minutes ago, annieamh said:

Just recently over easter we sailed aboard the brittania cruise ship to the western mediteranian. While we enjoyed our trip.we were bitterly disapointed that we did not call at monaco. As we were supposed to. It was on the ittinery. But the captain announced that the sea was too choppy for the tender. So we had to bypass it. As you can imagine we wernt happy. After all we all paid a lot of money for this trip and feel a bit ripped off. It has put us off going with p&o again.

Can't blame P&O for weather conditions, Monaco is notorious for this.

The Captain wouldn't of taken the decision lightly, but ultimately it's safety first as it should be.

HLM.

There is a difference between being on land in Monaco and trying to berth or tender there. What looks to be a reasonable sea state from land can be very different when you are attempting to bring thousands if tons of ship to the berth. I, for one, would prefer to be safe than find the ship hitting the harbour wall.

It was very nice when we arrived on Britannia maiden cruise and slowly throughout the day the swell of the sea got worse even though the weather was fine. Captain Paul Brown did apologise later that day and said if it had been expected to get that bad, which it wasn't in the sea forecast, he wouldnt have stopped there in the morning. What looks like good weather and seas to an unqualified person is far different from fully qualified Captain's who do not cancel ports of calls for fun or on a whim.

I think everyones missing my main point here its not the fact that it was too dangerous to use the tender, I understand that.its the fact that p&o should offer some kind of compensation for this, I know nobody can control the sea , and im not trying to cause trouble about this, but after all , we all paid a hell of a lot of money for this cruise and the highlight for many people was to stop at monaco .

30 minutes ago, annieamh said:

I think everyones missing my main point here its not the fact that it was too dangerous to use the tender, I understand that.its the fact that p&o should offer some kind of compensation for this, I know nobody can control the sea , and im not trying to cause trouble about this, but after all , we all paid a hell of a lot of money for this cruise and the highlight for many people was to stop at monaco .

But you didn't mention anything about compensation in your opening post, just that felt ripped off after paying a lot of money.

That aside, did you make your feelings known when onboard and request recompense for your disappointment?

If so what was their reply?

The problem is that in their T&C's it will clearly state that ports of call can be missed for various reasons, I suspect they are under no obligation to compensate for this.

HLM.

The ports of call are our first priority when booking a cruise, many times in the last few years we have had to miss a few due to different reasons mainly sea conditions. It is disappointing but not something that anybody has control over. The shipping companies always state in the T &Cs that this may happen and the itinerary can change. Once on Adonia the captain announced that he was turning the whole cruise itinerary around due to the weather, so our first port of call was our last etc.

You can imagine the problems this gave the staff having to change the dates for all the excursions at the different ports. But he did the best thing for his passengers. Still some passengers complained, you just can't help some people. I am just happy to be onboard and safe.

6 hours ago, annieamh said:

But you are missing the facts that you obviously have not read the T&Cs, as previously said by others, in the back of the brochure which states that ports of call cannot be guaranteed due to unforeseen circumstances and like I stated in my previous message having been there and enduring the horrendous sea conditions of trying to get back to Britannia from the port by tender and the injury received by member of staff I think the Captain was right to do what he did. I am not for certain who the Captain was on your cruise but if it was Paul Brown he would have had previous experience of being the Captain on our cruise and sure that what happened that day would have probably at the back of his mind and would not want to put passengers and staff through that experience again.

23 hours ago, annieamh said:

I am sure if he had docked in the bay at Monaco and tendered into the port and you would have been injured getting back to the ship in the tender you would have been on here moaning about compensation. The Captain is between a rock and hard place and damned if he does and damned if he doesn't and you have to accept his knowledge and experience and the decisions he makes are for the health and safety of everyone on the ship.

Heard a lot of people say that their ship hasn't been able to go to Monaco due to the sea conditions but yes i agree also health and safety does come first, if you are wanting to go to Monaco why not book a short break there? Rather than rely on a cruise ship?

23 hours ago, Ahoy said:

Heard a lot of people say that their ship hasn't been able to go to Monaco due to the sea conditions but yes i agree also health and safety does come first, if you are wanting to go to Monaco why not book a short break there? Rather than rely on a cruise ship?

Ok everyone iv had my moan so ill shut up now. Anyway ill tell you what i thought of brittania.its a lovley ship but a bit big to get round.also the entertainment is a bit repetative . They put a sail away party on the top deck on some evenings.but its a bit like being at a childrens birthday party at butlins. They try to get you to join in all party songs. But its not for me. The food is lovley. The cabins are nice (we had an inside cabin) we will definatley go on another cruise ,this was our first.but wel choose a smaller ship next time    happy sailing 😎

1 hour ago, annieamh said:

I don't believe anyone's missing the point and we all understand your extreme disappointment at not being able to visit Monaco, however the T&C's would of clearly stated that ports can be missed for various reasons. So I'll ask again did you raise your disappointment whilst onboard? If so what was your response?

HLM.

Over the years I have been cruising I have missed many ports due to weather conditions some of which were the reason why I chose the cruise. I didnt expect compensation as the weather is in the lap of the gods. It's unfortunate but at the end of the day the safety of passengers comes first and I don't think that the Captain would choose to miss a port lightly.

In relations to butlins at sea entertainment is going to be different on a ship with children as opposed to adult only.

13 hours ago, seawitch said:

Been cruising since I was a teenager and never missed a port due to bad weather. Must be very lucky. 

You have been very lucky we have missed Guernsey, Kirkwall, Gibraltar, a port in Canada that I cant remember name it was that long ago and nearly missed Holyhead but ended up as a 2hr call instead of a full day. We have also missed Dublin and a very late arrival in Azores due to mechanical problems on the ship. We also were late arriving in Honninsvag no fault of P&O but couldn't dock because RCCL ship was late leaving the berth.

We've missed 2 in the Azores (on different cruises) due to the weather, 1 in Turkey due to disease, 1 in Lisbon due to a strike in the port & 2 changed to different ports after booking. Things happen that are out of the cruise lines control & personally I prefer the sea days anyway so I just take what comes.

I very much doubt that a ship the size and tonnage of Britannia, would have ever gone 'alongside' in Monaco anyway, whilst always assuming the Outer was available, given that both sides of the outer harbour alongside berths are in fact, one huge floating, anchored, pontoon, with car parking beneath water level.

Prior to its building the Outer Breakwater, Monaco Harbour was already notorious for its long Easterly swell in certain weather conditions. So, I would therefore suggest that it wasn't the sea state itself that was the problem, but the likely unsafe loading/off-loading of tenders passengers within the harbour itself to a non floating land mass with a possible resulting +/- 3mtr swell. It's also possible that you can have a massive sea swell, but no noticeable 'white tops' at sea at all.

So, respectfully said, it could well have been the Monaco Capitainerie's (Harbourmasters) call, and the P&O (or any other cruiselines?) Skippers have to learn how to take these decisions on the chin, when it comes to their passenger's disappointments.  

Peter.

We selected Princess for our long awaited South American cruise because their itinerary included the Falkland Islands.  We were disappointed that weather conditions did not allow the stop, but the captain took us as close as possible.  It is not a place we would ever have the opportunity to visit again,  but we never even thought of compensation.  We had the port fees refunded and that was the end of the issue.  The rest of the cruise was everything we hoped for and we had no other missed ports.  Over the years we have learned that things happen and it is unwise to take a cruise based entirely on the desire to see one particular port.