Davybe

Triple Pension Lock Right or wrong.

Now being happily retired and benefitting from pension increases over the last few years,I now wonder if it is still feasible to promise to keep the pension Triple lock.

Are the universal pensioner benefits such as Free bus passes ,winter fuel allowances still appropriate this day and age .

I appreciate all political parties realize we pensioners are more likely vote and using others money to pay for their promises  is not really the way to go IMO . Its Called Gerrymandering when the other party does it?? 

Any thoughts on the matter....Davybe 

I have paid significant amounts by means of NI and tax during my working life as well as pension contributions to my private pension. I now pay tax on my pension  so why should I not be able to have a few perks as a form of gratuity from the government for all my hard work and contributions made to thise less fortuate than me?

Long live pensioner benefits, that is what I say!

So long as there are pensioners having difficulty in meeting heating bills in the winter and struggling with food bills, Yes, the triple lock system should remain.  Those that are better off are only in that position because they went without during their working lives to put the money into pension schemes so they could have a reasonable standard of living in retirement. I paid 11% of my salary into the jobs pension scheme and paid National Insurance for 50 years. Now I am getting the benefits.

No I do not think it should remain it is not fair on younger people especially those in public services who have had 1% pay increases for a number of years to balance the books of the country that the bankers robbed but they aren't paying any back. With winter heating allowance, free bus passes also I think they should be means tested so that those who are only surviving on state pension and on lower income receive it. Many young are paying NI contributions but will have to wait even longer than those who received pension at 65 and may get even longer wait in future.

The reality is for some people these benefits extra is what allows them to live and get out , have warmth in the house .

They know it Is all subject to the will of the ruling party and probably cringe when the subject comes in.  We have the same issues here for people in retirement living on the edge. I worked for public service and though our increases were zero many years at ;least compared to private industry if we avoided cuts I had a regular salary with a pension to look forward to . perhaps not much but least  steady . We use means test based on income for extra help beyond ones pension

Recently those on disability had free bus passes here removed to equal some other the government said.. It is so easy for a politician who is earning a salary beyond our dreams  to remove a perk that is a few meal allowances for them.

Two points.

1st, it is the local council that pays for free bus passes not the government and 2nd, £100 p.p or £200 if you live alone, winter fuel allowance, is not a lot for old people whose winter fuel bills come to anything up to £750 for the two winter quarters and who have no other income other than the basic state pension of  £122.30 p.w. 

Personally I know what it is like to be in one of the public services. When the employed were not receiving any pay rises my pension also remained static.

I have another 9+ years until I can claim state pension but believe that the double-lock would be fairer.  If inflation and average earnings are say, only 1%, why should I as a retired person get a 2.5% rise...

1 hour ago, afcandrew said:

I have another 9+ years until I can claim state pension but believe that the double-lock would be fairer.  If inflation and average earnings are say, only 1%, why should I as a retired person get a 2.5% rise...

Forgetting political parties but looking at the other side of the coin afcandrew does it not depend on the amount the percentage is based on. Example, 1% on £30,000 is £300pa where as 2.5% on £6360 is £159pa yet the pensioner still has to pay rent, council tax, gas, electricity, food and general living expenses. The only difference is work related travel. I am not saying it is right, just putting forward another view point which people may or may not agree with. Like all debates, there are two sides of the coin. 

I think the triple lock is a bit OTT, inflation level or average wage level should be adequate protection for everyone, I would also suggest that winter fuel and free TV license should be incorporated into the basic pension, in this way those wealthier pensioners who don't need it and pay tax would have it deducted in higher tax payments; which would be a very simple and cost effective means test.

10 hours ago, towny44 said:

I would also suggest that winter fuel and free TV license should be incorporated into the basic pension, in this way those wealthier pensioners who don't need it and pay tax would have it deducted in higher tax payments; which would be a very simple and cost effective means test.

What an excellent idea. That would make it fair to everyone whilst still retaining the benefits. Why has no government thought of this.

16 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Two points.

1st, it is the local council that pays for free bus passes not the government and 2nd, £100 p.p or £200 if you live alone, winter fuel allowance, is not a lot for old people whose winter fuel bills come to anything up to £750 for the two winter quarters and who have no other income other than the basic state pension of  £122.30 p.w. 

Personally I know what it is like to be in one of the public services. When the employed were not receiving any pay rises my pension also remained static.

Wrong  OWT .

The Bus pass is funded by central government but administered locally ,since 2008 ....Davybe   

10 hours ago, towny44 said:

I think the triple lock is a bit OTT, inflation level or average wage level should be adequate protection for everyone, I would also suggest that winter fuel and free TV license should be incorporated into the basic pension, in this way those wealthier pensioners who don't need it and pay tax would have it deducted in higher tax payments; which would be a very simple and cost effective means test.

Spot on Towny ,

The tax system would reclaim some from those of us who pay tax on there pension's.

What is it that happen's between 74 and 75 that mean's we cannot afford a TV licence ....Davybe  

13 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Forgetting political parties but looking at the other side of the coin afcandrew does it not depend on the amount the percentage is based on. Example, 1% on £30,000 is £300pa where as 2.5% on £6360 is £159pa yet the pensioner still has to pay rent, council tax, gas, electricity, food and general living expenses. The only difference is work related travel. I am not saying it is right, just putting forward another view point which people may or may not agree with. Like all debates, there are two sides of the coin. 

A percentage rise always favours the better off ,I thought the old Ted Heath pay raises were good a rise in a Cash sum plus a small percentage, were quite fair...Davybe

34 minutes ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

We have suffered routing cuts in our area which may be related to your link. We may be both right??Our bus pass in Wales is very limited to local travel ,I san use the bus from Rhyl or Prestatyn to the end of its journey  ,but no further.

I have a friend in Edinburgh who is a top rate tax payer ,at 60 he got his bus pass  ,it saves him a fortune in fares and parking ,he still cannot see the reasoning as he could well afford to pay ,as he had done in the past.

For what it's worth ,with the election's of the new City Mayor's I think that eventually the plan will be that any funding they want they will have to raise themselves ,not keep going back to the treasury ? Will it have an effect on demand and political promises ?....Davybe

Edited by Davybe

14 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

I recall a colleague saying to me many years ago that "life wasn't meant to be fair".  He was not wrong.  In many different things, fairness does not always come into it and we just have to put up with what comes our way.

13 hours ago, towny44 said:

Hi  The common misconception is that TV licences are free for pensioners this is not true you have to be 75 years or older for this concession .  Another is that older people get free passports but you have to 80 years old, and since the duration of a passport is 10 years most of the applicants on average will be 85 before they qualify.  Obviously free prescriptions and eye tests for over 60's is universal.  On the subject of the triple lock I don't see any problems with this, most of the complaints about the cost of system is by younger tax payers but they will become pensioners and will benefit from the scheme eventually.

4 hours ago, Land Ahoy said:

Hi  The common misconception is that TV licences are free for pensioners this is not true you have to be 75 years or older for this concession .  Another is that older people get free passports but you have to 80 years old, and since the duration of a passport is 10 years most of the applicants on average will be 85 before they qualify.  Obviously free prescriptions and eye tests for over 60's is universal.  On the subject of the triple lock I don't see any problems with this, most of the complaints about the cost of system is by younger tax payers but they will become pensioners and will benefit from the scheme eventually.

Unfortunately there are a lot of pensioners out there who have received state pensions from 65 (some females at 60) currently the age is increasing for younger people to 66 then 67 and can see it eventually going up to 70 plus a lot of younger are not getting a guaranteed rise of 2.5% yearly and as we have been told many times by politicians I thought we were all in this together.

20 hours ago, Land Ahoy said:

Sadly all the past politicians in charged Kicked the pension problem into the long grass ,if they had faced up to the pension problem 20 years ago we would not have the problems we have today.

The equalising  of the pension age I agreed with (Equality) but as the state pension is run on a hand to mouth bases ,with no back up funds ,the only way to increases benefits is to tax more or borrow more,Borrowing is kicking the can down the road and leaving someone else with a problem?

The youngsters who seem to blame my generation for all there problems will not complain when they inherit  the efforts of the elders when we pop our clogs....Davybe  

Looks like the Triple Lock on Pensions will go ,along  with some of us not getting the winter fuel allowance .

Ether a brave or stupid policy ,it could backfire big style,though you never know...Davybe 

Lets be honest there are many OAPs out there that are not in need of the money so think it is only right that it should be means tested and only those poorer OAPs get it. The elderly have done very well since the financial crash and why should only the younger suffer and I don't hack the idea I have paid for it all my life in taxes argument because it is a benefit that has not always been available and a lot of younger will have paid taxes all their life and when it comes to there time they will not get a lot of the benefits that elderly do now.

On 10 May 2017 at 5:35 PM, sinbad10 said:

Unfortunately there are a lot of pensioners out there who have received state pensions from 65 (some females at 60) currently the age is increasing for younger people to 66 then 67 and can see it eventually going up to 70 plus a lot of younger are not getting a guaranteed rise of 2.5% yearly and as we have been told many times by politicians I thought we were all in this together.

Err, hang on a minute.  I am currently 63 and until I was well into my 50s I thought I would be retiring at 60.   Because of successive Government changes, I now won't be retiring until I am 66 and a half.   So sorry, Sinbad, it's not just younger people who are affected.   I have worked so far for 47 years, non-stop, no children, so no returns on my life's investment in the Government!    I think my husband and I, he has worked slightly longer than me, have paid enough in to be entitled to our £200 heating allowance - whatever younger people may think.

It should not apply  only  to those pensioners  receiving credits there should be a  reasonable cut off point for the £200 fuel allowance, not everyone was able to retire on a good pension many  through no fault of their own.

A pensioner who is just above the  line where he could receive theses credits is struggling  and to take the £2oo away would probably sink him so lets. be fair.

As regards the triple lock again these small increases have allowed those again in between not able to claim credits and just managing  to keep their heads above water, also the bus passes  unless you live in London where you can get free travel by bus or rail in rural areas these   give some a lifeline   to get to shops and banks. and company.

Someone also mentioned stopping free prescriptions for OAP'S why?  the people who rely on them now are old and retired and have paid in and not claimed them most of their working life so surely their entitled the rich won't claim as they have private insurance  neither do they uses bus passes,  we are the only country in the UK who are not entitled to free prescriptions why?

I visit a lot of older people and I know they are struggling because they are above the credits level this needs serious thought before taking away these benefits.

I always worry when we go down the means tested route, I can forsee many stashing the cash at home in an unsafe environment in a bid to avoid those in the government knowing what they have or haven't got. Where do you draw the breadline? and all the more where do you draw the pension threshold line by the time I get to the magical age I probably wont get a pension or be able to retire at all unless illness takes over. I personally dont begrudge any pensioner who has paid in all their life receiving a bit of help just those who haven't contributed at all!!!!

I arrived in this world with nothing(other than my parents love) and intend to to leave the same way even if it means me in a box made of packing crates on November the 5th and to all those politicians who claim to be looking after my wellbeing  your only in it for yourself!