Britannia Mediterranean Cruise 16th April, 2017

We had cruised on Britannia in 2015 its first year to the Canaries and we decided to try the Mediterranean the price we thought was good for a balcony with a restricted view on G Deck. This balcony was fine and the view was not that restrictive if I would book this type of cabin again to gain a cheaper price. We overlooked a life boat, but it did not restrict our view too much. The cabin was fine and provided a reasonable amount of space. Our cabin Stewardess Carol was excellent. Keeping the cabin tidy at all times.

We found the entertainment in the Headliners Theatre by the show team to be excellent. The background effects on the Britannia where brilliant. Now that they have 3 main shows per evening one can now get a seat, in 2015 you had to be there ½ hour before, a good improvement. All the other guest entertainers also very good.

Horizon provided generally good food, however I found that the fried eggs always seemed cold to warm! Other times seemed to be a lack of green vegetables to go with some of the food.

Monte Carlo! Oh dear Britannia you did it again, unable to visit port due to wind in the afternoon. No plan B for another port. On other cruise lines when unable to visit a port for some reason they have arranged for another port why cannot P & O do this. One of the reasons I booked this cruise was because of the visit to Monaco and after speaking to many other passengers they also booked because of this venue.  An apology from the captain is not good enough not even a free drink to compensate! Very poor! I feel that P & O will have an awful lot of complaints. Should this port be removed from the Med cruises and replaced with another?

Last year on the Oceana and Monaco was on the destination again we could not tender because of the swell but at least the captain went there to look to see if possible and sent a tender out. I was thinking of booking the F1 trip to Monaco, but if P & O`s record of this port is anything to go by the trip could well be ruined by not being able to attend the race!

We dined in the Meridian Restaurant with freedom dining. Very little waiting time and all in all the restaurant was very good and service excellent, the food however was a little mixed some very good and other not so good.

The guest speakers on board were very good, daytime activities on board ship are now old hat and quite boring some other activities need to be arranged.

We also seemed to be always faced with long queues to get on and off the ship, would like to hear other passengers views?

I bet they did not reimburse you your port taxes and fees that they charged you in your cruise fare for your call at Monte Carlo. We didn't call at 2 ports on our Princess cruise last summer and within 24hrs they reimbursed to port fees/taxes to your onboard account. We have missed a few ports of call with P&O over the years and never have been reimbursed they have kept the money as pure profit.

Unfortunately, the winds and sea swell in that area are unpredictable.  We called in to Villefranche (just outside Nice) some years ago in the Summer.  Oriana was anchored and we tendered in fine but as the day went on, the wind got up and Oriana was ordered out of the small bay by the Harbourmaster as she was dragging her anchor.  By the time she was allowed back and the tenders started again, it was 10.00pm before we finally got back on board.  For today's bigger - and much higher - ships high winds are a major problem.

Good to hear that you enjoyed your cruise nonetheless.

If it is down to the wind being too strong and in the 'wrong' direction, it could be too dangerous to berth as the ship could be slammed into the side of the quay.  I once left Zeebrugge aboard Oriana in a really strong wind and the Captain had to go full throttle on the bow thrusters to get get away from the quayside.  Fortunately it had not been so strong in the morning when we docked.

18 minutes ago, afcandrew said:

If it is down to the wind being too strong and in the 'wrong' direction, it could be too dangerous to berth as the ship could be slammed into the side of the quay.  I once left Zeebrugge aboard Oriana in a really strong wind and the Captain had to go full throttle on the bow thrusters to get get away from the quayside.  Fortunately it had not been so strong in the morning when we docked.

In fairness afcandrew modern ships have much more powerful thrusters and more of them,  than ships like Oriana built over 20 years ago. Many ships now feature azipods allowing the ships to be as powerful sideways as going forward or astern. The other point is you can still use a tug if required but most companies to not want the expense, they would rather passengers miss the port of call and hope they don't complain.

23 minutes ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

In fairness afcandrew modern ships have much more powerful thrusters and more of them,  than ships like Oriana built over 20 years ago. Many ships now feature azipods allowing the ships to be as powerful sideways as going forward or astern. The other point is you can still use a tug if required but most companies to not want the expense, they would rather passengers miss the port of call and hope they don't complain.

I am sure you will find that the use of thrusters can damage harbour walls. With such a large vessel any significant use of thrusters could create, effectively, a mini suunarmy that could cause millions of pounds of damage to the boats in the harbour. 

2 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

A little puzzled about Monte Carlo as to why you couldn't berth at the quayside. Every time I have been there were have berthed at the quayside, the last being on Azura which although not as long at Britannia does more importantly have the same draft, infact a few inches more.

We called at Monte Carlo on Britannia maiden cruise but we did not berth along the quay but dropped anchor in the bay and tendered in.  Weather was fine in the morning but the winds and sea swells increased during the day and ended up with the tender service being stopped for a period causing massive queues on the quayside. It was that bad that the Captain was on the moorings for the tenders on Britannia and came onto every tender and told everyone what was going to happen and wanted everyone to be careful for their own health and safety reasons. We did hear later that one of the staff helping you off the tender was injured during the afternoon.

2 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Fair point.  I may be wrong but I don't think Britannia has Azipod propulsion though?  Also, although the modern ships will have more power, the sheer size and 'squarer' design will also offer more wind resistance, so it may be that one cancels out the other?  I am not a technical sort of person so would not like to argue this though :).

10 hours ago, afcandrew said:

Fair point.  I may be wrong but I don't think Britannia has Azipod propulsion though?  Also, although the modern ships will have more power, the sheer size and 'squarer' design will also offer more wind resistance, so it may be that one cancels out the other?  I am not a technical sort of person so would not like to argue this though :).

Good morning afcandrew

You are correct, Britannia does not have azipods but conventional propulsion. My mention of azipods was really in connection with your previous post, comparing Oriana and many modern ships.

OWT

14 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

We called at Monte Carlo on Britannia maiden cruise but we did not berth along the quay but dropped anchor in the bay and tendered in.  Weather was fine in the morning but the winds and sea swells increased during the day and ended up with the tender service being stopped for a period causing massive queues on the quayside. It was that bad that the Captain was on the moorings for the tenders on Britannia and came onto every tender and told everyone what was going to happen and wanted everyone to be careful for their own health and safety reasons. We did hear later that one of the staff helping you off the tender was injured during the afternoon.

36 minutes ago, David Jamesatrine said:

Monte Carlo berth is too small for Britannia, hence my point should Monte  Carlo be on any Britannia call!

Yes it should because it is a beautiful port of call you cannot remove all tender ports of call just in case they get the occasional bad weather.

Hi in reply to davids comments on brittania.we too were on this cruise and were very disapointed.i get the fact about the sea being too rough.my complaint is we were offered no compensation ,a drink, or anything NOT GOOD p&o. Also someone told us this happened last year. Could it be because of the large ammount of disabled people on board.it would have took a long time to get those people onto a tender.also we were told we were getting a queen bed.when we looked it was 2 single beds pushed together! 

On 14/05/2017 at 4:49 PM, annieamh said:

Hi in reply to davids comments on brittania.we too were on this cruise and were very disapointed.i get the fact about the sea being too rough.my complaint is we were offered no compensation ,a drink, or anything NOT GOOD p&o. Also someone told us this happened last year. Could it be because of the large ammount of disabled people on board.it would have took a long time to get those people onto a tender.also we were told we were getting a queen bed.when we looked it was 2 single beds pushed together! 

It is not down to how many disabled people are on board that may be an unfair comment to make especially to those who are disabled, and also you will find on every ship that the bed, if you have requested a 'queen/king/double' it will always be 2 singles pushed together unless the cabin details actually state it is a 'fixed double' room.