Car Park Ruined Passengers Cruise After Putting Suitcase On The Wrong Ship.

It may just be every holidaymakers worst nightmare, you arrive on holiday but your case doesn’t.  This happened to a local couple from Nottingham, it wasn’t a airline that left them in this predicament but “Alternative Cruise Parking” who were responsible for loading their cases onto the ship.  They'd been advised to catch a bus to the ship and their suitcases would be loaded on for them.  Unfortunately there was an incorrect transfer of luggage by the car parking provider which left them a case down.  P&O did try an assist them with extra On Board Credit for essentials, but on a weeklong Ventura Cruise it didn’t help, as the lady was left unable to find any suitable outfits for the evening.

I really don’t know what I would do if it happened to me, even worse if it was my partners not saying he’s a poser but he takes longer than most of my friends to get ready. :blink:

Hi I have had a similar experience with airlines over the years but not with ship/car park porters.   One shouldn't pack his and her suitcases but pack luggage for both sexes in different cases to minimise the risk of this occurring.   I am pleased to read that the cruise line did offer OBC to cover the extra expenses incurred as it certainly wasn't their fault.  The couple may be able to claim compensation from their travel insurance .   These things happen, just accept the situation, and don't let it mar your holiday

Edited by Land Ahoy

I've never had this happen to me before with car parking but it has crossed my mind. It's a risk we take both with coach companies and car parking at Southampton. It is one of the reasons why I do tend to use the designated parking companies for cruise lines like CPS and APB. I've never had a problem with those companies and although they are often a little more expensive, I'd prefer that piece of mind. 

:o I don't know what I would do if this happened to me! It would certainly make my holiday less enjoyable. It's great to hear that P&O Cruises did try and help out despite this not being a fault of their own, but there's still nothing like not having your own essentials - more so when it comes to Black Tie nights. These do things do happen, but I have to agree with some of the comments above, I'd rather park with designated parking company, though more expensive it certainly worth the piece of mind in my opinion. 

As The Seven Seas says these things do happen but it would be my worst nightmare, when travelling on a flight when you go to collect your cases I literally panic until both cases are off the belt and with me! I had never thought about it with a cruise from the UK you just assume everything will be fine so this story will give me something to panic about haha :blink:

We only had a problem with missing luggage coming back from a cruise,Got lost in the USA or Heathrow ,"So Sorry they said" We Will deliver them to your home " No waiting to pick up our cases just picked up the car a drove home Easy Peasy .

We were told by one couple that there luggage had been taken back to St Helen's on the coach as the driver failed to spot there case in the corner ?,luckily we have never had any problem using the coach companies...Davybe

19 hours ago, Born Free said:

Always use CPS and ABP - so much easier than messing around with the silly shuttle buses

Even if you use an offsite car park there is nothing to stop you dropping off your luggage yourself, and then driving back to the car park if you really have concerns about losing luggage.

I would be inconsolable it's ok saying you can buy stuff as you go, but if you have two or three sea days you can't buy knickers, and bras, I have never seen boxer shorts either, so do you spend all your time in the launderette washing what you were wearing. Also why did nobody see the luggage labels were incorrect for that ship.

my heart goes out to those passengers.

I would say I always (we) unload our luggage our selves and see we're the porter takes it we also give them a good tip, and a smile, so far not let us down.

On 4/28/2017 at 0:23 PM, The Seven Seas said:

:o I don't know what I would do if this happened to me! It would certainly make my holiday less enjoyable. It's great to hear that P&O Cruises did try and help out despite this not being a fault of their own, but there's still nothing like not having your own essentials - more so when it comes to Black Tie nights. These do things do happen, but I have to agree with some of the comments above, I'd rather park with designated parking company, though more expensive it certainly worth the piece of mind in my opinion. 

This has happened to us, we arrived in Vancouver and our luggage was still at Heathrow, we had taken a regional flight from Manchester to Heathrow and checked our luggage straight through unfortunately it never made the Air Canada flight :( as it happened there was a BA flight coming in later that night and they said they would put our luggage on that, it was a stressful few hours until we were reunited with our luggage as we were booked on a cruise to Alaska the following day but funnily enough the only thing which really concerned me was I didn't have clean underwear :o ( although I did manage to buy some in Vancouver just in case ) this particular cruise rates very highly in my 'top 3 cruises' but the beginning and the end were a disaster ( I won't go into the end !! ) we had an amazing cruise and an even more amazing post cruise experience in Canada but the flights .. enough said :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, *Dancing Queen* said:

This has happened to us, we arrived in Vancouver and our luggage was still at Heathrow, we had taken a regional flight from Manchester to Heathrow and checked our luggage straight through unfortunately it never made the Air Canada flight :( as it happened there was a BA flight coming in later that night and they said they would put our luggage on that, it was a stressful few hours until we were reunited with our luggage as we were booked on a cruise to Alaska the following day but funnily enough the only thing which really concerned me was I didn't have clean underwear :o ( although I did manage to buy some in Vancouver just in case ) this particular cruise rates very highly in my 'top 3 cruises' but the beginning and the end were a disaster ( I won't go into the end !! ) we had an amazing cruise and an even more amazing post cruise experience in Canada but the flights .. enough said :rolleyes:

I'm glad you were finally reunited with your luggage. What a nightmare! I can't imagine how that poor couple felt it would have ruined my cruise I'm afraid.

Perhaps you'll tell us about the end of your cruise one day.;)

I don't understand how they lost the luggage. You pass your suitcases to the driver and watch them loaded onto the shuttle bus. You get in the shuttle bus and travel to the ship. You get off the shuttle bus and walk around to the back where the driver gives you your suitcases. Then you take them to the correct porter drop off next to the ship. How do they get lost? Unless the shuttle bus was dropping off at another ship first, but then I would be watching very carefully that my cases didn't come off at that point.

3 minutes ago, iknowlescourier said:

I don't understand how they lost the luggage. You pass your suitcases to the driver and watch them loaded onto the shuttle bus. You get in the shuttle bus and travel to the ship. You get off the shuttle bus and walk around to the back where the driver gives you your suitcases. Then you take them to the correct porter drop off next to the ship. How do they get lost? Unless the shuttle bus was dropping off at another ship first, but then I would be watching very carefully that my cases didn't come off at that point.

I have been thinking about this and ,as your Tags are colour coded and contain the cruise ref number your cabin and cruise ship info plus the load point info for the baggage handlers ,are there so many people handling our luggage that no one spotted the cases were in the wrong area....Davybe

Using Parking For Cruises you drop off your luggage at the port, then the car at the short term car park. On return you can collect the car then load the luggage at the pick up area, I found this better than having to push the luggage trolleys to the car park.

We used Cruise Operator parking 4 years ago never had problems before but half way through cruise a family emergency meant we flew back , we were unable to get our car for over 2 days told security reasons !this was all we needed on top of the emergency . Since then we have used an excellent parkonmydrive.com service of which there are lots in Southampton, the one we use offer private transfer to and from the Port, it is easy convenient and also cheaper and best of all no problem with getting access to your own car at any point should it be required.

We learned a very hard lesson many years ago - pack half and half in your partner's case so if one gets lost you will still have half of your luggage.  It does take a bit longer to pack but well worth while if there is a problem.  Only remember to put the right shoes with the right dress in the same case!

Also we both always pack a change of underwear and a clean t shirt in our hand luggage "just in case"  we have seen it happen so many times over the years and after 50 + cruises we would'nt do it any other way.

We have seen luggage loaded on to the wrong ship from the key side in Florida so it can happen anywhere!

Never had a problem with the ships' services but 3 out of four recent flights with BA through Heathrow resulted in our luggage not keeping up with us. Promises made by the airline that it would be on the next flight failed to come to fruition.

On one particular occasion we were told that it could not be delivered to our Edinburgh home as this is not our primary address. Had we been staying in a hotel, that would have been OK. Even suggested that if there was a hotel nearby  the Edinburgh address they would deliver it there and we could pick it up. 

Result is that we try to avoid BA and particularly Heathrow wherever possible. We do tend to "cross pack" so losing one case is not such a problem but losing all is a nightmare when going on a cruise as it is next to impossible for it to catch up where there are several sea days out of Southampton.

Edited by naamah
mis-typing

We had this happen to us last year on a cruise to Figi. Our suite case went missing at the airport in England. When we arrived in Australia one case light,and panic stations. My wife was all set for getting straight back on the plane for home.We where on Princess cruise and they were brilliant. They gave us on board credit to cover essentials and offered me a tuxedo for the formal night and free laundry. Our case followed us around the islands for ten day days befor it turned up.The one good thing is my wife does all the packing and she shares both our clothes between the two cases so we had something to wear.