What is the best way to get to Times Square from the Brooklyn cruise terminal?

If you are tech savy, the city mapper app is a must, you put in where you want to go and it maps out public transport include bus numbers or metro stations and how far away the next one is. I would definately recommend getting a metro card, unlimited metro and bus rides and a day pass is a few dollars, definately cheaper than the hop on hop off buses

Are you there just for the day and returning back to Brooklyn at the end of the day. When we did a roundtrip on QM2 they arranged a shuttle bus you could book on the ship and it dropped you off at Macy's and then picked you up for return  but it wasn't cheap. If you are staying in New York and not returning Brooklyn then just getting a taxi outside the terminal will be the easiest but not cheap and be beware that if you are returning back it is not so easy apparently just to wave down a taxi in Manhattan as some will not take you to Brooklyn. Cheapest is by far the underground if you are brave enough to walk from cruise terminal to nearest underground station in Brooklyn and if you feel safe enough to use the underground in New York.

This is an interesting request as the P&O cruise, in September, is berthing in Brooklyn. The cruise line appear to have stopped their advertised shuttle so pax are now needing to sort out their own arrangements. It looks like there are 2factors which commercially lead to using Brooklyn rather than the much better Manhattan terminal one is the financial support paid by Carnival to the Brooklyn Terminal and the other is to encourage more excursions being booked from P&O rather than pax doing their own thing.

• 5 months later...

I don't know how others have fared, but we were at the Brooklyn terminal for two days with "Aurora" this month.  "Aurora" is not a big ship by any means but the queue for the hourly ferry (taking 150 passengers) stretched out of the ferry premises and into the parking area.  On the first day they did put on one additional ferry, but that was it.  Walk, bus and subway was the only alternative.  No shuttle.  Second day was Sunday........   Returning to the ship in the evening was no better.  I would really think hard before going there again.  The only remedy is to use P&O excursions.  Never thought of THAT!

Edited by HughieG
Added point
2 hours ago, HughieG said:

I don't know how others have fared, but we were at the Brooklyn terminal for two days with "Aurora" this month.  "Aurora" is not a big ship by any means but the queue for the hourly ferry (taking 150 passengers) stretched out of the ferry premises and into the parking area.  On the first day they did put on one additional ferry, but that was it.  Walk, bus and subway was the only alternative.  No shuttle.  Second day was Sunday........   Returning to the ship in the evening was no better.  I would really think hard before going there again.  The only remedy is to use P&O excursions.  Never thought of THAT!

I was also on that cruise where, fortunately, we ended up having 2.5 days in New York. A good way to get across to Pier 11 is by New York Ferry - get the NYF app on your phone as it gives the ferry schedules as well as allowing you to buy electronic tickets. We used this alot and it saved time. I am not sure about the hour wait as, if there were sufficient numbers, the ticket collector on the pier messaged and within 10 minutes a ferry arrived which was often not scheduled. On the first day, when we should not have been there, there was a delay but as soon as NYF realised a cruise ship was in Red Hook then the were running every 10 minutes until the ques had gone after which time they reverted to timetable. For $2.75 each way they are a good deal.

if you want to see NY at night then you can try the P&O excursions. We were lucky as we had a great guide and set off on time but I do know there were significant problems, on that cruise, with tours either setting off late or not at all! 

The third day, Sunday, was great as the ferry went via the Govenor's Island but also meant it was busier than usual as the "locals" went there for their weekend recreation.

One other thing to mention is the view of Manhatten and the Statue of Liberty is stunning, especially at night. The Aurora cruise coincided with 9/11 weekend so we were fortunate to see the memorial beam going into the sky when on the aft decks of the ship.

if you do not want to use the ferry then several crew went into Manhatten by bus whilst other people used the Metro. We certainly had a great time but very busy 😎