Why do people moan about using the hand gel onboard

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This type of person will more than likely moan about anything and everything. If they don't realise that this procedure is for the good of the ship then they are just plain ignorant. It's probably the

It infuriates me when I go into the buffet and people stand and moan loudly about having to use the hand gel surely these people should be happy that hygiene onboard is of paramount importance

DIRTY PEOPLE!!!!!!

On Azura in September all hand gel was removed after 48 hours as "it was not necessary any more".   Many people complained and some even phoned P & O to complain. 48 hours later there was an "increase of gastr-intestinal symptoms reported". Full anti Noro procedures were in place resulting in loss of some services (pool side grill etc.) and impacted on others (buffet, removal of condiments from dinner tables etc.).

It makes one wonder!?!

Guest shilly3191

On our recent Princess cruise there was no reported problems of gastrointestinal or norovirus but there was hand gel at the entrance to the ship at ports, at MDR and buffet and never saw anybody not use it or complain about using it.

• 3 months later...

Ive stood behind a chap arguing with the staff before he even got on the ship as using the hand gel meant he had to put his bags down - I have to say the other 'ship mates' did make sure that they gave him an evil stare as they got on - I repeat everything that has already been said 'ITS FOR THEIR OWN GOOD' just do it!!!!angry.png

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

noro virus should be reserved entirely for these people, it might give them the nasty surprise they deserve, then its their fault!!!

noro virus should be reserved entirely for these people, it might give them the nasty surprise they deserve, then its their fault!!!

The people who refuse or moan about using the antiseptic jell would be the first to blame the cruise line or ship if they got it. They would never accept that they were the cause for all the sickness.

People not washing after using the toilet is just a no no. As for the gel this also affects my skin but I have a tube of cream in the cabin to use later. My wife retired from the NHS 2 years ago and part of her duties was to teach both staff and patients the correct way to wash your hands. Rubbing your hands together under running water hot or cold is just as effective as doing the same with soap. Making sure that you rub between the fingers as well not just front and back of the hands.

As long as my wife, and I, use gel then it is up to everyone else to decide what they want to do. We go along with all recommendations just for safety's sake.

That's fine as far as it goes but bear in mind that those who don't wash their hands after going to the loo and don't use the gels either then go on to use the tongs, serving utensils, condiments etc thereby passing on any contamination to anybody following them.

Add to the mix those who lay the dirty ends of their walking sticks (rather not imagine where they have been) on tables in order to reserve them or use the ends of their sticks to call a lift and you find it can be very easy to pick up norovirus. I have had it and I never want it again.

That's fine as far as it goes but bear in mind that those who don't wash their hands after going to the loo and don't use the gels either then go on to use the tongs, serving utensils, condiments etc thereby passing on any contamination to anybody following them.

Add to the mix those who lay the dirty ends of their walking sticks (rather not imagine where they have been) on tables in order to reserve them or use the ends of their sticks to call a lift and you find it can be very easy to pick up norovirus. I have had it and I never want it again.

One of my pet hates are those people who press the lift buttons with their walking sticks. How selfish!! and dirty!!

Don't use the buffet - go to the MDR and let them seat you. Cuts out alot of the worry as no one puts their sticks on the table either.

One of my pet hates are those people who press the lift buttons with their walking sticks. How selfish!! and dirty!!

Use your elbow to push the lift button..you can't get that near your gob to catch it....when inside the lift ask one of the other occupants to press for your floor..never do it yourself unless you have to.

And the one constant on those ships that continually have norovirus is the crew.

It can't always be the passengers.

Use your elbow to push the lift button..you can't get that near your gob to catch it....when inside the lift ask one of the other occupants to press for your floor..never do it yourself unless you have to.

And the one constant on those ships that continually have norovirus is the crew.

It can't always be the passengers.

I never touch the lift button. If someone else is willing I let them do it. I'm the one people see with a tissue (clean one) or a wet wipe pushing the button. I agree with you on this, people are quick to blame the passengers. Lets face it how hygienic are the crew.We were on the Oceana this year when it failed the tests by the USA and one of the reasons is a crew member was working in the kitchen with gastroenteritis at 7.30 am and did not report to the medical centre until after 11 am.

Just a thought but I have always assumed that 1 lot of passengers get off, the ship is cleaned & the next lot get on so how does a ships visit affect this. Lunch is included so are the visitors still there when the cruise passengers embark or does embarkation times get pushed back? Are the public areas cleaned again when the visitors leave or do we hope that they've used the hand gel? Just wondered as our next cruise starts on a ships visit day.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been looking at some of the comments on this thread and for a change I am going to compliment cruise lines by offering a cashless system onboard, as we all know one of the biggest germ ridden items we deal with every day is cash!! So I suppose we should be grateful that the public dont have to use cash on the ship as all the problems could be made a whole lot worse

• 1 month later...

I know I'm totally OCD but the first thing I do when I enter my cabin on arrival is clean it with Dettol wipes. Door handles,remote control,fridge,light switches air conditioning control panel, hair dryer,everything in the bathroom. I avoid touching handrails on board and never use the lifts. Using the stairs is a great way to exercise! I always use the gels and take my own antibacterial hand soap which I use everytime I enter my cabin. Bottom line is I've paid a lot of money for my cruise and want to enjoy it without getting sick and ending up being quarantined for 48 hours which happened to me on a previous cruise.

I have been looking at some of the comments on this thread and for a change I am going to compliment cruise lines by offering a cashless system onboard, as we all know one of the biggest germ ridden items we deal with every day is cash!! So I suppose we should be grateful that the public dont have to use cash on the ship as all the problems could be made a whole lot worse

So what do uou do with the plastic card that is handed over, used in a machine with all sorts of other cards going into the same machine, and then handed back? Not to mention where the cards are kept (pockets, etc).