Why do people moan about using the hand gel onboard

Do you think that if people suffering from a skin disorder such as Eczema were seen to apply their own gel at the MDR entrance this would cut dramatically the allegations of people entering the MDR without using the gel? As for the toilet doors, I was in Israel recently and went to a toilet in a shopping mall. This had an automatic sliding door so there was no need to touch anything after you had washed your hands. Food for thought.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This type of person will more than likely moan about anything and everything. If they don't realise that this procedure is for the good of the ship then they are just plain ignorant. It's probably the

It infuriates me when I go into the buffet and people stand and moan loudly about having to use the hand gel surely these people should be happy that hygiene onboard is of paramount importance

DIRTY PEOPLE!!!!!!

Do you think that if people suffering from a skin disorder such as Eczema were seen to apply their own gel at the MDR entrance this would cut dramatically the allegations of people entering the MDR without using the gel? As for the toilet doors, I was in Israel recently and went to a toilet in a shopping mall. This had an automatic sliding door so there was no need to touch anything after you had washed your hands. Food for thought.

I have my gel attached to my belt loop and I apply it at the door like everyone else only thing you don't get is the noise from the dispenser but I expect there are still people who think "She didn't use the gel". Love the idea of automatic exit doors wonder how costly they would be?

Hi  From personal experience I have rarely heard people maoning about not using the hand gels provided but I have noted many don't use the cleaner..  I can't enforce their use only the ship's company can do this.  If don't, then either the cruise line doesn't think there's a major problem but if they believe it's a serious issue they should have a member of staff dispensing the gel at the entrance.

• 1 month later...

Next time you are in Port observe the passengers coming back on board , you may be shocked at the numbers who while using the gel place there cruise card in there mouth then place it back in there hand before passing it to security staff!

We have observed this surprisingly widespread practise on every cruise we have been on

We carry our cruise cards in a plastic pocket on a lanyard .

On my very first Celebrity cruise on Century several years back - on one of the formal nights there was a member of staff in the Gents handing you a towel to dry your hands with. That was a service too far for me. I'm more that capable of picking up a nice fluffy towel myself. Poor chap - what a job. 

cheers

Harvey

Guest Solent Richard

Not sure if it is this forum where I mentioned it before, but on Eclipse most of the toilets were staffed, at least at busy times. As well as keeping the toilets clean I'm sure it embarassed people into washing their hands who may otherwise not have bothered.

I too recall staff being in attendance at busy times on the Eclipse.

Indeed. it reminds me of a little anecdote I have related elsewhere.

On my first night on Eclipse I had been drinking in the Martini Bar. It was time for dinner and there was a 'gents' ideally placed between the bar and the restaurant.

Having consumed a considerable amount since boarding I clearly missed the 'auto' push for the gents door and needed to exert some pressure to open the door. All of a sudden the door literally flew open and there in front of me stood the attendant.

"Welcome to my office Sir" was his greeting in a deep Romanian accent.

Needless to say I did my business 'in the office' and, as Harvey says, the guy handed me a towel after I had washed my hands. There was a little bit of banter between us, I thanked him for his service and bid him goodnight.

The Martini Bar before dinner was our favourite...

8503993926_edeb9f160f_z.jpg

and each evening I  called into the office of Mihai (that was his name) and our banter continued each evening. I too thought that his job was not that great but his attitude and humour were outstanding. I christened him Vlad the Mop and each and every evening after that first encounter gave him a $1 tip for his service...

9084058414_8e2742935f_z.jpg

I often wonder where Mihai is today.

• 3 weeks later...

Like the idea of automatic sliding doors.You wash your hands clean but follow a person out who does not.You pick up their germs of the door handle.Just an aside which has nothing what ever to do with this rant.Our local hospital,Kings Mill in Mansfield Notts had a problem last year,alkis were consuming the hand gel because of the high alcohol content.It was reported on Radio Nottingham.A story to go to bed with.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had just visited the ladies which was situated right outside the buffet, I washed my hands and used a paper towel to open the door.  I immediately entered the buffet and was still asked to use the gel.  The gel is very harsh and has been known to affect nail polish, maybe that is why some ladies don't use it?  Or maybe they have just washed their hands and see no reason to use the gel as well?  Not everyone is dirty, but a lot of people don't like being told what to do.

A very valid post Fudge. However, whilst I am sure the majority of people are careful with personal hygiene and wash their hands the people standing on the doors of the restaurants do not know who they are, therefore they have to treat everyone the same. As for the nail polish issue, it may cause the ladies concerned inconvenience but I really cannot accept that as a reason not to comply with the rules of the ship. Certainly I have not heard my wife complain or indeed any other ladies.

OWT I can appreciate why staff do not make exceptions for someone saying that they have just washed their hands because they don't know if that is true or not.  I always use the gel but have heard that some find it harsh and that it can affect nail polish.  Shilly I wouldn't say it was a question of priorities but more that some people may not consider they may fall victim to the dreaded norovirus and will therefore not take any of the precautions the rest of us take. 

Effective hand washing is the most efficient method of removing bacteria and the sanitising gel provides a little extra protection. However, it has been known to cause irritation and breakdown of the skin. Quite seriously, in some cases. Have to say that it has never affected my nail varnish though.

It has to be noted that if you do not use automatic taps, you turn on the tap with dirty hands, wash your hands and then re-contaminate one hand when you turn off the tap. Hence the need for sanitising gel before entering a food establishment.

Just out of interest, I have recently read  a medical report indicating that before 2015, companies must demonstrate evidence to show that their anti-bacterial soaps

are more effective than normal soap. Because of this requirement, Johnson & Johnson have already removed their product from the market.