cruise chef

Paris by train from Le Havre on Celebrity Eclipse

I’m on the Celebrity taster weekend in May to Paris.  I wondered if you knew what the trains from Le Havre into Paris were like and whether you reckon it’s worth going in for 5-6 hours?

Or would my time be better spent in Le Havre or on ship?

I did this sailing last year & didn't bother with Paris.  It makes it sucha long day & when you're only on the ship for a few nights you want to make the most of your experience on there.  We stayed in Le Harve, went to a nice food market, grabbed some nice french cheese, a bagette & a bottle of wine.  We then just perched ourselves near the harbour wall & watched the day go by.

Enjoy the ship, she's wonderful.  Be careful in the Martini Bar though, they slipped something toxic in ALL my drinks that gave me a nasty headache the next day !! :D:P

11 minutes ago, cruise chef said:

I’m on the Celebrity taster weekend in May to Paris.  I wondered if you knew what the trains from Le Havre into Paris were like and whether you reckon it’s worth going in for 5-6 hours?

hi cruise chef,

I went into Paris last year when i was on a Princess cruise, i did an excursion from the ship by coach, i have to admit that it was a very long journey but i thought it was worth it. Having never visited Paris I found that the guide on the coach was great his knowledge about the city was second to none, i saw all of the landmarks i wanted to see and even had time for a lovely lunch in a traditional restaraunt, all in all a great experience. i'm sorry i dont know about the train i will watch this post with interest as it is something i might do if i go to Le Harve again.

We had an amazing seafood melody at the fish market, they also have a hop on hop off bus in the town centre (one of those little trains). If you want to stay closer to the ship but eat well and see the sights this could be an option.

I think if you've got about 6 hours then that's enough time for you to do a bit of exploring in Paris and get a good insight. Especially if you've not been before then I would suggest you go. I've not done the train though we went on an excursion through the cruise line.

3 hours ago, cruise chef said:

If the is a ship excursion then do it but it is a long day. A word of caution we caught the train, a few years back, and it broke down half way there! We were refunded by SNCF for arriving late but I woukd not want to find the same thing happening again and the ship sailing without me.

You could try something closer like Honfleur.

If you have not been to Paris, my choice would be a weekend break or a Eurostar trip.  The travel time is too long for the amount of time you would have in the city from a cruise ship.  I would recommend Honfleur for a pleasant excursion.  We rented a car, but I think you can also go by bus.

If the weather is nice it is easy walk to the beach, turn left from the cruise port it's a lovely walk, 

you can get a shuttle bus to a large shopping mall, that is also nice for half day. We did both.

the trip to Paris is too short, like Satcam said better to do a weekend to Paris, we did one last year three days in a good hotel and three tours by coach together with Eurostar quite inexpensive .

just a thought, enjoy

I'm on this cruise and just going to use the ship as such a short cruise I personally dont think its worth the journey for a few hours. If I was on a longer cruise I would maye think about it

Don't bother cruise chef, even by train the journey from Le Havre to Paris St Lazare is just over 2 hours. Miss the train back and you miss the ship. Personally I would do as smtcan suggests. Honfleur is a fabulous little place. A wonderful cafe atmosphere around the harbour. Visit the old wooden church of St Catherine with it's separate bell tower. One of my favourite french towns.