Why are cruise ship swimming pools so small?

The pool areas on board always seem relatively small considering the amount of passengers on board. I know space is a premium but surely one cruise line must think about making the pools larger in order to accommodate more people. They’re often very busy which makes me ask this question. Has any cruise line outlined this as a plan in the future or are they all focusing on a ship within a ship concept like the retreat or msc’s yacht club where we have to pay for extra space?

When I was onboard Britannia I thought that the pool area did seem really spacious as though it had been designed differently to other ships I have been on. I have been in 'The Sanctury' onboard Ruby Princess which was lovely but not sure I would pay every time I travel to go into these areas.

think that is it just down to space if the pools were bigger there would be less space for sunbeds etc, personally i feel that the pools are plenty big enough for what they are used for on board. there tends to be a more than 1 pool on most ship especially the bigger ships which will have even more, we have always managed to find a quiter pool if thats what you were looking for.

I always think that the mid-ship pool areas aren't too bad. Royal Princess was one of the best for that. It's the aft pool areas that have had me scratching my head in the past. P&O's Oceana is an example of that. The aft pool on that ship is very strange. For starters it's very small but it's also under a canopy with a tiered seating area leading down to it, almost like a theatre style. It doesn't make much sense. 

I thought the pool areas on Ventura weren't too bad. They were overcrowded somedays but being split into three, all being of a decent size, I thought that was ok.

What are the pool sizes like on Royal Caribbean's big ships like Harmony? I know they have quite a few of them on board where I've seen the aerial shots of the ship but just wondered what the sizes are like in comparison to smaller ships. I'd imagine they need to be larger on those ships due to the amount of passengers on board.

It's all about stability of the ship. If you had large swimming pools with many thousands of gallons of water in them and the ship was in a rough sea imagine the weight that would be surging with the ship and could compromise its stability. I am told this is the reason that the really big ships have lots of swimming pools rather than a few very large ones. Its got nothing to do with water 'slopping' over onto the decks but safety. 

1 hour ago, sammy sun said:

What are the pool sizes like on Royal Caribbean's big ships like Harmony? I know they have quite a few of them on board where I've seen the aerial shots of the ship but just wondered what the sizes are like in comparison to smaller ships. I'd imagine they need to be larger on those ships due to the amount of passengers on board.

Harmony has about 4 pools, The Main Pool, The Beach Pool, The Sports Pool and The Splashaway Bay for kids, in my opinion there was plently of space round all 4 of them with sunbeds around the pool and on the deck above easily accessible from the stair dotted about all over, plus there are the water slides around the Main and Beach pools!

I think the pools are more than suitable. like everyone has said there are several pools around the ship. as you know there a children pools, ones for swimmers only, terrace pools. in my opinion I think they are quite a good size...and you are on a ship not in a leisure centre swimming baths!

Edited by gina1991
4 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

It's all about stability of the ship. If you had large swimming pools with many thousands of gallons of water in them and the ship was in a rough sea imagine the weight that would be surging with the ship and could compromise its stability. I am told this is the reason that the really big ships have lots of swimming pools rather than a few very large ones. Its got nothing to do with water 'slopping' over onto the decks but safety. 

Must be a tremendous amount of weight moving around those pools ,hence why we often see them empty in rough weather..Davybe 

46 minutes ago, Davybe said:

Must be a tremendous amount of weight moving around those pools ,hence why we often see them empty in rough weather..Davybe 

The bigger the ships the higher up the pools are so with the volume of water and moving weight around the ge greater instability there must be. I wonder how much movement would be required to roll the ship 😱

On 4/21/2017 at 8:02 PM, Captain Kidd II said:

The bigger the ships the higher up the pools are so with the volume of water and moving weight around the ge greater instability there must be. I wonder how much movement would be required to roll the ship 😱

They say the wind can be more of a problem than rough seas, as more of the ship is out of the water than is in the water.I presume the stabilizers  would be used when the  conditions get to rough....Davybe

1 hour ago, Davybe said:

They say the wind can be more of a problem than rough seas, as more of the ship is out of the water than is in the water.I presume the stabilizers  would be used when the  conditions get to rough....Davybe

Stabilisers only cope with roll (side to side movement) they can't stop pitch (up and down movements) caused by sea swell, which is why pools generally splash out front and back.

Still don't see why having a shallow end for me to feel safe in would cause more splash over than having it all 6 ft deep? 

On 21/04/2017 at 2:16 PM, sammy sun said:

1 hour ago, towny44 said:

Stabilisers only cope with roll (side to side movement) they can't stop pitch (up and down movements) caused by sea swell, which is why pools generally splash out front and back.

Still don't see why having a shallow end for me to feel safe in would cause more splash over than having it all 6 ft deep? 

Celebrity's new edge class will have a large pool apparently.