Divemonster

P&O Cruises to start cruise card scanning at lifeboat drills

I'd not seen this no but I do agree with it. We all know it's a pain, especially for passengers that have been through it many times before but it's still important, much like you wouldn't expect to board a flight without seeing a safety drill before you take off. People need to just accept that it's done for their safety, it doesn't take all that long. Just attend and then move on. 

I agree with P&O doing this because it puts safety first and stops ignorance getting in the way.

I read about this, elsewhere, and believe it was suggested thst Acadia had tried it. I do not understand what the problem is and hink it is a goid idea. It is a legal requirement to have the drill before sailing and, if people are under the impression that because hey have sailed many times before it does not apply to them, everyone should be more than happy to support the safety of the ship.

i do wish the ship would not start sailing whilst the drill is happening as it spoils the sailaway. 

It's a better and safer system as you'll always get some people on board that will refuse to go or think they don't need to. I've cruised plenty of times now but I still attend because I know it's for my safety. The only problem with using cruise cards is you don't know where to find them if they are not there. I know it's a bit Big Brother like but with the Princess Medallion system, passengers are not only shown as not present at the muster station but they can also be tracked down easily and advised that they must attend as it is mandatory.

I think this is a brilliant idea princess cruises have been doing this for a while and its very efficient.  we went on balmoral with fred olsen last year and the staff were manually checking passengers on a list which took quite a while.

3 hours ago, Divemonster said:

Has anyone else heard P&O are going to introduce scanning of your cruise card to ensure you attend the lifeboat drill at the start of the cruise.

MSC do this and i think its a great idea

41 minutes ago, JH327 said:

I think Royal Caribbean already do this? I'm sure when i went on Anthem & Harmony they scanned our cards for the drill. x

I think they are too. I believe it's only on their newer ships where they've introduced their bracelet concept in replacement of traditional room keys. I'm pretty sure these act similarly to the Princess medallions they've just rolled out. I can see how this works because they can track the bands to see where the passengers are, making them more likely to attend in the first place. P&O doing it with room keys though means if guests aren't there, the crew will need to find them and by that time the muster drill may be over. I like the idea of it but there are some issues that need ironing out. Perhaps it's just a trial to see how it goes before they introduce their own version of band similar to RCI and Princess.

21 minutes ago, sammy sun said:

I think they are too. I believe it's only on their newer ships where they've introduced their bracelet concept in replacement of traditional room keys. I'm pretty sure these act similarly to the Princess medallions they've just rolled out. I can see how this works because they can track the bands to see where the passengers are, making them more likely to attend in the first place. P&O doing it with room keys though means if guests aren't there, the crew will need to find them and by that time the muster drill may be over. I like the idea of it but there are some issues that need ironing out. Perhaps it's just a trial to see how it goes before they introduce their own version of band similar to RCI and Princess.

I do think its a good idea. I can't remember if they were tanoying for the people that werent there? I used the bracelet on Royal Caribbean, makes it a lot quicker especially getting into the cabin to just scan your bracelet instead of faffing to find your key card. I bet loads of people skipped the drills before, especially when they have cruised a lot. Lets face it they are boring but I'm sure these people would be the first to complain if an emergency did happen and they did'nt have the most up to date info! xx

I know I have had my card scanned on a ship when attending a drill, I think its a great idea as I believe Maritime law means they have to do this so they are being responsible in making sure everyone knows what to do, I know the blase people to cruise regularly will say I've don & seen it all before but each ship is very different so they should not treat it as a waste of time

Everytime I have been on Royal Caribbean they have scanned our cards at our muster station, think its a great idea! Plus it is funny when you see the people who try and get out of it being brought in by the staff when everyone else has been waiting for them! :lol:

I was amazed wen we sailed on Arcadia that they didn't do this.  Celebrity have been doing it for years.  Also if you don't get checked in for Celebrity muster drill then you don't sail. On P&O we witnessed many who 'didn't bother' to attend as they 'knew it all anyway.  Have sailed on Celebrity Infinity, Millennium and Eclipse - card scanned every time even on B2B.

Funny - have sailed many times on Celebrity - Eclipse, Silhouette, Millennium, Constellation, and never yet had a card scanned. They just took our names and cabin number (crossed them off their list) when we got to the muster station. Is this a very new thing?

We've been on ships where passengers had to go on deck, stand under designated lifeboat then person in charge called out room number and one person had to say how many from that cabin were present.  "no shows" we're followed up but   In hot weather, especially for older passengers, this was not pleasant. Cabin number is on life belt and we have had crew standing at entrance to lifeboat station check us off  as we entered.  

Hi I heard this a few years ago whilst talking to a safety trainer.  The reason behind this was because quite a few people did not attend the drills as they had travelled before and thought that they were wasting their time.  However mundane this may be it is very necessary.  I was on a cruise where a lady refused to put her life jacket on stating that she had cruised more than the member of staff who was asking her to comply.  Needless to say that the member of staff stood their ground and refused to let the lady leave until she had completed the task, the lady did and it was evident that she didn't know what she was doing as it was inside out and back to front!!! A huge cheer went up for the member of staff and a few choice words for the passenger. Safety is so important and for the sake of 30 mins out of your holiday could be vital.

It is mandatory yet several times we have sailed on Fred Olsen and P&O and a cabin check made, someone has been missing.  Early days it happened to us on a Celebrity, we were unable to get into the lifeboat station lounge because of crowding and failed to get names checked, we received a letter warning of the dire consequences of missing the drill.

Excellent idea scanning cruise cards at muster drill. My only concern with cruise card scanning is infection control as P&O staff handle passengers cards on disembarkation & embarkation increasing risk of infection as the staff don't use hand sanitiser between cards as it not practical within in time scale & volume of passengers. I always try to scan my card using the self scanner. The staff don't seem to like passengers using the self scanners as they take the card out of passengers hands claiming the scanners don't work!! Whilst improving safety compliance P&O need to review their approach to infection control when handling cruise cards.

Princess have been doing this for several years.  That is fine, for checking whether everyone has attended the safety drill, but it might not work in a real emergency, if the ship's computers and communication systems have failed.  However, I understand that conventional passenger lists are always available in every muster station.

On 20/04/2017 at 0:23 PM, sammy sun said:

I'd not seen this no but I do agree with it. We all know it's a pain, especially for passengers that have been through it many times before but it's still important, much like you wouldn't expect to board a flight without seeing a safety drill before you take off. People need to just accept that it's done for their safety, it doesn't take all that long. Just attend and then move on. 

I agree with P&O doing this because it puts safety first and stops ignorance getting in the way.