Is Ginger Ale A Good Remedy For Sea Sickness?

Most seasickness medication are based on anti-histamines - which to a greater or lesser extent, cause drowsiness. The only one available which is not an anti-histamine is Hyoscine & the only product licenced for motion sickness is Kwells. This is much less likely to cause drowsiness - but read the Patient Information Leaflet for other contraindications / side effects.

Some Doctors may prescribe Hyoscine as a patch - under the name Scopoderm. May not be available on NHS - but on Private Prescription

If you visit the Ship's Doctor, they may give an anti-histamine injection - which is usually promethazine (same drug as Avomine) / Phenergan) - but this may serious cause initial drowsiness, but should protect from seasickness for the remainder of the cruise - and they will charge you tens of pounds for the privilege.

Taking tablets for motion sickness - take the recommended dose from before journey & throughout journey to minimise sickness.

From experience, have found sailing around the Caribbean rarely causes this problem at all - even for sufferers.

22 hours ago, NICOLE said:

You need Avomine tablets - they actually work but can knock you out so i would only take half a tablet

My wife got them recommended by the nurse on Arcadia she has used them ever since,buying them online.

You can use Dramamine patches ,but they only on prescription, The Yanks seem to use them even in the calmest of seas...Davybe  

I was once told by a waiter that green apples were good for sea sickness, I had noticed passengers were taking them from the buffet restaurant and he said they were keeping them in their fridges in the cabin.  I have never needed to try this but often wondered if it really works. i took it that there is something in the apple peel????

Anyone else heard this???

Ginger is good for sickness, so even a ginger biscuit can help, for minor sickness, for more major sickness need medication which you have faith in, some people like the wrist bands, which are quite inexpensive, As  medical person I can tell you that an injection on. Board will cost you£50  a time, so well worth giving some thought what to pack.

Phenergan or Stugeron, and, if all else fails, retire to bed. We always take the aforementioned with us but never use them and often end up providing them to those who have come ill prepared. Why wouldn't you take them with you, just in case? You need to read the leaflet though for contraindications with other drugs.