Sign in to follow this  
Davybe

P&O Cruises' Britannia to the Canaries Cruise Review

Just Arrived back from a Canary Island cruise on Britannia, found the cruise and ship overall very good.The ship is a bit bland (IMO) and the so called artwork disappointing.

Cabin we had a Balcony cabin near the front on deck 10 quite a bit of movement even in moderate swell?But a nice cabin.

P1010787_zpsy5m8i0ku.jpg

Bathroom it does have a glass shower door but not much room to get in it .The door misses the toilet by an Inch and the sink by about 13 inches

P1010798_zpsgm8kqxky.jpg

Balcony is not a bad size but the chairs are way to big for the balcony ??

P1010800_zpsdfbogoa8.jpg

we both thought the shows were among the best we have seen on any cruise ship .the production shows being far better than the one currently running on Eclipse.Mark Walker brilliant comedy act ,and we saw the first and possibly last cruise line performance Of Paul Sinna who you will know from the "chase" Wewere told his late show was worse than the family one??

Jimmy James gave a good performance as did the singer from the holly's.we had a couple of tribute acts which were excellent.

Food We ate mainly in the restaurants both food and service were generally very good   ,we opted for freedom dining and nearly always asked and got with same waiters.

Some people complained about no room by the pools we had 300 children on the ship who not surprisingly enjoyed the main pools. but there were plenty of seating around the ship, not always where you wanted but more than enough.  .

Main Pool

area

P1010795_zpsu3q0wmif.jpg

Nice quite area near the retreat.

P1010824_zpsopujx9ug.jpg

Even better nice area near the Terrace pool.

P1010835_zpscoy0y8bw.jpg

We Both think the ship is spacious enough with wide public walk ways ,comfy seating, apart from the Studio and the theatre but overall it was very good   ,We met some very nice people and enjoyed the cruise I would sail on Britannia again but my wife is not so sure .

They still walk among us.One Man berated the entertainment staff in the theatre as "there are no seats when I get here" and got even more irate when the girls said  "well get here sooner like they all did" 

The other one was was one elderly gent trying to gt more"complimentary water" his steward was having real trouble explaining he had to pay for more water He was convinced he could keep getting more water  , Davybe

Good review Davy, I am with you I think Britannia is is too bland, I prefer the glitz and style of the US ships,  Britannia's Atrium reminds me of a John Lewis store, nothing wrong with JL but I don't want to spend my holidays there.

But for us, as my wife uses a wheelchair, the lack of a centre stairway, and the pressure it puts on the lifts which are even smaller than those on Azura and Ventura, puts Britannia a distant 3rd in our choice of a wheelchair friendly P&O ship.

34 minutes ago, towny44 said:

Good review Davy, I am with you I think Britannia is is too bland, I prefer the glitz and style of the US ships,  Britannia's Atrium reminds me of a John Lewis store, nothing wrong with JL but I don't want to spend my holidays there.

But for us, as my wife uses a wheelchair, the lack of a centre stairway, and the pressure it puts on the lifts which are even smaller than those on Azura and Ventura, puts Britannia a distant 3rd in our choice of a wheelchair friendly P&O ship.

That was our friends way of thinking, both have mobility issues and although not wheelchair users they felt the absence of a central staircase put extra pressure on the lifts and at times waited ten minutes or more, so like you they won't be hurrying back.

HLM.

22 minutes ago, HLM said:

That was our friends way of thinking, both have mobility issues and although not wheelchair users they felt the absence of a central staircase put extra pressure on the lifts and at times waited ten minutes or more, so like you they won't be hurrying back.

HLM.

Morning HLM 

The Lifts Were very slow by today's standards and the doors so slow to open,far from thebest have seen.P&O do request  that the less mobile are given  consideration in the lifts? Still plenty of people with various walking and some with scooters...Davybe

Good honest review Davybe. My wife and I were also on the same cruise.

We had a lovely Superior Deluxe balcony on 14, but agree, those balconies are so small or the chairs are too large.

I went to the Paul Sinha late show, I don't think he will be invited back.

Jimmy James was amazing.

Loved the ship, thought it was very modern, well laid out and after the first couple of days, managed to find our way round. Soon got used to the size. 

We had a brilliant time and are looking to book again on Britannia.

P.S. You must try the Eric Lanlard afternoon tea in the Epicurean. OMG. Amazing.

2017-04-04 15.30.29.jpg

Edited by MickyD
Upload picture

12 hours ago, MickyD said:

Good honest review Davybe. My wife and I were also on the same cruise.

We had a lovely Superior Deluxe balcony on 14, but agree, those balconies are so small or the chairs are too large.

I went to the Paul Sinha late show, I don't think he will be invited back.

Jimmy James was amazing.

Loved the ship, thought it was very modern, well laid out and after the first couple of days, managed to find our way round. Soon got used to the size. 

We had a brilliant time and are looking to book again on Britannia.

P.S. You must try the Eric Lanlard afternoon tea in the Epicurean. OMG. Amazing.

2017-04-04 15.30.29.jpg

Morning Micky.

That Afternoon tea looks amazing.

We went to The Epicurean for diner one night and had a really nice meal ,good food and service and good value compared to a land based restaurant serving the same standard of food  .

No ship is ever perfect and providing you accept that that  you can have a great cruise.I Use Eclipse as a comparison and Britannia  has some things that are better than Eclipse The entertainment in particular is a lot better ,plenty of live music around the ship ,and we liked watching the Dancing in the Crystal room a lot to like about the ship IMO....Davybe 

21 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

Having cruised on Britannia twice we loved the ship and its décor and is the only P&O ship we would consider cruising on in the near future.

I would agree with you ,we both disliked Azura ,Oceana getting long on tooth and needs a refit ,Arcadia as much as I liked it I came off her twice with a bad chest infection ?

The ship has more good points than bad IMO ....davybe 

Thanks for the review Davybe. Nice to see photos with it too as it gives a better view of what it's actually like on board rather than the professional photographer shots often used in brochures. Glad you had a nice time overall.