afcandrew

New Boy To The Cruise Club Forum

Hi all,

Not new to cruising or to Bolsover Travel but new to this forum.

I count myself very fortunate to have been cruising since 1995, when we did an eastbound transatlantic crossing on QE2.  Two years later we did our first cruise aboard the lovely Victoria in the P&O fleet and over the years I have notched up 20 sea cruises and one river cruise.  Prefer smaller ships, Oriana probably being my favourite.  I am what might be thought of by some as an old-fashioned cruiser.  I would prefer cruising to be like it was in 1997 - but then probably could not afford to cruise so often as back then a two-week cruise cost us around £1300 each.  Since my partner died in 2012, my solo cruising tends to be with P&O as I know what I am getting but also sometimes cruise with a friend which often opens up other cruise lines and ships to me.  I do love a cruise aboard a classic Ocean Liner - which of course is getting harder to come by as each year passes.

At the time of joining the forum, I am looking forward to cruises on both Aurora & Oriana of P&O.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

If your contributions continue to meet the high standard you have set with this first effort, you will be most welcome on this forum.

Good to hear from you.

DavidH

Welcome afcandrew. Like yourself  my husband and I prefer old style type of cruising and our first cruise was on Oriana in 1997 when she said farewell to Canberra in Cannes. We too have sailed on P&O's Victoria wasn't she a lovely old ship with her brass portholes, not too many people remember her now. Over the years have lost a bit of faith in  P&O when they let us down badly on Arcadia in 2012 so now tend to go on Cunard more ....though must admit there are not too many cruises I would  turn down a "freebe" on, I love it so much!  I'm fairly new to the forum and to using an iPad so do cause havoc from time to time but members are very helpful and friendly and tend to be very fair and kind with their comments, unlike some other forums I have seen. Hope you enjoy reading the comments as I do.

8 hours ago, Nimrod said:

Welcome afcandrew. Like yourself  my husband and I prefer old style type of cruising and our first cruise was on Oriana in 1997 when she said farewell to Canberra in Cannes. We too have sailed on P&O's Victoria wasn't she a lovely old ship with her brass portholes, not too many people remember her now. Over the years have lost a bit of faith in  P&O when they let us down badly on Arcadia in 2012 so now tend to go on Cunard more ....though must admit there are not too many cruises I would  turn down a "freebe" on, I love it so much!  I'm fairly new to the forum and to using an iPad so do cause havoc from time to time but members are very helpful and friendly and tend to be very fair and kind with their comments, unlike some other forums I have seen. Hope you enjoy reading the comments as I do.

Thanks for the welcome Nimrod.  Victoria does indeed hold a special place in my cruising heart.  We had two lovely cruises aboard her.  I also sailed on Saga Ruby just before she was retired and she was a lovely ship too - the last Ocean Liner ever built in the UK.  I also sailed on MV Funchal, a lovely old ship over 50 years old (but fully rebuilt).  Sadly she is now laid up.

3 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Apologies afcandrew just realised I did not welcome you. To rectify that, Welcome. It's a great forum where a variety of opinions are expressed, at times heatedly, but always with good humour and without animosity. Look forward to reading your posts.

Thanks for the welcome.  No apology needed.  Good to know that everyone gets on well here!

Hi Andrew

I have just read your first posting so welcome to the forum.  Compared to you my husband and J are relatively new cruisers.  We started in 2008 when a medical condition prevented my husband from flying.  We try to do two a year as it is an ideal holiday for us as our activity levels seem to be declining yearly.  

I notice you are on Aurora this year.  We are sailing to the Baltic in May on Aurora.  It is our first time on this ship so are looking forward to finding our way around.  We have been to the Baltic before so are mainly doing our own thing i.e. wandering, taking photos and finding coffee shops. 

Haply cruisjng.

Tinkerbell

1 hour ago, Tinkerbell said:

Hi Andrew

I have just read your first posting so welcome to the forum.  Compared to you my husband and J are relatively new cruisers.  We started in 2008 when a medical condition prevented my husband from flying.  We try to do two a year as it is an ideal holiday for us as our activity levels seem to be declining yearly.  

I notice you are on Aurora this year.  We are sailing to the Baltic in May on Aurora.  It is our first time on this ship so are looking forward to finding our way around.  We have been to the Baltic before so are mainly doing our own thing i.e. wandering, taking photos and finding coffee shops. 

Haply cruisjng.

Tinkerbell

Many thanks Tinkerbell.  Well, it looks like we are on the same cruise then as I too am off to the Baltics. I have also been there once before but four of these ports are new to me. Perhaps we can meet up on board?

Edited by afcandrew
Typo