Which P&O Rome Excursion?

Hi

My wife and I will be undertaking our first cruise next month with P&O. We will be calling at Civitavecchia and intend to take an excursion to Rome. When in Rome there are three attractions that we would like to visit: The Colosseum, St Peter’s Basilica and the Sistine Chapel. When I say 'visit' these attractions; I mean that we would like to go inside and have a look around and not just see them from the outside.

Reading through the list of excursions available from P&O; it is unclear to me which (if any) of their excursions would suit us best.

I did call P&O for advice; but the person I spoke to seemed as unsure as to which excursion to choose as I am. After being initially told that all excursions included admission to these attractions; upon checking that was changed to none of them included admission to any attractions.

We have never been to Italy before, let alone Rome, and so are slightly unsure of making our own way around the city to see these attractions. However if that is the better option than going on a specific excursion; we will do so.

I was wondering if people who have travelled to Rome could give us any advice. Alternatively; if anyone has travelled with P&O and taken one of their Rome excursions; could give my wife and I any detailed information about the excursion they took.

The P&O excursions that we are considering are:

‘Rome On Your Own’  Ref: ROM_004

‘3 of the Best Rome Transfer’  Ref: ROM_143

‘Introduction to Rome’ Ref: ROM_002

‘Classical Rome’  Ref: ROM_148

Many Thanks

they do one  that includes entry to St Peters and the Sistine chapel you enter via the museum and actually pass most of the queues then you go through the chapel and onto then into the Basilica itself.

we did that the first time then next cruise did a walking tour which included the Colosseum and the forum we were then left some time to do our own thing and went and looked at a couple of the other site the pantheon and the tivili fountain made our way to the pick up point which was in the long street in front of St Peters   

hope that may of been some slight help

Hi DD, I've visited Rome a few times on cruises, two of them being with P&O. my wife and I have done the 'Rome On Your Own' excursion which was ideal for what we wanted.

We were dropped off nice and early close to Piazza del Popolo which is a convenient location from which to get around. If you're looking to try and see as much as possible from your time there then the hop on hop off bus service can be picked up from near here. We did that and it proved to be a great way of getting around. This trip didn't include entry into any of the attractions you've mentioned but we did that independently and had a great time there. 

I'm not sure I'd opt for that excursion again now though. Although it was good, it was literally just paying for transport to and from Rome. Having cruised more now and done my research, I'd probably look at alternatives to the cruise lines excursions, either via a third party or using public transport.

Thanks paul1924; that's very helpful.

When you say:

they do one  that includes entry to St Peters and the Sistine chapel you enter via the museum and actually pass most of the queues then you go through the chapel and onto then into the Basilica itself.

I don't suppose you can remember the name of the excursion or whether it is one of the ones I listed?

Thanks.

Thank you sammy sun. I appreciate your answer.

I suppose I have to work out whether we should do the 'Rome on Your Own' excursion or one of the other ones. We don't mind trying to navigate our own way around, but as we have never been to Rome before, we don't want to waste time because we have got lost or miss the coach back to the ship!

I just wish it was clearer which excursions included admissions into various tourist attractions.

I'm sure you right about trying a third party excursion or using public transport; but I think that may have to wait for our second visit!

Hi DD

We visited Rome last September while on the Oceana.

They do 1 excursion which takes a special train that drops you off at the small station, Roma San Pietro, there was then a short walk to St Peters Square from which the day is yours. It was great as traffic into Rome can be bad at times and delays here eat into your day, this way it took about an hour, you had a guide who handed out maps and would answer any questions you may have, he also gave his mobile number should you need to contact him during the day and would certainly be able to help you get the best from your brief visit.

Now other members will tell you how you can get to Rome much cheaper on your own, but save that for the next time, you are right to go on a P&O trip this first time, we thought the train excursion was excellent value and so much better than being on a coach for 1-2 hours and it gave you the best time window in Rome and with the guarantee you do not miss the boat.

Hope this helps.

when i went i took my young daughter and decided to take "rome on your own" tour which means they take you but no tour guide which is perfect for me as i like to go at my own pace. I have re named it as "moan round rome" as my daughter did nothing but moan all the way round it was very hot. i would love to go back as an amazing place.    

17 hours ago, Digital Dan said:

Thanks paul1924; that's very helpful.

When you say:

I don't suppose you can remember the name of the excursion or whether it is one of the ones I listed?

Thanks.

The tour was called 'Vatican City' You had 2 and a half hours free time to look around Rome and have lunch. As paul1924 said you bypass the huge queues to get into the Sistine chapel if you are on a P&O tour. There are huge queues for everything in Rome.

If you are able bodied it's better to do it on your own.  My husband is in a wheelchair and a few years ago we got the train from Civitiveccio station, takes

about an hour.  Outside the station in Rome there is an open bus station which has a hop on hop off bus which goes round all the sites.  Be careful though and make sure you get a train back before the ship leaves.  We walked from the shuttle bus stop on the dock to the station but I think the shuttle stop has change so you may need to get a taxi now.  Can't remember the the name of the main station in Rome but look it up on Internet and watch out for pickpockets.

We were there last week and we booked a tour with a private company www.cruisingexcursions.com . We did the Complete Tour and the tour guide was more than excellent. However we didn't have time to go in any of the places you want to (not enough time in the day). We saw the Colosseum, Forum, Pantheon, Trevi Fountatin, Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona (with an hour on our own for lunch) then St Peter's Square. We had to get back on the minibus a few times to get us across the city. They do other tours that take you inside certain places but we wanted to see as much as we could as it was our first time in Rome. It was a truly excellent day out! The mini bus took about 1.5hours to get there, with a comfort break, and then about 1hr 10 mins to get back to the shuttle pick up point.

Dan it was a few years back, sorry, if we saved the paperwork will send you details . Only help i can give is have a good read of what each of the excursions state they include and pick the one you think is best suited to what you wish to see and do, have a great cruise and enjoy Rome we did and want to go back for a weekend and see more on our own

Hi Dan, from memory I think that you may struggle to do all of the venues in 1 day.  I have visited Rome on both on a cruise and independently and even with 3 days didn't see everything I wanted to.

P&O did a tour called Classical Rome which does include St Peters or a trip with Gladiators in the title for the Colosseum but as it takes a while to navigate both to get the full benefit

Hope it helps but I would suggest doing St Peters & the Chapel as at least they are adjacent to each other, possibly on the Rome on your own tour to get maximum time

Thank you all for your very helpful replies. I particulary appreciate the information regarding www.cruisingexcursions.com .

I've just realised that our day in Rome is on a Sunday; so I'm not sure of S Peter's Basilica, Vatican Mueseum and The Colosseum are even open to tourists? Does anyone know?

From what I've read; the great difficulty seems to be waiting to get in as the queues are so long. Is it possible to pre book admissions and bypass the queues from the UK before we depart? If not; would it be possible to do so onboard ship?

Thanks again.

On 11/04/2017 at 3:57 PM, Digital Dan said:

Hi

My wife and I will be undertaking our first cruise next month with P&O. We will be calling at Civitavecchia and intend to take an excursion to Rome. When in Rome there are three attractions that we would like to visit: The Colosseum, St Peter’s Basilica and the Sistine Chapel. When I say 'visit' these attractions; I mean that we would like to go inside and have a look around and not just see them from the outside.

Reading through the list of excursions available from P&O; it is unclear to me which (if any) of their excursions would suit us best.

I did call P&O for advice; but the person I spoke to seemed as unsure as to which excursion to choose as I am. After being initially told that all excursions included admission to these attractions; upon checking that was changed to none of them included admission to any attractions.

We have never been to Italy before, let alone Rome, and so are slightly unsure of making our own way around the city to see these attractions. However if that is the better option than going on a specific excursion; we will do so.

I was wondering if people who have travelled to Rome could give us any advice. Alternatively; if anyone has travelled with P&O and taken one of their Rome excursions; could give my wife and I any detailed information about the excursion they took.

The P&O excursions that we are considering are:

‘Rome On Your Own’  Ref: ROM_004

‘3 of the Best Rome Transfer’  Ref: ROM_143

‘Introduction to Rome’ Ref: ROM_002

‘Classical Rome’  Ref: ROM_148

Many Thanks

We have travelled to Rome independently so can't answer question re the cruise. The queues for the Sistine Chapel are notorious so the advice is to always buy tickets in advance as either part of an excursion or online before you go. Rome is a fascinating city to visit and one day would not do it justice. If using public transport just be careful about person security like hand bags and wallets as the system is often crowded.

David

It is not difficult to travel into Rome by train.

The excellent website at http://www.smartcruisetours.com/index.php/terms-a-conditions/23-goingtorome-bytrain provides detailed guidance.  You can check train times at http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en or www.trainline.eu, but don't purchase train tickets on-line,  If you decide to travel by train, purchase a Biglietto Integrato Regionale Giornaliero (BIRG) ticket at the station ticket office or at newsagents or tobacconists in Civitavecchia.

For the Vatican, disembark the train at Roma, San Pietro station which is a short walk to the Vatican.  For the Colosseum, disembark at Roma Termini station and use public transport

It is also worth considering the ship's excursion "Rome on your own by train" (if it is available) or on a ship's excursion by road.  However, either option will be considerably more expensive than travelling independently.

Entry to St Peter's Basilica (but not the Sistine Chapel) is always free of charge.

To avoid massive queues to enter the Vatican museums (including the Sistine chapel), it is essential to purchase tickets in advance. The web address suggested by Oldworldtraveller is a commercial agency, so It might be better to pre-book timed tickets directly from the Vatican - https://biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/musei/tickets/do?action=booking.

However, you mentioned that you will arrive on a Sunday.  The Vatican museums are closed on Sundays, with the exception of the last Sunday of the month (which coincides with the Papal mass) and a few other dates.  Admission to the museums is free of charge on the last Sunday of the month, so It is not possible to book admission tickets online.  Consequently, you cannot avoid the lengthy queues.

You can also pre-book timed tickets for the Colosseum at www.coopculture.it/en/colosseo-e-shop.cfm.  However, there is no charge to enter on the first Sunday of the month.  Unfortunately, there is no way of avoiding lengthy queues, if your visit coincides with the first Sunday of the month.

I hope this helps.

On 12 April 2017 at 3:24 PM, Siobhan said:

If you are able bodied it's better to do it on your own.  My husband is in a wheelchair and a few years ago we got the train from Civitiveccio station, takes

about an hour.  Outside the station in Rome there is an open bus station which has a hop on hop off bus which goes round all the sites.  Be careful though and make sure you get a train back before the ship leaves.  We walked from the shuttle bus stop on the dock to the station but I think the shuttle stop has change so you may need to get a taxi now.  Can't remember the the name of the main station in Rome but look it up on Internet and watch out for pickpockets.

The compulsory bus from ship goes quite a waypast the previous drop-off and it is a long walk back. BUT there is a bus to the station (€2 last year) where you can get the train to Rome. Get off at San Pietro station.   Walk down the hill - following just about everyone else on the train, and you are in front of St Peter's Basilica. Don't go to the main Stazioni Internationale as it takes at least another half hour and is not near the tourist attractions.  There is a "stopping train" that costs about €10 return or,pay a bit more and get on a fast train.  Having bought ticket look for a small yellow machine on the platform, put your ticket in to validate it and repeat on way back. It's easy-peasy. 

Edited by Dozydo

Hi Dan. Sounds like you are on the same cruise as us and it's our first one as well.

Glad you asked the question as we've been wondering what to do about Rome as well esp as we are there on a Sunday. 

We've been to Rome before and done most things but wanted to go to the Sistine chapel this time as that's about the only thing we haven't done but from the comments it sounds like we won't be doing it this time now.

My Hubby loved the forum last time and wants to go back there. I think given the comments we will probably get the express train trip. 

Thanks for the useful thread everyone x