Good afternoon all,

Me and the hubby have our first cruise coming up at the end of May on Brittania. I am very worried about sea sickness- is it true that you can have a jab on board if you get really bad? :wacko:

Edited by Maza

Yes you can but it will not be cheap any visit to see a doctor onboard does not come cheap and I am not sure sea sickness could be classified as an illness which you could claim off travel insurance. The more you worry about the more chance you will suffer with sea sickness Britannia is a lovely ship just go with an open mind dont think about it and you will have a great time.

Welcome to the forum Maza. We crossed the Atlantic from the Caribbean in March & at one point we had rough seas & the captain said the wind reach 100mph at one point but I can honestly say that we barely felt any movement. Hopefully you will both be fine & have a wonderful cruise.

18 hours ago, Maza said:

Good afternoon all,

Me and the hubby have our first cruise coming up at the end of May on Brittania. I am very worried about sea sickness- is it true that you can have a jab on board if you get really bad? :wacko:

Like has been said you can have a jab onboard, but it can be expensive.

I'd suggest buying some Stugeron tablets from Boots, just as good and cheaper!!!.

Just to add, modern ships handle rough conditions very well so don't worry and go an enjoy.

HLM.

Hi Maza, 

A lot of good advice has been covered already but if it is something that deeply concerns you then I would advise going to speak to your GP before you sail. Discuss it with them and tell them of your concerns regarding the holiday. They'll be able to give you some advice and prescribe certain medications that may help whilst on board. 

Nick mentioned Avomine in a comment above and when I first started cruising, I used these tablets and started taking them a few days before we set sail. I never experienced any sea-sickness issues, well nothing a decent glass of wine couldn't fix :P.  I don't use them now as I find I'm fine. 

The best piece of advice I could give you, and it's much easier said than done, is try not to let it worry you too much. There's plenty of remedies available on board should you suffer with it. Focus more on the fact that you're going on your first cruise, the relaxation of it all, the visiting different places and the pleasure of being at sea, because there really isn't a holiday quite like it.

You'll be fine Maza. Someone once gave me some advice and I've tried to stick to it ever since. When it comes to cruising, it's impossible to say for certain how another person will find a cruise line or ship. What one person hates, another may love so go into it with an open mind and make your own decision on it. 

Also it's good to remember that the motivation to review a product is often much more driven by a bad experience than a good one. I'd imagine that for every bad review you've read, there's a good one out there too that just never got posted because the passengers were content with their holiday and the thought of posting a review never entered their minds because they were too busy telling friends and family how they'd had a lovely time. 

12 minutes ago, Maza said:

Thanks Sammy, I am very excited although slightly concerned with the negative reviews of Brittania 

Hi Maza, I wouldn't overly worry about bad reviews on Britannia, most of which are centred around no central staircase, if you are able bodied you really have nothing to worry about.

Other complaints about food and the like are always very subjective, this being your first cruise you won't have nothing to compare it too, so I can almost guarantee you'll be amazed when you turn up at the port and see the size of the ship and what she has to offer.

All your worries will disappear once onboard, sea sickness will be the last thing on your mind.

Go and enjoy :D

HLM.

Edited by HLM

Hi Maza, don'y worry about the bad reviews you've read, it's all personal opinions - something that may not be liked by one person, may be liked by another. There was actually a really positive review of Britannia on here yesterday, definitely worth a read if you want to put any worries to rest.

In regards to sea sickness, try not to worry too much &  would advise in taking some anti-sickness tablets with you incase you do need them. I would recommend Stugeron tablets from Boots, but there are plenty of other options out there.

• 2 weeks later...

I suffer severe motion sickness as a side effect of other medication (I can't even be driven 400yds without being ill). I was prescribed some scopoderm patches before our first cruise and they are brilliant. We went across the Bay of Biscay last summer and it was a rough crossing, I was still fine and ended up giving spare patches to other family members to spare them from suffering. They do dry you up though so you have to drink a lot (not alcoholic necessarily).