Oceana or Azura?

Hi

Even though cruise holidays are available right into 2019, we are only just thinking about our 2017 holiday! We cannot decide between the Oceana Greek fly cruise for 7 nights. Or the Azura Canaries cruise for 12 nights. I have heard mixed reviews on the Oceana, and just wondered if anyone has done a cruise on this ship recently and can give feedback? Ive sailed on the Azura before. Thanks :)

Definitely the azura. I haven't been on the oceana, due to her being a lot smaller and olderand from reviews I have read. I sailed on the Azura in November and it was amazing, there was nothing I could fault. the food, entertainment, the cabin was so good! I can understand why you are torn between as the oceana has a fab itinerary.  I hope you get something sorted. :)

Edited by gina1991

i do prefer the oceana itinerary, that would sway me more than the ship. she is older than the azura and may have a few less mod cons but the general style is the same with the theatre productions and the show lounge, i did go on her but a good 8 or so years ago now and did really enjoy it, she is a nice size and i did prefer her size over the azura

19 hours ago, willow_12 said:

Thanks everyone :)  eyes12 the Azura sails from Southampton and the Ocean sails from Malta. We both feel the ship does make the holiday, but the itinerary of the Oceana one is more appealing. Decisions, decisions! :wacko:

Hi willow_12

I believe there's a brand new coin out which, remarkably, still has a "heads" side and a "tails" side.  Maybe, as a last resort...........???

DavidH

Sounds to me you do not need any help deciding :D Oceana is the preferred choice.

Oceana might be older and yes her balconies are small and she might have the odd leak now and then but she does have a beautiful atrium and for me she holds the record for the friendliest staff.

Which ever you decide on I am sure it will be the right one for you so happy sailings :) 

We have only sailed on Ventura and Oceana.. Azura is much the same as Ventura we have been told by friends..we were on Ventura last week docked next to Oceana in Gibraltar...she looks so much smaller than Ventura.. but a lovely ship all the same.. you won't get lost on her..which ever you choose you will have a lovely time I'm sure.we had a bad crossing on Oceana a few years ago .. cabin got flooded😱Pic of our Oceana cabin.

IMG_6840.JPG

22 hours ago, sheilavw said:

My first cruise is on the Oceana 20th July boarding at Valetta. Excited but apprehensive about the trips and whether to go it alone or organised. We are sharing a 3 bed cabin, we booked pf but got pd which is upgrade? cabin c707. first stop is Corfu

a pf to a pd grade is just the same inside cabin in a different position on the ship

We were on Oceana about 18 months ago and it badly needed a refit then ?unless it's had one I would stay clear off it,lovely ship to sale n but has the smallest cabins we have ever had.

At the end of the day the the port and weather are rubbish then going back to a nice modern ship helps quite a bit... Davybe

We have sailed on both Oceana and Azura.  We were last on Oceana a year ago.  If both ships were doing the same itinerary I would choose Oceana every time.  Now that's just a personal choice and I can see why some people would prefer Azura - more choice of eating places, more bars, sea screen etc.  However, we love the atrium on Oceana, far more Wow factor for us than Azura.  Now I love to use the library, even though I have and use a Kindle and Azura's library could be compared to a cupboard whereas the library on Oceana is huge by comparison.  We loathe the Manhattan show lounge - whoever thought it was a good idea to have a show lounge where for a large part of the space the only way you can see a performer is to watch a wall mounted tv screen?  As for the vivid bright yellow lights...   The Starlights lounge on Oceana may not be as large but at least you can see the acts from wherever you are seated.

We have sailed on Azura several times, mostly in the Caribbean and we have done two Transatlantic journeys on her back to Southampton from the Caribbean.  I don't want to give the impression that she's a dreadful ship and that we hate her - she's not and we don't.  We just prefer Oceana.

This is such a personal opinion based on what you like.  Personally, having had one cruise on Azura (Caribbean) I have no desire to go back on her again.  I have also sailed on ships that other folks have said were in dire need of a refit and really not understood why they felt that.  Oceana is far from my favourite ship in the fleet but I would certainly choose her above Azura any day.  Horse for courses...

I say go for the itinerary that you prefer. Both ships have their merits. We are going on one of the Mediterranean cruises on Oceana next month and although we know the ship is older and the cabin smaller than Azura, there are very few sea days so should be spending most of our time ashore or on deck. The Canaries cruise on Azura will have more sea days and possibly some of those in poor weather, so you might appreciation the extra space and facilities. I like both ships for different reasons. The important thing is that you have a great time whatever you choose!

• 3 weeks later...