Sign in to follow this  
cruise chef

Vietnam & Cambodia on a river cruise

After the success of my recent trip and the valuable advice provided by other forum members I am thinking of venturing out to Asia for some culture & different food.

Do any members have any great tips or places to visit from a River Cruise as sometimes I like to do my own thing in port rather than the organized excursions

Would love to one day get the chance to explore Asia and soak in some of their culture and taste some different foods within reason haha. The river cruise supplement that landed with the latest edition of the Into The Blue magazine featured a great read on the Mekong and a river cruise seems like a great way to explore this part of the world. Would be great to hear from any members who have experienced Asia on a river cruise and what suggestions they may have on where to visit and what to do. 

Hi cruise chef,

If you look back in the Forum Archives under River Cruises you will find a review of a Mekong River cruise posted by our dear departed friend Solent Richard from January 2015 (he certainly had his uses!!).

That same year, we sailed with Celebrity through the Vietnam area and, given that Halong Bay was our main reason for taking the cruise, we (together with two friends) splashed out on an overnight private charter boat which we booked online well in advance.  We did not regret it as it was a superb experience and well worth the money.  It was with an organisation called "Legend Halong Private Cruises".  The four of us had the boat and crew to ourselves.

I mention this because I saw from another post of yours that you are considering adding on Halong Bay to your possible Mekong cruise.  All I can say is "DO IT"!!!

DavidH

Love your holiday pictures cannot wait to see your pictures from that trip cruise chef you take some really good pictures and some funny captioned ones .  very natural .  are you a professional photographer if not your talent is definately wasted