P&O 2019 - Oceana Based In The UAE

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think you're quite right with that OWT. I too think that if they reallocated some of their budget away from marketing and directed it towards improving the overall on board experience, or even a spe

I think it's great that they have ventured to somewhere different, just hoping the new Caribbean itineraries have some different ports of call!!

You make , as always, some excellent points sammy sun. There are 62 cruise lines in the market place of which, during the summer months, 12 will this year operate from ports in the south of Engla

RCI captain told us they will be pulling out of the gulf when we went with them on Vision of the Sea in January. They`ve had problems filling cruises even using a smaller boat and he said they `d be withdrawing until the ports offer a little more , highlighting Khasab as lacking any real attractions. We liked it enough as it offered us a day here and there in places we would not want to go and stay any length of time.

10 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

P&O announced this evening that in 2019 Oceana will be based in the UAE operating cruises around the Gulf joining Royal Caribbean and MSC who have been doing this for several seasons.

Makes sense to use a small ship to test the market ...Davybe

1 hour ago, jinky said:

RCI captain told us they will be pulling out of the gulf when we went with them on Vision of the Sea in January. They`ve had problems filling cruises even using a smaller boat and he said they `d be withdrawing until the ports offer a little more , highlighting Khasab as lacking any real attractions. We liked it enough as it offered us a day here and there in places we would not want to go and stay any length of time.

Heard the same that they were pulling out. Muscat, Abu Dhabi, I found fascinating and would like to return, but Khasab, didn't do a lot for me.

Interesting to see P&O try something different even if it is a few years behind their rivals. Not sure what the uptake will be but should make for interesting reading. I would presume P&O will be operating chartered flights like their Med and Caribbean fly cruises? Is that right? If so, that may be an attraction for people looking to visit that part of the world.

It will be interesting to see what departure points they're offering. If it is to be charters then that surely opens up a lot of regional departures for them which would give them something unique over their rivals. Emirates fly from Birmingham and Manchester as well as London so it's not like it's a huge advantage for P&O to try to take up but it might swing a few people.

I like the idea of placing a ship over there and I personally like that it's Oceana but I wonder how others will feel about that. It's not a modern all singing all dancing ship like Britannia for example. A lot of people see Oceana as run down these days and in need of a refit. I believe one is scheduled soon which would make sense to work hand in hand as a selling tool alongside the new itineraries but I wonder if it would have been more of a success perhaps opting for Azura over there?

Maybe they wanted to see how filling a mid-size ship went first.

I think it will sell well. A lot of people will have wanted to do this part of the world but ideally with P&O and not as part of a world cruise. Now they'll have the chance so. It's also very up and coming over the past 5 years or so and always in the news as a popular winter sun destination.

3 hours ago, sammy sun said:

I like the idea of placing a ship over there and I personally like that it's Oceana but I wonder how others will feel about that. It's not a modern all singing all dancing ship like Britannia for example. A lot of people see Oceana as run down these days and in need of a refit. I believe one is scheduled soon which would make sense to work hand in hand as a selling tool alongside the new itineraries but I wonder if it would have been more of a success perhaps opting for Azura over there?

Maybe they wanted to see how filling a mid-size ship went first.

December this year as I understand it.

7 hours ago, sammy sun said:

Interesting to see P&O try something different even if it is a few years behind their rivals. Not sure what the uptake will be but should make for interesting reading. I would presume P&O will be operating chartered flights like their Med and Caribbean fly cruises? Is that right? If so, that may be an attraction for people looking to visit that part of the world.

6 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

RCI this year used Emirates and MSC are using Virgin.

We went with RCI in January and flew Virgin - not as good as Emirates for me

One thing I did on this particular trip was to use the Ho-Ho bus of the Big Bus Co. in Muscat, Dubai and Abu Dhabi. By booking it when I did (Prior to the £Pound dropping) and booking all three together as a package deal it worked out at about £30 per person per trip. All tours lasted the best part of 3 hours and took in all the major sights and attractions. If the bus did not actually start from the port their was a feeder bus from the ship to the major pick up station. As someone who has been on more than their fair share of tours I can only say it was fantastic value especially compared with taxis and ships tours. Free bottled water was kept in fridges on the buses so no need to take your own.