I think it would be the final piece of the jigsaw they need to get people to really start taking notice of them. By that I mean more 'new to cruise' rather than regulars as I know Fred Olsen has a very loyal following. They seem to be doing all the right things at the moment, in my book anyway, and a new ship might just give them the kick they need to make a splash (terrible pun, I can only apologise) :D

it will be interesting to see if this does come to fruition and if it is a brand new ship or a ship purchased from another fleet.

I don't think they should go big. Hopefully if they do opt for a new ship, it'll be a mid-size vessel.

On 04/03/2017 at 2:49 PM, cruise chef said:

Just thinking which companies have  ship to sell, as it would be right out of the blue for them to order a brand new vessel

Who ever thought Saga would order a brand new ship, let alone 2.

As for who has ships for sale, there are many for sale. Have a look through the pages of this web site: http://www.theyachtmarket.com/static/boattype_cruise__passenger_ship_1.html

59 minutes ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

As for who has ships for sale, there are many for sale. Have a look through the pages of this web site: http://www.theyachtmarket.com/static/boattype_cruise__passenger_ship_1.html

Yes very interested that on the website you mentioned P&O are still advertising Oriana for sale for a mere £170,000,000.

On 3/5/2017 at 6:24 PM, Oldworldtraveller said:

Just had a look at this link OWT. Interesting to see just how many cruise ships are on there and very interesting to see Oriana can be found on there too. They've clearly removed the ships name and P&O branding from the image that's been used but you can certainly tell it's Oriana. 

fred Olen are a fantastic product, I've sailed with them twice and cannot fault anything they were lovely cruises. People are put off by the old ships which is a shame however a new ship with Freds would be an immediate hit and i for one would certainly look at booking on it!!!

On 19/03/2017 at 1:44 PM, George Wall Morris said:

Fred Olson, by their own admission, do not cater well for the disabled. A new ship could address this.

Warlegan.

Sorry Fred does most certainly look after the disabled better than most cruise lines.  I have been disabled for 25 years cruising anything from 2 to 4 cruises a year and 14 out of 17 have been with Fred Olsen and they have certainly been excellent with me.  

• 2 weeks later...

Don't be misled by ships being advertised "for sale".  It's a well known practice for ship brokers to advertise a ship for sale to see what interest they get and then they contact the owners of said ship to see if they are interested in selling.  The notion that Oriana is for sale has been around for years.  I have a son-in-law involved in the ship broking industry and he confirms what I've said.  Probably none of the ships mentioned are actually for sale.

Quarter Master, my apologies for not responding sooner. I haven't been checking the posts. I have been searching for the actual quote made by Fred Olsen, but there is so much stuff written about cruises, I have failed to find the correct article. But if you look on google under Fred Olsen, disabled and reduced mobility, you will see that their ships are not really suitable for electric power chairs, the type that I use, as they don't have automatic doors, there are weight restrictions and the access through doors can be restricted. They do say that Boudicca is their most suitable ship for wheelchair passengers. Also the adapted cabins in some ships don't have grab rails and are small for some types of wheelchair. I hope that this helps in answering your post. Happy Cruising.

1 hour ago, George Wall Morris said:

Quarter Master, my apologies for not responding sooner. I haven't been checking the posts. I have been searching for the actual quote made by Fred Olsen, but there is so much stuff written about cruises, I have failed to find the correct article. But if you look on google under Fred Olsen, disabled and reduced mobility, you will see that their ships are not really suitable for electric power chairs, the type that I use, as they don't have automatic doors, there are weight restrictions and the access through doors can be restricted. They do say that Boudicca is their most suitable ship for wheelchair passengers. Also the adapted cabins in some ships don't have grab rails and are small for some types of wheelchair. I hope that this helps in answering your post. Happy Cruising.

Thanks George and happy cruising to you to. 

1 hour ago, George Wall Morris said:

Thanks George and happy cruising to you to.