Your Favorite Christmas Tune

Hi Davybe,

Hope this doesn't sound too highbrow but, I was brought up in a very musical family with strong Methodist Chapel associations and a father who was Principal Tenor at Sheffield Cathedral.  In my teens, I played the organ at my local chapel and did a lot of choral singing.

Not surprisingly, therefore, traditional carols are my favourite Christmas music.  The pick of them, for me, is an ancient carol entitled "In Dulci Jubilo" by R L Pearsall.  The composer based it on a melody he found in an old German book published in 1570 which referred to it, even then, as "a very ancient song for Christmas Eve".  The arrangement I love was written for four voices by W J Westbrook.

It makes my heart sing, as well as my voice.

DavidH

On 12/6/2016 at 1:11 PM, DavidH said:

Hi Davybe,

Hope this doesn't sound too highbrow but, I was brought up in a very musical family with strong Methodist Chapel associations and a father who was Principal Tenor at Sheffield Cathedral.  In my teens, I played the organ at my local chapel and did a lot of choral singing.

Not surprisingly, therefore, traditional carols are my favourite Christmas music.  The pick of them, for me, is an ancient carol entitled "In Dulci Jubilo" by R L Pearsall.  The composer based it on a melody he found in an old German book published in 1570 which referred to it, even then, as "a very ancient song for Christmas Eve".  The arrangement I love was written for four voices by W J Westbrook.

It makes my heart sing, as well as my voice.

DavidH

Hi David H not Highbrow at all lots of us will have heard the Mike Oldfield version .But found this coral version on You Tube

Having been to the School Carol service this morning ,it put me in the mood for Christmas after listening to th children sing....Davybe

It is great to see everyone's favourite tunes on this thread but if you has a choice which Christmas tunes should be banished to the dustbin??

I will start the ball rolling with this years Christmas attempt by Cliff Richard (even a rerun of Mistletoe & Wine would have been better.)  Possible to see why some radio stations wont play them!