P&O future drinks policy

Are P&O considering changes their current drinks policy? Half way through our recent cruise   We suddenly had our cabin fridge stocked with a mini bar together with a price list. This leads me to question if a change of policy is to follow. At present P&O allow passengers to bring alcoholic drinks on board provided they reasonable in quantity and that all drinks are consumed in your cabin. Anyone know about any future changes

I have read several reviews where passengers have either asked their cabin steward to remove the minibar items from the fridge or have stored them in the wardrobe and replaced them when it was time to leave.  Most passengers seem to want to put their own drinks, alcoholic and non-alcoholic in the fridge, plus ice and lemon.  It does seem that some ships in the fleet have stopped selling whole bottles of spirits from Room Service - I'm not talking about Duty Free - although I have read that they have been available on some ships.

ooh this is very new, i havent done p&o in the last year, i would definately be putting them out of the way in the wardrobe though! i dont think p&o will stop you bringing your own on board as there are no companies out there that do this, even ones that do drinks packages. I have never seen the need for a drinks package on p&o as the prices have always been reasonable, we got a shock when we went on royal caribbean, definately needed a drinks package with them!

Why is it that people want to take their own drinks on board a ship, your on holiday and surely the buying of drinks is just an expense associated with it.  If you go to an hotel, holiday camp, holiday complex would you take your own drinks. You don't take your own drink into a pub or restaurant so why on a ship. The day is coming when those ships that allow drinks to be taken onboard will phase it out to maximise their profits. Will people stop cruising ?

Edited by Oldworldtraveller
21 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Why is it that people want to take their own drinks on board a ship, your on holiday and surely the buying of drinks is just an expense associated with it.  If you go to an hotel, holiday camp, holiday complex would you take your own drinks. You don't take your own drink into a pub or restaurant so why on a ship. The day is coming when those ships that allow drinks to be taken onboard will phase it out to maximise their profits. Will people stop cruising ?

Morning OWT .

It beats me why people go to any trouble at all to get drinks on board to save a few pounds?

My Brother in law tried to smuggles some Brandy on board a Celebrity ship , they found it in his suite case and he had the embarrassment of getting read the rule book.

Once in a  ship's theatre we  ,had the couple next to us order some "Coke" she then goes in her handbag and brings out a bottle of Rum ,and pours it in the Coke. I Thought that went out in the 80s.

P&O may well in the future restrict us to taking Wine only not spirits which seems to be the industry average ,hopefully they will introduce some better drink packages ,and not raise prices to the industry average.

All the doom and gloom that the cruise industry would go bust when they restricted Smoking on ships did not happen ,the same would be the case if they altered the drinks policy ,...Davybe 

I would support the Idea of a drinks package on P&O if it was a reasonable price as i have found the cost of drinks packages do vary depending on the cruise line and what package you pick, I don't drink a lot of alcohol but it would be nice for the odd tipple, speciality coffee or even soft drinks/non alcoholic cocktail especially in warmer climates. We have met passengers who have been shocked by their on board account as it is easy to get carried away when not using cash but you can keep a check quite easily on what you are spending by using the on board systems or popping to reception for a print out.

Celebrity are very keen on checking luggage for any alcohol that may be going on board sometimes too keen as they have questioned family members even though they had no alcohol in their luggage. I have also spoken to people who have had alcohol taken off them when boarding a Royal Caribbean ship.

We also enjoy the occasional drink in the cabin/on the balcony when getting ready or if we just want a quiet drink together. Personally I don't take drink on board for penny pinching but just doing what I like to do on holiday. 

• 1 month later...
On ‎01‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 9:39 AM, Furby said:

ooh this is very new, i havent done p&o in the last year, i would definately be putting them out of the way in the wardrobe though! i dont think p&o will stop you bringing your own on board as there are no companies out there that do this, even ones that do drinks packages. I have never seen the need for a drinks package on p&o as the prices have always been reasonable, we got a shock when we went on royal caribbean, definately needed a drinks package with them!

P&O are actually a major exception to the rule.

Most mass market cruise lines do not allow passengers to bring their own alcoholic drinks aboard their ships.  That certainly applies to Royal Caribbean and Celebrity, who are very strict.  Other cruise lines, such as Princess and Holland America allow limited quantities of wine or champagne (usually one or two bottles per cabin per cruise), but no beers or spirits.  I have even heard rumours that several cruise lines no longer allow bottles of water or non-alcoholic drinks, because some passengers attempt to smuggle gin and vodka aboard, disguised as water bottles.

Don't forget that many cruise lines charge exorbitant prices in their bars and restaurants.  Sales of drinks contribute to their profits, so cruise lines have a real motive for preventing passengers from drinking booze that was purchased ashore.  The problem of drunken passengers is also an issue on some ships.  Even P&O reserve the right to impose restrictions, if necessary.

I accept that the likes of Azamara, Regent and Seabourn do not impose restrictions.  However, their passengers have no motive to drink their own duty frees, because cruise fares include unlimited complimentary drinks throughout the voyage.

We like the P&O approach to bringing your own alcohol on board. As another contributor pointed out, it is not always about cost but convenience. I like to have a glass of wine when I fancy it on the balcony.

We had a suite for the first time this year and we found the fridge was full of their drinks. I thought it was because we were in a suite, but apparently not. We asked for them to be removed. I like to keep " proper" milk in the fridge for my morning tea, and bottles of cold water, medicine etc, also the odd alcoholic beverage, ahem.

This reminds me of a stay at a London airport Hilton hotel a couple of years ago. There was a notice on the fridge saying if you even picked up something from the minibar/fridge you would be charged as it is all electronically connected. I asked for everything to be removed as I wanted to store my medicine in it, but was refused! Housekeeping said I could take it to the kitchen for  storage. Imagine that, and flying off early in the morning in a rush and leaving that behind! 😲

Rather off topic, but the comment about hotel mini bars reminded me.  We stayed in a nice hotel in China, where slippers, tooth brushes,  combs etc were provided.  There was a notice telling us that socks were not free, but were included in the mini bar!  We opened the mini bar, and there on top of the bottles were two pairs of white socks.

Sheila

23 hours ago, Mumf said:

PandO have generally (in our experience) been very good at keeping teenagers and alcohol apart. How do they propose to do that with an unlocked mini bar, or will they not provide one in a cabin occupied/shared by/including. children? I guess we'll find out in July...

Most ships have an unlocked mini bar and have had for years and I have never heard of children abusing it so why should it be different  on a P&O ship.

• 5 weeks later...

We have always taken a couple of bottles on board for our use in our cabin,one so i can have a dink on my balcony reading a book whilst her ladyship has a soak in the tub before dressing for dinner. This does not stop me buying from the bars during the day or having a couple at night in one of the many bars. Its one of the reasons we sailmwith P & O. I once found an aged whisky in a shop in Barcelona purchased in order to take home and was complmented by security on a good purchase when boarding after a day in town.  I cannot see a problem with people bringing the odd bottle on board, just dont try bringing a brewery on board and spoil it.

Eventually P&O will fall in line with other cruise lines and ban bottles of spirits being taken onboard as they look to increase their revenue. It will be interesting to see how many people stop sailing with them when this happens. I really struggle with the idea that people sail with a particular line because they are allowed to take booze on board free of charge. If it is taken on board just for their convenience then I assume they would not object to the cruise line making a charge for it. We have friends who sail P&O and taking the booze on board is a major attraction for them. Its ports of call, quality food and service that are important for me but in fairness we are all different.

Many people also seem unaware that on both Royal Caribbean and Celebrity you are allowed to take on board 2 bottles of wine at the port of embarkation for cabin consumption. I also believe that Cunard allow you to take wine on board. 

Edited by Oldworldtraveller

Ha I'd love to see us try and fit alcohol in our cases, we have enough on fitting our clothes and shoes! I don't understand why anyone would book with a cruise line specifically because they can take alcohol on board. If there were two identical cruises but one offered a better overall package, would they still choose the other if they could do this? I agree with you OWT, it's all about the destinations, quality of service, range of restaurants and quality of food. Obviously value for money is also a major consideration but I wouldn't think "oh I can take alcohol of my own with me if I book with them, I'll go for that one." I don't think I've ever done it actually. I've bought alcohol in port quite a few times. This resulted in different approaches depending on the cruise line. Holland America whisked it away from us and returned it at the end of the cruise while P&O allowed us to keep it with us. We didn't actually consume it on board though. It was solely for the purpose of taking it home so it didn't matter either way to us.

We like buying a bottle of the local speciality when on shore, it's not about the cost, it's about the CHOICE. On Royal Caribbean we brought a bottle back the first day only to have it taken off us, they return all the bottles on the last night and it was funny to hear the sound of popping corks along the balconies as the steward when done the ship. We enjoyed that bottle on the last night!

On Azura in December, the cabin fridge was set up as a mini bar. We like to keep ice, water,  lemon and have medication which must be kept refrigerated. There was no room for these things with all the other items but I mentioned it to the cabin steward, she immediately said she would take the other drinks away. 

Some people may like to have a pre stocked fridge and it would be good if we are asked on booking if we want one or not, in the way we are asked if we want single or double bed. 

It seemed a lot of extra work for the busy cabin steward to stock up the fridge only to take it all away again!