Do you really have to print out your e ticket?

I see the e-ticket as a huge step forward. The previous methods of formal tickets being delivered to your home address or collected from a TA may have felt a bit more special but they were no way near as practical and if you forgot them it could be a nightmare to sort. Nowadays it is much simpler, if you wish to print them you can but if not, smart devices have made check-in much easier than before.

I see the e-ticket as a huge step forward. The previous methods of formal tickets being delivered to your home address or collected from a TA may have felt a bit more special but they were no way near as practical and if you forgot them it could be a nightmare to sort. Nowadays it is much simpler, if you wish to print them you can but if not, smart devices have made check-in much easier than before.

That's ok if you have smart devices. Some still prefer not to use them, or computers for that matter.

nowadays, whether you are catching a flight or going on a cruise you don't actually need any paperwork. just your passport and they have all the info on computers.

Hi MG16

Not sure which airports you refer to but certainly at Gatwick's South and North Terminals and Barcelona Terminal 2 you need a boarding card/pass to enter the security area. The machine scans the bar code before allowing you through. I have also just returned from an MSC cruise out of Barcelona and again the e-ticket was required at the cruise terminal for checking along with my passport. A few weeks ago sailing out of Southampton RCI needed the e-ticket to scan on the greeters tablet to allow boarding. Your theory may well be correct but my personal experience is that the reality is different.

OWT

You certainly do need a boarding pass to get through security, but if you are checking in luggage then you normally have to go to a desk, where they will hand you the boarding pass. Last few years I have taken all my details and every time they have just checked my passport - not looked at any paperwork. Also in a cruise terminal, where they have up to date technology yes they can scan your e-ticket. But it wouldn't be an issue if you didn't bring one - they have all your info.

When cruising from Southampton, you will be able to check in without any paperwork. As long as you have your passport you will be fine. OWT is correct in as much as the greeters will scan your documents onto their IPads which will enable you to bypass some of check in hence speeding things up, but not having paperwork will not prevent you from boarding. When you arrive at security, they have a manifest with every passengers name, cabin and passport numbers. This will enable you to pass through security and then you will need to queue at a check in desk

Suffice to say, that I am quite happy to rely on my e-Passport whenever possible, but you bet, I still have a sheaf of papers in my travel wallet.

I'm still not 100% convinced of reliance upon the smart-phone downloads as yet, but my partner got to Japan and back, earlier in the year without a hitch.

Nevertheless, I'd still say when going through any 'sensitive' borders, anywhere? Always have some self-substantiating back-up paperwork to hand, whilst always bearing in mind too, that even the very best government, airline or cruise-line systems, have been known to 'crash' on occasions???

I haven't needed any printed document for flights or cruises for several years. At the airport I can scan my passport at a kiosk and receive a boarding pass and bag tags there. That of course assumes I did the online check in, otherwise I would have to queue to speak to a real person, ibut still only need my passport. On a Celebrity cruise I can do the online check in then show the bar code on my phone. No trees are sacrificed for my check in, which might make up for all the flyers distributed in the ship by the spa and art auction.