What rocks your boat?

What do you want from a cruise line?  To use the analogy of someone on this board, do you want to stay in the Dorchester or a Holiday Inn?  Or simply, do you want something new and shiny, or something old with a bit of class?   I ask this because, in the cruise reviews, all the modern, all singing, all dancing, cruise ship reviews gets loads of views, whereas the older ships get far fewer.   Does this mean that we like new, sparkly ships or is that only my perception?

Personally, until a year or so ago, I would have said I quite liked the newer and sparkly.  However, having cruised recently on one of the older ships, I really appreciated just how friendly and fun a smaller ship could be and I don't think I'd ever want to cruise on a large, impersonal, flashy ship again.

Do you think you are biased by perception?  Do you think that all you want is a large cabin, a balcony, a dressing area - i.e. a floating hotel room, where all you do is keep to yourselves and sit at a table for 2, or do you think you'd rather be back to how 'cruising' once was - where you meet loads of people, you chat, you get involved with others, you share a table and you talk about your day.

What do you prefer?

Sorry, but I like a table for two, if you have ever sat with people who can spoil you dinning on a nightly basis, and you find that some people don't want to chat, just ram down food in there mouths and complain about the service, no no not for us I will not go down that route.

We use two cruise lines, which we like, we know lots of staff over the years and it is so nice.to get the welcome home, welcome back, if that is boreing to some fine live cruise and let live cruise.

I've sailed on small, medium and large sized ships and loved everyone of them. I've never had a cruise where I've been looking forward to getting off. That said, I do have my preferences and having sailed with numerous cruise lines on numerous ships it gives you more of a wider appreciation of what you like and what you don't. I've always enjoyed variety when it comes to dining and sometimes I do find that quite limited when it comes to smaller ship cruising. Luxury lines are probably the exception to that but unfortunately my wallet limitations prevent me from experiencing such ships at this stage in my life. 

As for dining as a two or in larger company, I'm happy to do both. My wife and I have usually varied it up on most cruises. I've had tables that have been brilliant where we've really got on well with people and then some that were not so good but it wouldn't stop us from doing it again in the future.

It’s not that I’m against new and modern. I’m just not keen to try a large ship because of all the implications, such as  a lot more people, more tender ports and more queues.  I like the smaller ships. I do like a big cabin and a balcony and I do like a table for just us but that’s not because I’m anti-social. There are plenty of other opportunities to get to know people. I don’t need to be constantly entertained. In fact on our last cruise I didn’t bother once going to the theatre. The itinerary has always been the deciding factor when booking a cruise. That’s what cruising is about for me, going to different destinations. I’m not interested in a floating theme park.

What do you want from a cruise line?  To use the analogy of someone on this board, do you want to stay in the Dorchester or a Holiday Inn?  Or simply, do you want something new and shiny, or something old with a bit of class?   I ask this because, in the cruise reviews, all the modern, all singing, all dancing, cruise ship reviews gets loads of views, whereas the older ships get far fewer.   Does this mean that we like new, sparkly ships or is that only my perception?

Personally, until a year or so ago, I would have said I quite liked the newer and sparkly.  However, having cruised recently on one of the older ships, I really appreciated just how friendly and fun a smaller ship could be and I don't think I'd ever want to cruise on a large, impersonal, flashy ship again.

Do you think you are biased by perception?  Do you think that all you want is a large cabin, a balcony, a dressing area - i.e. a floating hotel room, where all you do is keep to yourselves and sit at a table for 2, or do you think you'd rather be back to how 'cruising' once was - where you meet loads of people, you chat, you get involved with others, you share a table and you talk about your day.

What do you prefer?

Smaller ships if we are cruising alone, they seem to more friendly and much more relaxed. If we are travelling with children, the bigger ships appeal as there is much more for them to do and they are better catered for, in my opinion.