• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I always smile when I read about queries regarding the tax situation for staff. Whatever has that got to do with anyone but they and their employer? As for tipping the best thing is to do as you wish

The crew live in such close quarters that I'm sure they know pretty well what each one is doing.  I don't think it would take a maitre d' to police it.  The passengers who have removed auto tips are k

If cruise lines included the cost of gratuities in their fare, the price of cruises would increase.   i don't have a problem with that, because we always factor the cost of gratuities when we cost out

7 minutes ago, HLM said:

Please forgive me for such a huge error, either way the point still stands, it's an absolute liberty to put an additional service charge on top of a gratuity already in place for service.

Therefore is it any wonder that an increasing numbers of pax are 'opting out'?

HLM.

It Gets Better HLM, RCI charge 18% grats on being served a drink by a robot Barman, I presume the Electrician or Mechanic gets the money?? Then again they may not....Davybe

• 2 weeks later...

Spoke Yesterday with a friend who just got back from a Cunard cruise.

According to him the crew were not very happy about Tipping as a lot of people had cancelled them ? His complaint was the drink prices which had a tip added ,not much wine drunk at diner according to him,and lots of moans regarding drink prices.

Ironically a couple who were boasting how little they had spent on board drinks won the Survey sweep ...Davybe

24 minutes ago, Davybe said:

Spoke Yesterday with a friend who just got back from a Cunard cruise.

According to him the crew were not very happy about Tipping as a lot of people had cancelled them ? His complaint was the drink prices which had a tip added ,not much wine drunk at diner according to him,and lots of moans regarding drink prices.

Ironically a couple who were boasting how little they had spent on board drinks won the Survey sweep ...Davybe

Good morning and Happy New Year Davybe.

I truly believe tipping is on the decline, people in the past accepted the gratuity as part of the cruising tradition, a nominal amount to reward good service, however in more recent times the cruiselines have become very greedy by upping the charges and using that to form part of the crews salary, intern lowering their contributions.

I for one have changed and no longer pay 'auto grats' I now choose to pay individually.

With regards to the additional service charge, it's not surprising drinks sales are low, there's only so much p*** taking they can do before people catch on.

HLM.

Hi Daveybe and a Happy New Year to you.

It does appear that a number of people cancel the auto gratuities and the crew will not be happy as this makes up a large part of their wages.

I think we have to remember as I have said before that the vast majority of ships that sail in American and European waters are owned by either Carnival Corp. or Royal Caribbean International, both American corporations. They operate under the American employment system where people in the 'Service Industry' have a small basic wage and rely on tips to make up the difference. Hence the reason why people from North America are often seen as 'over' tipping. This is the way the cruise industry is and it is not about to change anytime soon.

As for the cost of drinks, they differ according to the type of ship in the same way as in any hotel on land. Book 5 star, then expect to pay 5 star prices. If you were in a 5 star hotel and ordered drinks which were then brought by a waiter would you not tip him? On many ships the tip is added to the bill so in many cases, not all, it works out the same. I was on Cunard 3 weeks ago and whilst I personally found the wine was expensive a Gin and Tonic was reasonable especially as the 'mixers' are included in the price. The other thing that has to be taken into account is the exchange rate. A G&T is $7.50 which last year equated to £4.60 but at todays exchange rate is £6.25 however at least it is US measures which are nearly double our own. 

In the end cruising is like everything else in life, you get what you pay for, go 5 star, pay 5 star prices.

Edited by Oldworldtraveller
41 minutes ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Hi Daveybe and a Happy New Year to you.

It does appear that a number of people cancel the auto gratuities and the crew will not be happy as this makes up a large part of their wages.

I think we have to remember as I have said before that the vast majority of ships that sail in American and European waters are owned by either Carnival Corp. or Royal Caribbean International, both American corporations. They operate under the American employment system where people in the 'Service Industry' have a small basic wage and rely on tips to make up the difference. Hence the reason why people from North America are often seen as 'over' tipping. This is the way the cruise industry is and it is not about to change anytime soon.

As for the cost of drinks, they differ according to the type of ship in the same way as in any hotel on land. Book 5 star, then expect to pay 5 star prices. If you were in a 5 star hotel and ordered drinks which were then brought by a waiter would you not tip him? On many ships the tip is added to the bill so in many cases, not all, it works out the same. I was on Cunard 3 weeks ago and whilst I personally found the wine was expensive a Gin and Tonic was reasonable especially as the 'mixers' are included in the price. The other thing that has to be taken into account is the exchange rate. A G&T is $7.50 which last year equated to £4.60 but at todays exchange rate is £6.25 however at least it is US measures which are nearly double our own. 

In the end cruising is like everything else in life, you get what you pay for, go 5 star, pay 5 star prices.

Drink prices are always a bone of contention, however I suspect Cunard and P&O being owned by Carnival Group use the same suppliers, what I fail to understand why one (Cunard) can charge more than double the other (P&O), Cunard who in my opinion are mass market the same as P&O albeit a little more superior, but by no means 5*.

I can't find any justification in doubling the price or adding additional service charges, something P&O don't do?? Personally I think it's down to greed, but fortunately we are able to make the decision to pay or not.

HLM.

24 minutes ago, HLM said:

Drink prices are always a bone of contention, however I suspect Cunard and P&O being owned by Carnival Group use the same suppliers, what I fail to understand why one (Cunard) can charge more than double the other (P&O), Cunard who in my opinion are mass market the same as P&O albeit a little more superior, but by no means 5*.

I can't find any justification in doubling the price or adding additional service charges, something P&O don't do?? Personally I think it's down to greed, but fortunately we are able to make the decision to pay or not.

HLM.

Hi HLM

Although P&O and Cunard are both owned by Carnival they are run as separate entities each with their own Board. Whilst P&O have their Head Office in Southampton, Cunard have theirs in Miami. They are two totally different operations and although many look upon Cunard as being British it is American through and through from the onboard currency to drinks measures to gratuities therefore I very much doubt they use the same suppliers.

As for doubling the price this is simply to do with the exchange rate. Last year year if my memory serves me correctly a G&T worked out more expensive, pro rata, on P&O as the measure was the British measure, they charged for the mixer and the exchange rate was favourable.

The comparison between P&O and Cunard is of course a matter of personal opinion, I would certainly rate Cunard as 4* plus, way ahead of P&O.  As always, just my personal opinion.

2 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Hi HLM

Although P&O and Cunard are both owned by Carnival they are run as separate entities each with their own Board. Whilst P&O have their Head Office in Southampton, Cunard have theirs in Miami. They are two totally different operations and although many look upon Cunard as being British it is American through and through from the onboard currency to drinks measures to gratuities therefore I very much doubt they use the same suppliers.

As for doubling the price this is simply to do with the exchange rate. Last year year if my memory serves me correctly a G&T worked out more expensive, pro rata, on P&O as the measure was the British measure, they charged for the mixer and the exchange rate was favourable.

The comparison between P&O and Cunard is of course a matter of personal opinion, I would certainly rate Cunard as 4* plus, way ahead of P&O.  As always, just my personal opinion.

I do understand what you're saying OWT, but ultimately they have the same mother company, and both regularly operate out of Southampton.

With regards to alcohol spirits I accept are double measures, but what about beer and wine?

The same bottle of wine on P&O is often be double or even triple the price on Cunard, Why? 

And why 15% additional service charge, when by all accounts grats have already been paid?

HLM.

Edited by HLM
11 minutes ago, HLM said:

I do understand what you're saying OWT, but ultimately they have the same mother company, and both regularly operate out of Southampton.

With regards to alcohol spirits I accept are double measures, but what about beer and wine?

The same bottle of wine on P&O is often be double or even triple the price on Cunard, Why? 

And why 15% additional service charge, when by all accounts grats have already been paid?

HLM.

Why? Simply because Cunard customers will pay it. Simple economics.

23 minutes ago, doca said:

Why? Simply because Cunard customers will pay it. Simple economics.

More fool them, personally I rate Cunard as a middle of the road type of cruiseline, I certainly couldn't justify paying premium prices for a standard product.

Each to their own though.

Happy New Year to all by the way.

HLM.

Edited by HLM

When you choose a cruise line to sail with you shoukd know what you are getting. It is then up to the individual to decide if the benefits of one cruise is worth the additional costs - you can even include tipping costs if it is so important.

everyone is different  so it is down to individual choice.just like auto grats.

There are still some who cruise with Cunard who have cruised with them many times and no other cruiseline think that Cunard are the "bees knees" and like was previously said which having cruised on both Cunard and P&O and if you compare like for like as Britannia restaurant on Cunard then yes Cunard are better than P&O but only just and not as superior as some think.

Edited by sinbad10
5 hours ago, HLM said:

I appreciate they are part of the same corporation but they run totally independently in the same way as all the companies owned by Carnival do. Bit like car companies and electrical brands that own several makes but they run independently. Wine is always expensive on American ships, why I don't know but certainly the beer isn't expensive. No more than I pay in a pub in London.

The auto gratuities are traditionally for the cabin steward, dining room waiter, asst. waiter and head waiter. Thus the bar waiters and Sommelier are not covered hence the service charge. P&O don't have any Sommeliers. 

Thats the best I can do to answer your questions and of course as usual, just my personal opinion.

1 minute ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

I appreciate they are part of the same corporation but they run totally independently in the same way as all the companies owned by Carnival do. Bit like car companies and electrical brands that own several makes but they run independently. Wine is always expensive on American ships, why I don't know but certainly the beer isn't expensive. No more than I pay in a pub in London.

The auto gratuities are traditionally for the cabin steward, dining room waiter, asst. waiter and head waiter. Thus the bar waiters and Sommelier are not covered hence the service charge. P&O don't have any Sommeliers. 

Thats the best I can do to answer your questions and of course as usual, just my personal opinion.

The problem is that not everyone that cruises with Cunard lives in London so the beer prices are very expensive to the majority. P&O do have wine waiters in MDR but again another snobbery thing on Cunard they call them  Sommeliers to justify the high prices.

2 minutes ago, sinbad10 said:

There are still some who cruise with Cunard who have cruised with them many times and no opther cruiseline think that Cunard are the "bees knees" and like was previously said which having cruised on both Cunard and P&O and if you compare like for like as Britannia restaurant on Cunard then yes Cunard are better than P&O but only just and not as superior as some think.

I agree with you Sinbad10. It's the same with P&O and several other cruise lines where people have only travelled with one company and think they are the best. To be fair I would certainly put Cunard in the top 5 of the 18 cruise lines I have travelled with but that of course is only my personal opinion which I am sure some will disagree with.

Just now, sinbad10 said:

The problem is that not everyone that cruises with Cunard lives in London so the beer prices are very expensive to the majority. P&O do have wine waiters in MDR but again another snobbery thing on Cunard they call them  Sommeliers to justify the high prices.

To be fair Sinbad10 a Sommelier is a person trained in wines. 

I completely understand that they run independently, but as I previously said Cunard like P&O regularly sail out of Southampton, therefore will be using the same suppliers to get the cheapest products.

Regardless that Cunard are American run, they choose to overcharge for standard wines when in European waters and I certainly don't need a so called Sommelier to tell me about it, especially when they add 15% for the pleasure.

As someone else said, you pay your money you take your choice, which is very true.

HLM.

21 hours ago, HLM said:

Good morning and Happy New Year Davybe.

I truly believe tipping is on the decline, people in the past accepted the gratuity as part of the cruising tradition, a nominal amount to reward good service, however in more recent times the cruiselines have become very greedy by upping the charges and using that to form part of the crews salary, intern lowering their contributions.

I for one have changed and no longer pay 'auto grats' I now choose to pay individually.

With regards to the additional service charge, it's not surprising drinks sales are low, there's only so much p*** taking they can do before people catch on.

HLM.

Happy New Year to you and yours HLM .

Tipping has become an openly discussed subject on our last couple of cruises . One lady even started on the coach going to Soton ,one man very loudly complaining as we were sun bathing ?

I suppose it was summed up by the lady who said" its good service but its not worth that size of tip "

Some people cancel one of there  Auto tips and give small cash tips ,but I think in the next few years tipping on cruise lines will have to alter ....Davybe

9 minutes ago, Davybe said:

Happy New Year to you and yours HLM .

Tipping has become an openly discussed subject on our last couple of cruises . One lady even started on the coach going to Soton ,one man very loudly complaining as we were sun bathing ?

I suppose it was summed up by the lady who said" its good service but its not worth that size of tip "

Some people cancel one of there  Auto tips and give small cash tips ,but I think in the next few years tipping on cruise lines will have to alter ....Davybe

I agree Davybe, the gratuity system will have to change, hopefully and if need be go back to how it was by tipping individually at the end of the cruise.

The introduction of 'auto grats' gave cruise lines some control over what should always have been a personal transaction and thank you between you and those who serve you, it should never of been a wage booster that the cruiselines used to lower their contributions to a decent wage to their employees.

The best solution is for the cruiselines charge a headline price, don't even mention gratuities and if people want to book they can, just like land based holidays.

HLM.

If cruise lines included the cost of gratuities in their fare, the price of cruises would increase.   i don't have a problem with that, because we always factor the cost of gratuities when we cost out our cruises.  This would mean that no one would have the option to remove gratuities.

When Celebrity first started cruising from Southampton, many people objected to the added gratuity on drink prices.  They expressed their feelings by crossing the extra 15% (at that time, now 18%) off their bills.  Bar staff suffered and were very unhappy.  Celebrity retaliated by increasing the price by 15% and having no added gratuity.   This has no effect on those who already paid the tip, but forces those who routinely crossed them off to pay up.