Biggest Ever P&O Cruises Ship Planned For 2020

Well I am clearly in a minority because I am looking forward to the new ship, as my wife needs an accessible cabin and a wheelchair friendly on board experience we do prefer the bigger more modern ships, but I don't decry the smaller ship passengers their preference.

I am particularly looking forward to this new ship since it will be built at Papenberg the birthplace of my current favourite ship, Celebrity Eclipse, I am just hoping that it mirrors Eclipse's style and layout rather than that of the Grand/Royal class, which is now well past its sell by date and has far too many design flaws.

From the press release I doubt it will have any of RCI's signature rock walls and dodgem cars, but I did a P&O survey last year which asked for views on a 'Glass dome' top deck experience and the type of facilities we would prefer to see in it, so maybe there will be a surprise or two when the next announcement is made on 26th October.

• 4 weeks later...

It all depends, I prefer the Aurora/Oriana with horshoes back decks, full prom and rooms not everything open and leading from the atruim however, we took our granddaughter on the Ventura  and it had everything you could want for children so it depends on your circumstances and the itinerary, we did the Greek island last April on Azura now that was a wonderful cruise, but there again that was picked for the itinerary. horses for courses! CG

I think people need to get used to the fact that mass market cruise lines are building ships for just that, mass markets. $15 Billion worth of new ships on order. Cruise lines are answerable to their shareholders and have to make a profit. If you want smaller ships with quality food and service, not a problem, they are still available, but not at mass market prices. People bemoan ships that that don't have the features of the past but the younger generation don't care if it has a prom deck, hose shoe or tiered stern, they want a modern ship with large swimming pools, lots of entertainment, choices of dining and casual dress attire. Take a trip on Carnival, RCI, MSC, NCL, Disney and see the future. If P&O want to exist in the future they need to be in there with the others offering a similar and if possible superior product. I think it should be remembered that those of us on forums who pass comment are but a drop in the ocean of the 20,335,000 who cruised in 2015. (Figures from Cruise Ship Industry) Just my opinion as always.

I hear a rumour that there will be a new style of salon aside from the SPA called TAP on the new ship - "Tattoos and piercings" I wonder if you could have your favourite ship emblazened across your lower back in Red, White and Blue. laugh.png

This sort of comment really annoys me (if meant the way I read it)!!! So just because someone has tattoos and piercings this makes them some kind of lower class citizen in some peoples opinion, such a assuming and rude comment