Bolsover Cruise Club

Biggest Ever P&O Cruises Ship Planned For 2020

pic%20for%20announcement.jpg

P&O Cruises has announced that it is to launch a brand new ship in 2020.

At over 180,000 gross tons and with a passenger capacity of 5,200 guests, the ship will be the largest in the P&O Cruises fleet and the largest cruise ship ever built specifically for the British market. A memorandum of agreement has been signed with leading German and Finnish shipbuilders Meyer Werft and Meyer Turku to deliver to next-generation P&O Cruises ship, which will be a sister ship to the recently released Britannia.

According to reports, the ship will feature the Carnival Corporation’s exclusive ‘green cruising’ design and will be one of the first generation of cruise ships to be fully powered by Liquefied Natural Gas; shipping’s most advanced fuel technology. As the most environmentally efficient ship in P&O Cruises history, the ship will use LNG to generate 100 percent of her power both in port and on the open sea, significantly reducing emissions.

P&O Cruises senior vice president Paul Ludlow said: “These are very exciting times. The number of British passengers taking a cruise in the past five years has significantly increased, boosted most recently by our very successful launch of Britannia last year. We know there is still huge potential as more and more people realise the value for money, choice and range of dining and entertainment options available on ships of all sizes. With an amazing range of itineraries, from two days to three months, there is a cruise to suit every budget.

“P&O Cruises is uniquely experienced in designing ships to meet the specific needs and aspirations of British passengers and the agreement by Carnival Corporation & plc to build a new ship of this size reflects all that our guests and prospective cruisers have been telling us and shows our confidence in the growth of the UK market.

“This ship will be the largest in the P&O Cruises fleet, will have a striking new exterior and interior design and will comprehensively embrace the company’s classic and iconic features. Innovative new guest experiences will be announced soon.”

Hi  When will P&O re-brand themselves "Butlins at Sea".   The company is no longer interested in delivering a quality product, just pile them in and hope that the "new" clientele don't know what an indulgent cruise experience should offer.  Not surprisingly I won't be booking!

I followed the story on facebook this afternoon and the majority of comments are negative towards the announcement. Most people as people have said above highlighting the preference for a mid-sized ship rather than a superliner. 

They are clearly aiming at the younger generation rather than traditional cruiser but it depends on how they go about it. If they go for a slightly larger version of Britannia then I fear for them as I do not think it will be that successful. If they've decided to target this market then they need to boast innovations and bring something new and exciting to the table. Royal Caribbean have their novelty gimmicks but they work extremely well in attracting the new to cruise market. P&O do not have that. It's like they are trying to blend traditional elements of cruising with a new contemporary style and it doesn't work. It needs to be more of one than the other. Fair enough to include a few acknowledgements to years gone by but if they're building a superliner then it need super facilities and innovations, something I don't think Britannia has when compared to rival lines' recent additions.

A clear plan would be to target both. To introduce this new large ship with new, exciting facilities for younger generations, followed by the announcement of a new small/mid-sized ship to emphasise traditional cruising. This would appeal to all and would portray P&O as thoroughly taking on board passenger feedback. 

It remains to be seen whether they will do this, perhaps they might but I don't see it. They need to decide on who they are, what they want and do it, not try to play both sides.

Hi  When will P&O re-brand themselves "Butlins at Sea".   The company is no longer interested in delivering a quality product, just pile them in and hope that the "new" clientele don't know what an indulgence cruise experience should offer.  Not surprising I won't be booking!

I couldn't agree more. I'm not surprised I think we could all see the way P&O were going. I won't be booking either.

It's all very well going for the younger market but how many young people can afford numerous cruises each year. They should be building mid size ships rather than this size and get their priorities right by looking after passengers better.

I also will not be booking big ships no thanks, is this ocean village, drink as much as you like, no dress code, stag and hen venue.

What market is this for, and who will be booking, not the experienced guests, we have seem it befor from other cruise companys and avoid it.

P&O are going down the rack em and stack em route IMO sell the cruise at a cheaper price and then make them pay for added extra's once on-board by using every available inch of space as a pay for venue this was apparent to me on Britannia.

What they don't seem to grasp is that those paying very little do not want to spend out once they are on-board. For me having tried Britannia I will not be trying the new one it wasn't for me. 

P&O are going down the rack em and stack em route IMO sell the cruise at a cheaper price and then make them pay for added extra's once on-board by using every available inch of space as a pay for venue this was apparent to me on Britannia.

What they don't seem to grasp is that those paying very little do not want to spend out once they are on-board. For me having tried Britannia I will not be trying the new one it wasn't for me. 

But isnt that cruising how it is today all cruiselines are very similar low cruise prices and then hope to increase profits when onboard. Nobody is forced to buy photos, speciality restaurants, excursions etc. so dont see how you can be made to pay for added extras. 

I agree Jaczs, Britannia was in my opinion the first of new wave of what I'd consider 'British' ships to introduce the stack em high sell em cheap type of cruise, with the main intention to extract your money once onboard, I can't see this new addition being any different.

I can see the logic and it probably works, but not for me, P&O in my opinion have gone down the wrong path and what they now offer are below my expectations, for that reason I don't see myself using them again in the future.

HLM.

Lots of people here saying they won't be travelling with P&O now, which cruise lines will you be 'jumping ship' to? Just curious. I'm guessing perhaps Azamara or Oceania may be seeing more ex-P&O passengers in future? 

Hi  I do rate Azamara cruise line highly and I have sailed with them on numerous times but also enjoy cruising with Fred Olsen.  This cruise line which seems to attract a lot of criticism from potential passengers who haven't sailed with them but they have the highest number of repeat passengers so they must be doing something right.   More recently I had tried a few river cruises and this type of vacation will definitely appeal to those who like a relaxed cruising ambience and visiting ports of call which are not served by ocean vessels. 

Do not understand the worry that some say about money making issues once onboard nobody forces you to buy anything, there has always been photographs for sale and shops to purchase items at your will on cruise ships. Speciality restaurants and coffee shops is surely giving more choice to those that want it and happy to pay or you can still eat in MDR or buffet at no extra cost like you have always done.

Do not understand the worry that some say about money making issues once onboard nobody forces you to buy anything, there has always been photographs for sale and shops to purchase items at your will on cruise ships. Speciality restaurants and coffee shops is surely giving more choice to those that want it and happy to pay or you can still eat in MDR or buffet at no extra cost like you have always done.

I agree. In my experience sailing aboard NCL or Royal Caribbean we found our onboard accounts to total much higher than that of any P&O Cruise we've been on. That's why i prefer to go on cruises with everything included in the fare these days.

But isnt that cruising how it is today all cruiselines are very similar low cruise prices and then hope to increase profits when onboard. Nobody is forced to buy photos, speciality restaurants, excursions etc. so dont see how you can be made to pay for added extras. 

I agree sinbad10 nobody is forced to buy but what I was meaning is in the example of Britannia is the extra space of it being a much bigger ship has been used in venues which cost, Epicurean which also is in use in the afternoon for high tea, Sindhu, Limelight, Cookery school, Retreat, Spa, not one but two coffee shops one with free cake one with cakes to buy and shops. All the space of this big ship is there but at a cost, which is what I am meaning so you get no more space than you would on a smaller ship.

I agree sinbad10 nobody is forced to buy but what I was meaning is in the example of Britannia is the extra space of it being a much bigger ship has been used in venues which cost, Epicurean which also is in use in the afternoon for high tea, Sindhu, Limelight, Cookery school, Retreat, Spa, not one but two coffee shops one with free cake one with cakes to buy and shops. All the space of this big ship is there but at a cost, which is what I am meaning so you get no more space than you would on a smaller ship.

True but you get more choice, yes at a cost, but it is what the public demand these days from cruise companies. When I first started cruising in 1997 there were no speciality restaurants, nowhere to buy speciality coffees and if you wanted a meal whether it be breakfast, lunch or dinner it was buffet restaurant or MDR.

True but you get more choice, yes at a cost, but it is what the public demand these days from cruise companies. When I first started cruising in 1997 there were no speciality restaurants, nowhere to buy speciality coffees and if you wanted a meal whether it be breakfast, lunch or dinner it was buffet restaurant or MDR.

But in the 1970's there were no speciality resturants because you did not need them - the food was so good. The meals in the MDR were an extremely pleasant experience with an officer at each table who usually bought the wine for the table. No buffet - if you wanted late night sandwiches you just asked and they arrived. There were also no ensuite facilities so toilets did not block. Bath was always great as the Steward ran it for you. The ships were small and run on a country club basis. They were they days or were they?

But in the 1970's there were no speciality resturants because you did not need them - the food was so good. The meals in the MDR were an extremely pleasant experience with an officer at each table who usually bought the wine for the table. No buffet - if you wanted late night sandwiches you just asked and they arrived. There were also no ensuite facilities so toilets did not block. Bath was always great as the Steward ran it for you. The ships were small and run on a country club basis. They were they days or were they?

I was talking about 1997 not the 70s and there was en-suite facilities and yes the food was better but guess what on my first cruise in 1997 on QE2 we had the cheapest and lowest grade cabin on the ship and was paying over £100pppn. Compare that now with the price of the cheapest inside cabins on most ships and take into account nearly 20 years of inflation of food and fuel costs it is understandable there is a difference you cannot expect the same standards of 1997 at 2016 prices something has to give.

As I said no big ship for me BUT, yes will not stop going on P and O after many years of cruising, with both Cunard and P and O,

P and O have many more new port, to visit, and with over 30 past cruises under our belts, nice to go to new ports, in four weeks we go on Arcadia, 9 ports, 6 we have not been befor. Very much looking forward to Elba, have booked for next June, with 5 new to us ports.

Nothing much new from Cunard, shame because we are diamond level.

This is just my own view, so don't shoot me down

Yes like you I started cruising at the same time and you had no freedom no speciality restaurants but you did have a great cruise, A higher price than what you pay now, I paid more for my first cabin (an outside) than I do now for a deluxe but I would still go back to those first cruises in a heartbeat.

No gimmicks but great food, service and shows :D 

I hope there is more entertainment than on Britannia. The bars were so quiet. The one bar with music (live lounge) was too small. We could never get a seat and as I am 70 I can't stand for long. The only other bar with music was just for ballroom dancing and not interested in that.