17 ports in 12 Days on Arcadia ?

Holiday number: J708

Sailing from: Southampton - to 17 ports - Round trip cruise from Southampton (no flights)

Arcadia: Exclusively for adults, mid-sized ship

The above is copied from the P&O website, It clearly says 17 ports. But several of these "Ports" are just stretches of water you sail through or towns you sail by on your way to the actual ports. P&O confirmed this with me on their Facebook page. I pointed out that they may as well add "The Solent" "Isle of Wight" "Portsmouth" "The White Cliffs of Dover" and make it 21 "ports" As you also can see these places as you "sail by".

I am constantly bemused by the cruise companies and how they come up with ways of making you think you are getting more than you actually are with their "free this" and "free that" when it's all added to the original price. We recently went to Iceland and booked the cruise about 10 months in advance, about 4 months later they had an "Offer" of "Buy one get one half price". When we looked into it the price was exactly the same as we had paid originally, In other words they had just put the price up to cover the "offer".

But this new one of adding non existent "ports" takes the biscuit.

• 1 month later...

If as you say it's exactly as it is on the P&O website then I'd say they are mis-selling the product, the words "to 17 ports" clearly suggests to me they will be docking.

If I'd of booked it then subsequently found out they were simply sail by's I'd probably sought advice and requested a refund.

HLM.

I've no idea where you're looking at for your information but I've just looked this itinerary j708 up on P&O cruises website and it doesn't say anywhere '17 ports' and if you look at the day by day itinerary it clearly says next to some place names Cruise by – you will pass this destination but will not disembark

There was a bit of moaning on the Aurora World cruise last year when we sailed around Pitcairn and Easter Island which were 2 of our ‘ports'. I suppose it was a shame we didn’t stop there, but I still enjoyed seeing them. We knew they were  a ’sail by’ and we simply thought of them as a little bonus. I really don’t see a problem.

There was a bit of moaning on the Aurora World cruise last year when we sailed around Pitcairn and Easter Island which were 2 of our ‘ports'. I suppose it was a shame we didn’t stop there, but I still enjoyed seeing them. We knew they were a ’sail by’ and we simply thought of them as a little bonus. I really don’t see a problem.

Forgive me Tally if I'm being a little naive here, but if they were sold as being two of 'your ports' and you didn't dock, how could they be two of your ports?

Did the two ports mentioned actually feature on the itinerary or did it clearly state they were simply 'sail by's' if the latter then no one can moan, however if it didn't then I'd also be seriously moaning.

HLM.

Forgive me Tally if I'm being a little naive here, but if they were sold as being two of 'your ports' and you didn't dock, how could they be two of your ports?

Did the two ports mentioned actually feature on the itinerary or did it clearly state they were simply 'sail by's' if the latter then no one can moan, however if it didn't then I'd also be seriously moaning.

HLM.

I had to check the holiday information booklet as it was over a year ago now. In the booklet the itinerary states 10th Feb Easter Island arrive early pm depart early evening, 13th Feb Pitcairn Island arrive early am depart pm. I think I referred to them as 'ports' because we sailed around them with a commentary from the bridge by Cherry from excursions. On the website itinerary it clearly stated that these would be ’sail by’. Of course it would have been nice to have actually docked but it wasn’t unexpected and everyone must have been aware they were 'sail by’ I really don’t think people had any reason to complain. I spoke to one man the day after Pitcairn, who was so grumpy about not docking that he had refused to even take an interest in even looking at the island, which I thought childish.  

I think this is a case of be careful before you book. We have received several leaflets and advertising booklets recently that have stated Messina in with the ports but when you look at full brochure or website it clearly states 'sail by'. If you booked from the leaflet you would be surprised when you received your Itinerary to find it is not a port. 

I had to check the holiday information booklet as it was over a year ago now. In the booklet the itinerary states 10th Feb Easter Island arrive early pm depart early evening, 13th Feb Pitcairn Island arrive early am depart pm. I think I referred to them as 'ports' because we sailed around them with a commentary from the bridge by Cherry from excursions. On the website itinerary it clearly stated that these would be ’sail by’. Of course it would have been nice to have actually docked but it wasn’t unexpected and everyone must have been aware they were 'sail by’ I really don’t think people had any reason to complain. I spoke to one man the day after Pitcairn, who was so grumpy about not docking that he had refused to even take an interest in even looking at the island, which I thought childish.

Still seems a very strange and misleading way to go about things and I can fully understand why there were some moans and groans, however if it clearly stated somewhere they were sail by's I suppose that's that.

It just highlights the importance of reading the small print before committing fully to the cruise.

HLM.

• 2 months later...
39 minutes ago, Moswinner said:

If you see my original post, the top three lines were Cut and pasted from the P&O website. It's now been changed to "14 Ports"

http://www.pocruises.com/j708/

With all the above posts in mind I'm now more than convinced this cruise has been mis-sold, it clearly stated in the first instance "Sailing from: Southampton - to 17 ports - Round trip cruise from Southampton (no flights)" 

Now it states 14 ports.

I'd certainly be seeking advice.

HLM.

1 hour ago, HLM said:

With all the above posts in mind I'm now more than convinced this cruise has been mis-sold, it clearly stated in the first instance "Sailing from: Southampton - to 17 ports - Round trip cruise from Southampton (no flights)" 

Now it states 14 ports.

I'd certainly be seeking advice.

HLM.

Below Photo I took at the Time

J. P.

DSCN4525.JPG

18 minutes ago, Moswinner said:

Hi HLM.

No Didn't book, been on several cruises up that way so I knew it wasn't right.

Glad to hear it, I bet others booked though:o

Shocking really that they can get away with it, I'm no fool and always expect a certain amount of marketing tricks, like drinks packages, onboard credit and the like but this for me is overstepping the mark, thanks for highlighting it.

HLM.