Would never dream of booking 2 years in advance, however special birthday coming up in 2018, this is the year!

So I have been reading a lot of about 2018 going on sale soon, well September, I can't believe this is even entering my brain for this far in advance!!

I am approaching the big 30, and a big cruise has been in discussion for quite some time. I have only done a couple of cruises, but they are only the regular Mediterranean itineraries that most cruise liners seem to visit, so this time I am possibly thinking a longer voyage to USA & CANADA and would consider either flying or sailing from the UK.

Currently I don’t have any ties and can go at any time, and holidays are not an issue, just hoping to pick up a good price with booking so so far in advance!

Has anyone seen or heard of any itineraries for P&O as I can only see dates they are going on sale? which I would rather see the itineraries than the dates.

Might even see if my grandparents would like to come (might be their last time sad.png) so probably sailing from the UK would be better.

What a fabulous opportunity to be able to do. I must say it seems absolutely madness to book 2 years in advance, and considering my age for myself and my wife, this would be too much of a risk for us. I myself have never done Usa and Canada on a cruise, but only on a coach, and if I had my time again would certainly be doing something like this. I am fairly new to cursing and it does appear that booking early is the right thing to do.

I will say that I will be keen and certainly will be having a look at what exactly is coming out.

If it's something 'out of the ordinary' and a special celebration I would consider booking so far in advance, mainly to get the cabin/suite I had set my sights on. Otherwise I wouldn't dream of booking 2 years ahead! I guess some folk are more organised than me though...

That said, I'm sure I'll be eagerly scanning the new schedule along with everyone else when it's released... just in case. Any ideas when this normally come out? Would be amazed if any new or exciting cruises materialise...

Prior to 2014 I wouldn't have contemplated for a second booking that early in advance but now that I have a daughter and a wife that is bound by school holidays due to her employment, we are governed by child limitations on board as well as 3 berth staterooms. With that in mind we do now usually need to book earlier in order to get what we want. We've had a look at booking a last minute holiday for this year and while the prices are appealing, the availability is not so good, hence why we're off to Portugal for a week later in the month.

I saw the email from Bolsover on P&O announcing 2018 itineraries soon. I commented on another post on it recently too. It does seem crazy to be doing it this far in advance but clearly they believe otherwise so good luck to them. There must be a demand for it otherwise they wouldn't do it I guess. 

Personally I don't really like the idea of booking that far in advance but if I found an itinerary that I liked and the price was satisfactory then I don't see the big deal. At least you've got something to look forward to and you'll know everything is sorted well in advance such as dining and cabin for example. If it's a big birthday like you say sam fox then things like that will probably matter.

Having said all I just have about me being reserved when booking early, I do agree with Don's comment that I too will be browsing the itineraries when they are released. I'll no doubt cast my eye over them and if I see something I like, I'm sure I will consider it. It does seem a very long way off though. 

Does anyone know why they are releasing the itineraries this far in advance? Normally it's around spring time the year before isn't it?

I am just hoping that the prices are good, and that they are even doing an itinerary of the sort, as I’m planning on just paying a certain amount a month to pay it off, I don't think otherwise I would be able to afford doing anything like this. I am hoping they release the itineraries before September, don't think I can wait this long?

I personally wouldn't think about booking a holiday two years in advance, as it just seem too far in advance. The only time I would consider doing something like this, is if it was for a special occassion/ celebration and I had my eye on a certain itinerary and cabin. I'm intrigued to see what itineraries P&O do have up their sleeves, just to be nosy, but September is a long wait.

P&O always have a round trip from Southampton to USA & Canada, sometimes two ships. It is always departing mid to late Sept for the autumn fall colours. The duration is around 24 days. Cunard also do something similar. For an idea, you could look at the 2016 and 2017 itineries which are available now. It won't be much different in 2018.

Brian

I am just hoping that the prices are good, and that they are even doing an itinerary of the sort, as I’m planning on just paying a certain amount a month to pay it off, I don't think otherwise I would be able to afford doing anything like this. I am hoping they release the itineraries before September, don't think I can wait this long?

That is another positive of booking in advance. The ability to pay if off bit by bit is always easier on the finances than booking late on.

Having not yet had my 2016 holiday, 2018 feels too far ahead for me to even think about at the moment. That said, I would maybe consider it if I was planning a biggie, depending on the deposit. As you say Sammy Sun, it does make it easier on the finances to have those extra few months to pay it off as long as the deposit didn't make too much of a dent in this our 2016/17 holiday fund 

Thanks Brianl will have a ponder over the itineraries for next year. Be a little gutted if they don't decide to do it for 2018, if they have done it for many years! I will have to re-consider, maybe thought of a longer Caribbean itinerary also, so will see. Do agents get the itineraries before the cruise liners?

We did the same cruise about six years ago and they have been doing the US/Canada Autumn cruise as long as I can remember.

Travel Agents are issued with cruise itineries before the official release date but are strictly embargoed on releasing them. However, it does mean they can get their websites set up in advance and release all the details on the official day.

Brian

Having said all I just have about me being reserved when booking early, I do agree with Don's comment that I too will be browsing the itineraries when they are released. I'll no doubt cast my eye over them and if I see something I like, I'm sure I will consider it. It does seem a very long way off though. 

Does anyone know why they are releasing the itineraries this far in advance? Normally it's around spring time the year before isn't it?

I'm inclined to think that it might be something to do with the recent Brexit decision, with the chance of a predicted downturn in the UK economy.

So P&O and possibly other British based cruise lines, might be testing the waters early on, in an attempt to garner bookings now, rather than wait until the more usual March/April cruise booking fest!! 

Pure conjecture on my part, I should add!!

I too, have a big birthday coming up in 2018 as well, but we've decided to do it in 2017 instead, as it's a Trans Pacific crossing: San Francisco to Sydney. My birthday is in June and the cruise we want only departs in the September each year, we thought it better to get it done early, rather than wait until 3 months after the event, to celebrate.

In truth, I haven't been across the Pacific since the mid 70's, so its going to be a bit of a 'down memory lane' experience, and my other half has never been in that region at all. 

Thanks to Dawn and the fabulous people at Bolsover CC and all their cruise line contacts, I was thankfully able to secure a VA/GTEE booking, at a very early stage.

So, if its going to be something extra special, it's as well to get it booked early. So we booked it back in June 2016, a little over 2 years in advance of my 'big' birthday!   

I would just like to say we booked two cruises last October, the Cunard one we could have got the stateroom for a lot less, like the people on this cruise kept telling us the booked six weeks ago and got the cruise for half what we paid, however the cruise with P and O we booked in October, has gone up by a third, and still seems to be going up, never known that befor and this will be over 30 past cruises.

I would just like to say we booked two cruises last October, the Cunard one we could have got the stateroom for a lot less, like the people on this cruise kept telling us the booked six weeks ago and got the cruise for half what we paid, however the cruise with P and O we booked in October, has gone up by a third, and still seems to be going up, never known that befor and this will be over 30 past cruises.

We decided to wait for a P&O cruise offered last year for 2017 only to find the prices went up and up and then was fully booked. If you really want to go on a specific cruise book early as I have noticed the cheap cruises are few and far between. Perhaps it is something to do with all the terror issues and that cruises seem to be relatively safe.

Hi   I have never considered booking a cruise two years in advance and I doubt whether I would ever do so. If people do book so far in advance it's their choice, and I have no objections.  It has been reported that if you want a specific itinerary you may have to book well in advance to make sure you get the cruise you desire, that's also true but other companies often cover the similar itineraries  and so you can book with one of these and visit the ports you want.  In addition you can experience a slightly different cruise ambience and in my opinion this is an added bonus.