Whilst travelling abroad recently I fell upon an article in the paper where a proposal from a local council that had teachers up in arms.

They were proposing to shorten the six week holiday to 4 weeks and give the holidays elsewhere in the school year.

I think many parents would probably applaud this decision as it would mean cheaper holidays for them outside of the usual peak times, the teacher however were advising they needed the full holiday to recharge their batteries.

Personally 6 weeks holiday in total for the year would be our total entitlement & more than allowed by my employer and I would be on unpaid holidays, so in essence they should count themselves lucky or maybe BUY RECHARGEABLE OR DURACELL EXTRA

Hi Cruise Chef

I think a lot of your comments make sense.  Teachers don't realise how lucky they are to enjoy so much holiday entitlement compared to the average worker.  However, they do have spend some of their "free" time preparing lessons for the next term and this as increased greatly over the last few years with the many changes in the curriculum imposed by central government (I think many of these are beneficial for the pupils).  Also since many heads now determine when the school closes it can cause parents problems if they have children in different schools they may find that they can only opt for a one week break without having to "remove" one child from attending school during term time.   However, if this proposal was carried one well I can't see it being a major problem.

Yes I do agree that it would be lovely to have the 6 weeks off, and they do get a decent amount of holidays, however they do a sterling job and i think as we were all kids once upon a time, i was fortunate to appreciate the 6 weeks off to re-charge, be a kid and play. So i think it would be dis-heartening for the kids of the future if they were to change the 6 weeks to 4, not just for the kids, but for those wanting a career in teaching, this is a massive perk! ( i know its not all play)

So far it is obvious thatno teacher has replied. Ok so the do work "only" 200 days a year but consider that, when working they often put in over 60 hours a week which, over the year, is more hours than many doing a 9:00 to 5:30 job. The 6 week holiday is not a perk as, during that time, teacher have to prepare for the new academic year as well as recharge their batteries which, even using duracell, can take time before they even start to enjoy the holiday.

During the 6 weeks many great teachers return to school, or college, for exam results which cuts through the time. As a college curriculum manager I had to be in meetings for the first week of the holidays, be in for results and also be back the week before term started. In reality it was difficult to get 2 weeks away and to be able to join cruise ship school holiday cruises of 17 days was almost impossible - not the situation if I had been in a proper job.

Unfortunately, having chikdren brings responsibility and part of that is organising for the holiday period that has been around since year dot.

I have 2 children & i would welcome cheaper holidays that may come from the school holidays being spread out.  But one of my closest friends is a Primary school teacher & she is very often up till midnight planning & preping for the next day/week/term.  I don't think it is just a "few hours after work".  Being a teacher totally dominates her life, & yes I know it was her choice to go into the profession.  I can only imagine the work load & the red tape Senior school teachers have with the added exam pressure.

My kids break up a week today but I know she has at least another week to work after that & she goes back a week before the kids do in September.  She has also worked through half terms.

The teachers don't the "easy" job people think they have.  If they have to put up with 30 + kids in their class as chatty & inquisitive as my 2 (wacko.pngblink.png ) then they deserve every second of the holidays they do get lol

• 2 months later...

A lot of unfair comments about teachers having six weeks off in the summer. if you knew a teacher you would know that they do not work the same hours as the children ! The six weeks holiday in the summer is a reward for all the unpaid overtime they put in during the year, and even then the majority of them go in during the summers holidays.

What the OP seems to miss is that shortening the holiday will INCREASE demand in those four weeks, who wants to go on holiday with kids in February or November? Many families where I work struggle to pay for holidays as it is without the extra cost that will incur. The evidence from around the world shows that it is the kids who benefit most from longer holidays and those countries that value their young people most understand the benefit of giving the time to be children (do we really want to be exam factories with suicide rates like South Korea?).

I am pleased to see that some people understand what teachers actually do but sad that the same old 'they get long holidays' bigotry remains. Most teachers are working 60-70hrs a week in very stressful environments and then use almost all of the 'holidays' during the year to mark coursework, plan for the next term, write reports and the million pointless things this government makes us do. I don't work in mainstream education and have the extra benefit of being in an environment where staff are assaulted on a daily basis. It's 'part of the job' we are told.

What I always say when people moan about teachers is this - 'if it's so easy, why aren't you doing it?'

And one last thought, today's teachers are educating the people who will be paying for our generation's nursing homes, so let's all hope they do a good job!