Would you travel to Turkey right now?

Hi all,

Just an interesting topic of conversation. Would you be willing to travel to Turkey on holiday right now?

Personally I would be hesitant. I would consider certain parts of Turkey but certainly not Istanbul right now following the terrible attack at the airport. I see that several cruise lines appear to be taking the decision to avoid Turkey for safety reasons, the latest being Cunard but how do you feel about it?

My reason for asking is based on a TV advert I saw last night from Thomson heavily promoting holidays to Turkey this summer from just £189pp. Is this senseless and stupid following the foreign offices advice earlier in the day to avoid Turkey or can you respect Thomson's attempts to get as much business as possible from a flailing holiday destination? Whilst I understand the business ramifications of not promoting the destination for Thomson, I thought it was strange for them to be pushing it so heavily at this moment in time.

This is just my opinion of course. I know a colleague who recently returned from 2 weeks in Kusadasi. They had a lovely time and had nothing but praise for the resort they stayed at. They had been hesitant to go but decided to go ahead and came back having had a fantastic time.

Hi   An interesting question and I await to hear the response of others.  On a personal level I have enjoyed visiting Istanbul on cruises in the past.  Would I visit the city at the moment the answer is no but I certainly would visit the Turkish resorts in the south.  I would like to hear the views of members on this forum would you consider visiting Bruges or South of France ports after the terrorist attacks in Brussels and Paris recently? 

You raise an interesting point there Land Ahoy. I've just posted a topic on river cruising and stumbled across this conversation afterwards. I think the majority of people would still travel to Brussels and Paris but Turkey is seen as more a risk despite dreadful attacks taking place in both those cities. I agree with you. I would not wish to travel to Istanbul right now as I think the risk is far too high. I would visit resorts in the south however as I too, like Sammy Sun, know people that have recently travelled there and enjoyed themselves. It's not on my wishlist of destinations now as I have other places I would much prefer to see but if it were, I would not be deterred from travelling to certain resorts.

No! Not right now, personally I'd probably avoid for a short while to be honest. I'd be too paranoid to enjoy myself.

I have been to Kusadasi last year and Icmeler the year before and loved our time there, but I don't think I would travel their at the moment. The same with Paris or Brussels. I know we could argue the point 'where is safe' and anything could happen anywhere, but I just wouldn't want to put myself in that position at the moment.

The Istanbul situation is such a shame. I commented on another thread recently too. The city itself is an amazing place to see. I have been twice now and loved every second of it. Sightseeing is brilliant there but there's so much more to it. The restaurants, the bars, the overall atmosphere and buzz about the place, it's a great city to explore and it's sad that the opportunity to do so is being taken away following the tragic recent events. I do however completely understand the reasoning behind it and both admire and respect the cruise lines for taking quick action in announcing their plans to omit the port from itineraries. Passenger safety must come first.

Nevertheless Terminator surely they had it within their power to rearrange that schedule.

Why should they..they're in the business of selling holidays.

It's up to you the punter to make a decision of whether to go or not.

People still go to America and look at all the gun crime and mass shootings but nobody is saying we shouldn't go there.

It's all about risk and reward...if you want a cheap holiday then Turkey, Tunisia or Sharm are your babies.

I never said they should have rearranged it, I was merely stating that they clearly would have had the opportunity to do so. My question was partly on this in my opening post: " Is this senseless and stupid following the foreign offices advice earlier in the day to avoid Turkey or can you respect Thomson's attempts to get as much business as possible from a flailing holiday destination? "

Clearly you fall on the side of Thomson doing all they can to get business to that area still.

Re your point on America, I understand where you're coming from but the UK Foreign Office hasn't come out to advice British citizens from travelling there has it? It has however done this for Turkey, hence the reason behind me asking that question.

If I already had something booked I would carry on regardless. I might think twice about booking for the future, then book it anyway.

I always use the quote from the beginning of Saturday Night and Sunday Morning (altered to allow it to be posted)

"Don't let the bar stewards grind you down."

RayO

Not for me right now. I actually agree with one of the points raised above. I'm not sure as to whether travel insurance companies would keep your cover intact if you travel against the advice of the foreign office. It's a good point raised. It is a shame but no I would not consider travelling there at the moment.