So you think that if gratuities are not paid if you do that is wrong most cruise lines have a guaranteed minimum wage as part of their contracts and if because cruisers remove gratuities and there is a shortfall then the cruise companies guarantee to make up the shortfall . That is why its in the interests of cruise company to get you to pay gratuities it then means they don't have to make up the shortfall and more profits for them.

I've heard so many people assume that gratuities just line cruise companies' pockets.  In actual fact, they go to pay the salary of the hard working staff that makes your holiday awesome.  The service you receive has to be paid for.  Most cruise lines choose to charge you for service separately (following the USA model, where tipping is a necessary part of eating out) - some people like to call this tipping, but it's simply paying for service.

If they didn't charge separately for service it would be included in the cruise fare.  Don't be naïve and believe that this would come out of the cruise line's profits.  They have a duty to their shareholders and would simply include what you pay now in the fare.  I suppose in theory it could be slightly lower, because they wouldn't have to account for those who don't feel that service is worth paying for.

Either way you're going to pay for service.

Such a shame you feel this way, as it's pretty common knowledge that gratuities are split between more than just the people you have a first point of contact with.  There are other people behind the scenes that work really hard to make your cruise awesome, but you leave them out entirely.

I'd love for cruise lines to simply make the daily service charge compulsory (and eventually part of the cruise fare - obviously this would result in slightly increased fares but at least the staff would get paid for their work)

Actually if you look in t&c's of most cruise lines it says that they only are shared between cabin stewards and waiters. Tips are not shared with people behind the scenes and if you ask any crew member they will tell you this. Not sure where this rumour came from because I have heard it several times, think it is just something to get passengers to pre pay them/keep them on the onboard account. I do leave mine on my onboard account as I do freedom dining so don't have the same waiters each night.

Actually if you look in t&c's of most cruise lines it says that they only are shared between cabin stewards and waiters. Tips are not shared with people behind the scenes and if you ask any crew member they will tell you this. Not sure where this rumour came from because I have heard it several times, think it is just something to get passengers to pre pay them/keep them on the onboard account. I do leave mine on my onboard account as I do freedom dining so don't have the same waiters each night.

I can only go by what the cruise line website says, but it's fairly clear from their guides that the money is distributed to people behind the scenes.

Celebrity:

This gratuity is shared by your Dining & Culinary Services Staff, Stateroom Attendants, Other Housekeeping Services Personnel, as well as staff from other departments who work behind the scenes to enhance your cruise experience.

Cunard:

The Hotel and Dining charge will be shared amongst those staff that helped provide and support your cruise experience, including the restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and accommodation staff, buffet stewards and others.

Princess:

This gratuity will be shared amongst those staff who help provide and support your cruise experience, including all waitstaff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, and housekeeping staff across the fleet.

I'd say they all claim a broad distribution of the money.  Bear in mind the housekeeping staff isn't just that one guy who you meet on day 1; he normally has an assistant, and the team in laundry are also part of the housekeeping staff.   In the restaurants, there are support staff running plates back and forth (etc) in addition to the waiter and assistant waiter you actually come into contact with.

I've heard so many people assume that gratuities just line cruise companies' pockets.  In actual fact, they go to pay the salary of the hard working staff that makes your holiday awesome.  The service you receive has to be paid for.  Most cruise lines choose to charge you for service separately (following the USA model, where tipping is a necessary part of eating out) - some people like to call this tipping, but it's simply paying for service.

If they didn't charge separately for service it would be included in the cruise fare.  Don't be naïve and believe that this would come out of the cruise line's profits.  They have a duty to their shareholders and would simply include what you pay now in the fare.  I suppose in theory it could be slightly lower, because they wouldn't have to account for those who don't feel that service is worth paying for.

Either way you're going to pay for service.

I agree with you in parts but most workers who are not salaried and rely on tips/gratuities have in their contract a guaranteed minimum wage and if after tips have been paid if this figure is not reached the cruise company make up the shortfall. So its obvious if the cruise company have too pay this it comes out of their coffers whereby if this figure is met they would not have to pay so an increase in profits. So its in the cruise companies interests to get you to pay gratuities.

I can only go by what the cruise line website says, but it's fairly clear from their guides that the money is distributed to people behind the scenes.

I'd say they all claim a broad distribution of the money.  Bear in mind the housekeeping staff isn't just that one guy who you meet on day 1; he normally has an assistant, and the team in laundry are also part of the housekeeping staff.   In the restaurants, there are support staff running plates back and forth (etc) in addition to the waiter and assistant waiter you actually come into contact with.

Fair enough. I stand corrected. I have always been told by crew that only cabin stewards and waiting staff receive them. Also quote from P&O website:

Please be assured that 100% of the amount goes directly to the crew members who serve you and make your holiday memorable, as a ‘thank you’ and it is hugely appreciated. This includes the main restaurant (waiter, assistant waiter and head waiter) and also to your cabin stewards or butler, who will have looked after you whilst you are with us.

May be different with different cruise lines