Manners/Etiquette

Do people leave their manners at home when they go on a cruise?

We had a couple at our table who thought that the way you used your knife and fork at the dinner table was alternatives, first the fork then the knife and so on. They then used the butter knife to select their butter then licked the butter knife before putting it back at the butter dish. The female (too much to call her a lady) complained 5 nights running that the ice cream was not cold enough and sent it back, and so it went on.

What experiences have you had?

Quite a lot of people use the knife then put it down and just use the fork, or they don't use the knife at all. It seems to be the American way of eating. We were on a tour last year with 10 Americans and 2 Canadians. None of them even picked up their knives at all during the meals.They probably think the way we eat is strange.

Quite a lot of people use the knife then put it down and just use the fork, or they don't use the knife at all. It seems to be the American way of eating. We were on a tour last year with 10 Americans and 2 Canadians. None of them even picked up their knives at all during the meals.They probably think the way we eat is strange.

Sorry -  you have got me wrong, they used their knife to scrape the gravy and then stick the peas onto the gravy and then stick the knife in their mouth just like a fork - that's not on.

The American way is acceptable where they cut the food first and then just use the fork to eat with

Sorry -  you have got me wrong, they used their knife to scrape the gravy and then stick the peas onto the gravy and then stick the knife in their mouth just like a fork - that's not on.

The American way is acceptable where they cut the food first and then just use the fork to eat with

I don't think it matters too much.  So what if someone puts their knife in their mouth.  Is that harming you?  I was raised with excellent table manners, and I'll admit finding it mildly infuriating when I see someone not holding cutlery in the traditional way, licking their knife, or eating with their mouth open.  But I rein it in because it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.  It doesn't make them any less interesting to talk to, or make them any less valuable as a human being.  Who cares?

I'll admit to being driven up the wall by the open-mouth chewing - I find those sorts of noises irrationally enraging1 - but I know that's my problem, not anyone else's

1 Maybe someone else has experienced this - I was relieved to know I'm not alone.  It's a 'condition' called misophonia and you can read about it on Wikipedia.

I eat my peas with honey, I've done it all my life. It makes the peas taste funny, but. It keeps them on the knife.

I was brought up,to eat the British way and still get some funny looks in Canada and even more so when I visit they US. I don't regard the US way of using cutlery as wrong, it is just different. I'm with Duncan on open mouthed chewing though .. Ugh!

When embarking or disembarking the ship, it would be so nice if people behind me said 'excuse me can I get past you' instead of simply pushing me to one side. Some people definitely leave their manners at home if they have any in the first place.

Totally agree Tally it appears to be survival of the fittest ,everyone for themselves.

Yes Tally and Northern Star I agree.

When disembarking at Southampton from my last cruise we had left the theatre as directed and we're funnelled into a narrow corridor by the Whitewall Gallery, when an assisted passenger in a wheelchair began shouting and ordering people out of the way. We had nowhere to go! The wheelchair assistant was trying to humour him and keep cheerful. I commented to him, when he eventually got past, that we were all trying to get off, and the hold up was the scanning of the cruise cards, he jammed the brakes on, nearly causing the assistant to do himself an injury, and snarled at me that he had priority and we had no business blocking his way!

We had to stifle grins when we passed him at the scanners as he couldn't find his cruise card.

• 3 weeks later...

We have only had a problem once when we shared a table with another couple, who I think were pensions, who used their mobile phone throughout the meal. The next day we asked to be moved to another table.

I don't think 'pensioners' comes into the equation. In fact in my view pensioners probably have more manners than some others. Mind you they can be a lot more grumpy as well

Particularly 'enjoyed' the company of a group of clearly affluent London/Essexers not so long ago boasting about their cars and houses and complaining about immigrants whilst drinking their soup straight from the bowls.

Freedom Dining's great for meeting new people, but you do soon learn to 'read' the people in the queue and make some quick decisions as to when to join it!

Particularly 'enjoyed' the company of a group of clearly affluent London/Essexers not so long ago boasting about their cars and houses and complaining about immigrants whilst drinking their soup straight from the bowls.

Freedom Dining's great for meeting new people, but you do soon learn to 'read' the people in the queue and make some quick decisions as to when to join it!

You can buy cars and houses but you cannot buy manners its something that is taught to you at a young age and stays with you for the rest of your life.