The cost of cruising with children!?

I am looking into cruising with my 2 young children for the first time (3 month old and 3 year old)

I have heard many different versions about the initial price of infants and children.

What have you been charged for these ages ranges?

Have you cruised with children on an inside cabin? Does it feel too crowded?

Thank you

Hi Frequent Floater,

Cruising with children is fantastic as the facilities on board for them are so good but having said that, they should be for the price we pay. This is not me moaning and groaning as I will continue to pay it such is my love for this type of holiday. 

I have an 18 month old daughter. She has cruised with us once before at a minimal price with her being under 2 and it was during my wife's maternity leave so meant we could go outside of school holiday times, which again meant the price being lower. We're now looking at booking something for next year however and by this time she will be 2. All of a sudden the price jumps up astronomically, especially when needing to go back to school holiday times. I find it bewildering how a child of 2 years old can be charged the equivalent of an adult or much older child. We're currently looking at prices of around £600-£800 for her to go. 

We haven't cruised in an inside with our daughter but I'm sure it would be ok. If you're planning on being in the cabin a lot though, which you might with younger children in order to get them to bed etc then perhaps another type might be better. If there's the option of going for a balcony I'd highly recommend it as it's nice to be able to put her down then go out on to the balcony with a drink for a bit.

I must say, my daughter does rave about her time on i believe it was the Ventura, and she went to the Caribbean for her honeymoon, and our granddaughter also went. She was just 2 when they went, and she is a very outgoing little girl, and she absouletly thoroughly enjoyed the Kids club, they were out of this world according to my daughter, who can not rave enough about them.

They used the night nursery a few nights, and what a brillant thing to be able to have free of charge also.

I must say that it wasnt a cheap holiday they went on, however it was worth more the money knowing our granddaughter enjoyed it and its all she would like to do again.

Thank you for your comments, very useful.

I have no doubt my daughters will love the entertainment and overall cruise experience.

I'm slightly disappointed with the pricing policy though for children over 2, I will just need to weigh up the value for money.

It would be helpful P&O had a clear pricing policy e.g 0-2 is free, 2-15 is 10% of full price adult.

It won't put me off a family holiday but probably means I have downgrade certain elements to afford it, no excursions, balcony and on-board spending etc

I'm with you again Frequent Floater as I too share the disappointment in the pricing policy for children over 2. It would be greatly appreciated to know where we stood with this as you said by some way of structured pricing policy but I suppose the supply and demand process will not be ousted until they see fit to do so. Until then it's a bit of a guessing game with child prices, just hoping that when you phone for a quote or check online that the price does not knock you off your chair when it comes up.

I am looking into cruising with my 2 young children for the first time (3 month old and 3 year old)

I have heard many different versions about the initial price of infants and children.

What have you been charged for these ages ranges?

Thank you

I'm not sure whether you are asking a question about cruise lines in general or about P&O in particular but anyway here are my thoughts.

Quite often there is a low fixed price for infants (i.e. those under 2) but I'm sure I read somewhere that this is not true for all lines.

If a child is the second  person in the cabin then I would expect no reduction in the adult fare.  The reductions kick in when the child is the 3rd or 4th passenger in the cabin.

Different lines vary on how they price children in this situation; it can be a fixed price (sometimes quite a low fixed price) or a percentage of the 1st/2nd passenger fare.  The percentage charged can vary by time of year.  On occasions I have seen no reduction at all for 3rd/4th passenger or children in this position.

My advice is to shop around and be as flexible as possible; as always that is the way to get the best deals.

Finally I find cruising to be an economical way for my family to holiday abroad so it's not all bad!

I'm assuming that you will have one child in a bed (either a drop down bed or a sofa bed) and one child in a travel cot?

This will reduce the amount of available floorspace so I would say that floorspace will be more important than a window!

Obviously the more people you have in a cabin the more crowded it feels (ours are now 8 & 12) but plenty of people do it!

I used to travel with my parents on P&O and we were often free under the age of 12!!! That is in the past though and my brother has been quoted £1800 for his 6 year old on a 2 week cruise for this August!! They often take just 10-20% off the adult fare on a cruise in the school holidays.

As others have mentioned under 2s are normally a fixed rate £199 or £399 on a longer cruise, but after that they just make up the prices!

I used to travel with my parents on P&O and we were often free under the age of 12!!! That is in the past though and my brother has been quoted £1800 for his 6 year old on a 2 week cruise for this August!! They often take just 10-20% off the adult fare on a cruise in the school holidays.

As others have mentioned under 2s are normally a fixed rate £199 or £399 on a longer cruise, but after that they just make up the prices!

As I said the pricing structure for 3rd/4th passengers varies by cruise line.  There is plenty of choice out there!

We've not long come back from Caribbean cruise on azure, with an inside cabin, with a 6 & 2 yr old and I guess it feels crowded when showering the children but once we'd washed them and put them in kids club the room was fine - at the end of the day it's just a base to sleep in IMO.

We've booked to go xmas 2017 and for our currently unborn child we're being charged £149 (baby will be approx. 15 months by then) and like others have said I think the other two children were charged adult rate minus 10-20% - both are 3rd occupants (we're shipping one off to my parents cabin as couldn't afford a 5 berth suite!)

The children love kids club so I feel this is where I get some of the expense back and with the little one we'll definitely use the night nursery, although the kids club is open until 12 midnight itself so all of them will be asleep by the time we pick them up