Not just for the elderly! The changing perceptions towards cruising...

The moment I stepped on-board Aurora in 2003 to experience my first ever cruise I knew it was going to suit me.

Being relatively young at the time I must admit I was a little unsure whether it would appeal to my age group.

I am now 31 and have cruised many times since, I have converted my wife to cruising and I am soon to cruise for the first time with my young daughters.

Over the last ten years I have definitely noticed a shift in the age demographic of passengers, attitudes towards cruising and how cruises are advertised / targeted.

I personally think all this is very positive thing, of course not everyone agrees.

What do you think? Have you also noticed these changes?

P.S - Attached is a photo of me on Azura's bridge for our honeymoon 2011 smile.png

post-7975-0-53941700-1465727563_thumb.png

Hi  I agree that the cruising experience as changed over the last few years.  The mainstream cruise lines have definitely targeted the younger demographic passengers with a wide range of entertainment activities.  However, many cruise lines still offer a more "traditional" cruise experience with little 24/7 activities.  It's therefore a win win situation for all cruisers just pick the cruise line with offers the ambience you desire.

Hi Frequent Floater and welcome to the forum.

I have noticed many changes in the industry since I took my first cruise in 90's. The industry on the whole has become much more diverse with so many different choices available. The one size fits all approach that was so successful in the past has rapidly changed to instead offer a vast array of options. I agree that mainstream cruise lines have changed themselves to target younger generations, while traditionalists have maintained their style and approach as well. All in all it makes for an excellent world of cruising at the moment with something to suit all tastes and preferences. 

I recently discussed booking a cruise for the first time with some friends of mine and they said they felt sorry for anyone trying to get into cruising now as it has become a minefield but I tend to disagree. I think modern day cruising is much easier to book than it ever has been before. The pricing policies of most cruise lines have been simplified, plus there is an abundance of information out there to read through, making choosing the right cruise line and ship for you much much easier.

Thank you for the welcome and comments.

As long as P&O continue to offer cruises / ships catered towards the traditional market I don't see any issues.

I must admit however I don't like it when I see people not respecting the traditional values such as dress code.

Change is invetiable, especially when the industry is more competitive than ever, I don't blame any company that makes changes to keep up with rivals.

The hard bit is changing enough to appeal to a wider market while keeping as much of the essence of cruising as possible.

I completely agree on that last point re making changes to appeal to wider markets whilst maintaining the essence of cruising. It has become increasingly difficult to achieve this target, which I think is noticeable across the industry. There are more and more little niches popping up where cruise lines appear to be acknowledging their inability to cater to all markets and going after what they know best or what they think will provide the brand with the best possible future outcome. 

Indeed, I wonder if we will see an increase in 'up selling' on cruises, I note that you can buy exclusive access to the Retreat and other additional costs areas now.

I hope certain key elements become 'extra'.

I really don't wish to moan as overall I couldn't recommend cruising enough to anyone that will listen :-)

I beg to differ on this. I prefer everything to be up front, without 'hidden extras' once you get on board the ship. A particular bugbear is compulsory gratuities  (an oxymoron if there ever was one).  I am happy to tip staff for good service - and appreciate there are those who are not in the public eye, but it should be up to the individual cruiser. If there is to be a 'service charge' it should be included in the ticket price, not hidden in the small print.