Does age give you the right to be rude?

I have just got back from a P&O cruise and must say how amazed I am at the rudeness of passengers to crew and their fellow passengers.

I was sitting in the Buffet, one day, when a very kind waiter offered to get me a speciality tea only to be 'clicked' at by a fellow passenger who then said they were sitting over ther (another gesture with the hand) and wanted their coffee straight away. The poor waiter did not know what to do so I qietly said I had no hurry. There was no thanks given by the other passenger who then went on to tell his friend that he had been down and removed his auto gratuity.

I had several other occassions when pax just pushed in front of me for all sorts of things and even had my foot run over by a disability scooter who then hit a passenger in the lift as they could not stop! No apologies ever given.

The other annoyance are the pax who can only talk about their round the world cruises at the dinner table with no other conversation.

I don't think you have to be old to be rude.. These days some young people don't even have the word please or thank you in their vocabulary. Also if you are walking around its usually the young ones that you have to get out of the way of as they are spending all their time looking at their phones to be concerned about what is going on around them.

No age doesn't but give you that right because of the sheer numbers of people who cruise these days  it is not only older people,  I think a lot of people need reminding that manners cost nothing, as for talking about past cruises world or otherwise   most people do talk about where they have cruised, it's a subject you can't get away from afterall no one wants to talk about work do they, you can always request a move I have.CG

Talking about cruises helps break the ice with new table companions as it's the one thing everyone has in common. The usual opener is along the lines of "have you been on this ship before?". This can lead to some interesting anecdotes.

Rudeness is something I don't like & as the PP said it's getting worse with people glued to mobiles etc. Along with most people of my generation I brought my children up to have manners & after Mum & Dad their first word was Ta.

My 5 & 2 year old always say please, thank you, hold doors open etc.... On a recent holiday my 5 year old held a door open for a man of a "certain age" who didn't thank her.  she then said (loud enough for the man to hear as children do) "that man was rude Mummy, everyone knows to say thank you"

Working in a customer services job I know full well I try hard for those people who are polite to me.  Get my back up by barking orders at me & I'm not going to do anything for you.

Totally agree Mimosa with your comments about how you are treated reflecting on how you treat those people in return!

I don't believe that age has anything to do with 'rudeness'. Belligerence and bitterness perhaps, but rudeness can be found in any age group.

I'm a firm believer in treating people as you would like to be treated yourself. I'm also the first to open my mouth if someone is rude/ignorant which does tend to land me in hot water occasionally!

I was always raised to be polite and courteous to everyone, and that is what I am.

I find it infuriating when I hold the door open for people who fail to even acknowledge the act.  These are the same people who would no doubt moan about 'the youth of today'.  Hardly setting a good example.

Manners are free!  So no being older does not give you the right to be rude.

I once witnessed an elderly gentleman hold out his walking stick as a young child of about 6 yrs ran past so he tripped up and fell onto the deck. The elderly man just looked away, obviously pleased with himself. The young boy continued to make his way to his parents who were sat nearby and never mentioned a thing. Yes it was a family friendly ship, no the child wasn't bothering anybody or being raucous he was just excitable on his holidays and rushing to get a towel as he was wet & cold! Some people truly are awful. Equally we have met some lovely passengers on cruises too!

I agree some people can be awful. One of the worst things I've encountered is passengers that speak to crew like they are muck on their shoe. I've seen waiters belittled and shouted at for no good reason. It's pathetic and they should be reprimanded for it. Some people walk around like they own the ship and treat fellow passengers and staff as though they are nothing more than common servants in their way. The crew members are often sensational and deserve an incredible amount of praise for the work they do in making cruise holidays special.

I am in my 70's and was brought up to be polite, give up my seat if an elder person was standing, open doors and let ladies and my elders go first. I still do but that all seems to have changed. I find rudeness amongst the older generation is mainly on cruise ships whilst rudeness amongst the younger generation is in every day life. However, is it rudeness or just a total unawareness as to what is expected in this day and age. I also have found that a particular cruise line seems to attract rudeness and intolerance together with bad manners at the buffet.

My 5 & 2 year old always say please, thank you, hold doors open etc.... On a recent holiday my 5 year old held a door open for a man of a "certain age" who didn't thank her.  she then said (loud enough for the man to hear as children do) "that man was rude Mummy, everyone knows to say thank you"

Working in a customer services job I know full well I try hard for those people who are polite to me.  Get my back up by barking orders at me & I'm not going to do anything for you.

I cannot fault your daughter at all I make sure I comment loud enough for the person in question to here, just so rude, people are getting worse.

No-one has the right to be deliberately rude. I was stunned to see it on our last cruise, we had been on the ship less than an hour and one lady in the dining room stood and shouted at the poor waiter bringing round the free glasses of wine, the tirade lasted several minutes as the poor waiter stood there -all because he had no red wine left on his tray.Day 2 a lady at the pizza bar stood and shouted at the poor young woman - the reason the lady wanted a specific pizza and they only do 2 different ones so she didn't have the ingredients.Day 3 a queue going into buffet cleaning hands and collecting trays from staff one lady just walks in from the side and snatched the tray as it is being handed to the next person in the queue.Cocktail party one lady sits at the end of the row and everytime a waiter goes to walk down the row she removes all the drinks from his tray, 15 mins later there are about 20 people still without drinks while she and her family have about 6 each. The strange thing for me was all these 'ladies' fit the same description 70+,about 5 foot tall, short grey curly hair but they were all different people. The poor crew members in each case were very embarrassed and just stood and said nothing. And then they complain about the 'new' cruisers with their tattoos and trainers at least they have manners and don't treat the crew like slaves.

I absolutely hate the stereotype that seems to be around people with tattoos, I have heard so many comments and as someone with tattoos I would hate to think people look at me and automatically assume something about me, but as seawitch says people make comments about 'new cruisers' with tattoos ect when really these people are the ones who should look at themselves, I wouldn't judge someone in a negative way unless they gave me reason to do so.