About 3 weeks before we go on a cruise if I happen to go into our spare bedroom I find that my husband has decorated the room with a dress suit, dress shirts, numerous pairs of trousers and shirts. Not to mention the shoes. He takes size 11 and loves to have a pair to match each colour trousers and these are lined up ready for packing. When he realises that I've seen he always says that he knows he can't take everything but he's put them there "just in case".

When do others start packing?

I gather all toiletries together about a week before to check what I need to buy & sort clothes about 3 days before. Tinkerbell, my husband takes size 12 shoes so I limit him to 2 pairs plus sandals as they fill half a case on their own & have to stuff socks etc inside them.

I am terrible we go to Turkey in 6 weeks and starting to put things in , however I take them all out again the day before to iron them, pointless I know.  Toiletries I have for ages I bulk buy with my normal shopping. Travel Insurance I get the day before lastminute.com for important stuff