Are crew members getting the tips given from your onboard accounts?

I've been told by a few crew members that a lot (if not most) of the onboard automatic tips are not reaching their pockets at all.  P & O have introduced a "Graduated Tips" system which means that if a cabin steward or waiter does not attain EXCELLENT on virtually all their feedback forms completed by us passengers then their tips are withheld.  For example, if a cabin steward gets 18 of his cabins marking her/him as EXCELLENT and the 19th cabin marks her/him as FAIR then she/he will not get any of the tips that have been authorised on her/his passengers' onboard accounts.  It's unclear as to where this money is going, with one crew member saying that she thought it was being distributed to those staff who did attain EXCELLENT by all their passengers.  Crew members who have told passengers about the system have been systematically sought out by P & O and dismissed.

I thought it only fair to share this information and if you're in doubt as to the authenticity of the facts see here http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/9683493.Row_over_tips_on_cruise_ships/?ref=rss I suggest at the very least we all start to give cash tips wherever possible in future.

I have cruised with P&O nearly 30 times since 2000 and since auto gratuities were initiated always had my doubts that the full amount goes to the staff as intended. Many think they are solving this problem by removing auto gratuities and paying direct in cash but been told by more than one member of staff that if they are given cash they have to hand it over and if they don't and are caught they are dismissed so it isn't worth the risk of keeping it.

I've been told by a few crew members that a lot (if not most) of the onboard automatic tips are not reaching their pockets at all.  P & O have introduced a "Graduated Tips" system which means that if a cabin steward or waiter does not attain EXCELLENT on virtually all their feedback forms completed by us passengers then their tips are withheld.  For example, if a cabin steward gets 18 of his cabins marking her/him as EXCELLENT and the 19th cabin marks her/him as FAIR then she/he will not get any of the tips that have been authorised on her/his passengers' onboard accounts.  It's unclear as to where this money is going, with one crew member saying that she thought it was being distributed to those staff who did attain EXCELLENT by all their passengers.  Crew members who have told passengers about the system have been systematically sought out by P & O and dismissed.

I thought it only fair to share this information and if you're in doubt as to the authenticity of the facts see here http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/9683493.Row_over_tips_on_cruise_ships/?ref=rss I suggest at the very least we all start to give cash tips wherever possible in future.

As I said on the other thread your link is from 4 years ago, and where did they get there facts from. A cruise forum?? Everyone has their own ideas on what happens to the tips etc. I don't think any of us really know the truth.

Tally - I think the reason the newspaper article is 4 years old is because that's when P & O made the announcement.  Since then it obviously hasn't made the news.  With regard to the automatic tips being held back, this information came straight from the mouths of crew who obviously want to remain anonymous.  I can't believe someone like Watchdog haven't looked into it in the 4 years since the scheme started.  I hate injustice and like to know my hard earned money is getting to the people it's meant for.

Tally - I think the reason the newspaper article is 4 years old is because that's when P & O made the announcement.  Since then it obviously hasn't made the news.  With regard to the automatic tips being held back, this information came straight from the mouths of crew who obviously want to remain anonymous.  I can't believe someone like Watchdog haven't looked into it in the 4 years since the scheme started.  I hate injustice and like to know my hard earned money is getting to the people it's meant for.

I would say it wont be investigated as laws on the ships are different, they are the laws of the country they are registered in, so no grounds for watchdog as its not technically happening in thier country?

I would say it wont be investigated as laws on the ships are different, they are the laws of the country they are registered in, so no grounds for watchdog as its not technically happening in thier country?

Britannia is registered in Southampton, whereas the other ships are registered in Bermuda. I would think that the pay rates that P&O pay are the same across the fleet so the country they are registered in does not come into it.

P&O state that 100% of the tips is paid to the crew.

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/gratuity

There is another bonus scheme that P&O operate based on the guests questionnaire which may pay zero on poor reports. This maybe confusing the issue and is the reason he the staff ask you to mark them as excellent.

Brian

We were told exactly the same on our last cruise but I would ask the question "What happens if the passengers do not fill in a questionaire?"

We always cancel the auto tips and hand over cash. At least that way we know that the tips went to the person deserving them. What happend after that is not our problem. We also heard that waiters in 'Freedom Dining' dont get any tips at all and that is why they rotate between dining rooms. 

• 1 month later...

It is quite clear how the tips are paid out and I quote from the website

Quote...The Service Reward Scheme (historically called gratuities) is simply a way to ensure that your ship’s crew are fairly rewarded for the great service they provide you. To make things easier for you, we add a discretionary daily amount which is currently £5.50 (aged 12 years and over) per guest per day to your on-board account.

Please be assured that 100% of the amount goes directly to the crew members who serve you and make your holiday memorable, as a ‘thank you’ and it is hugely appreciated. This includes the main restaurant (waiter, assistant waiter and head waiter) and also to your cabin stewards or butler, who will have looked after you whilst you are with us. ....Unquote

Brian

Personally I rarely mark anything as 'Excellent' as this infers that it cannot be improved on and it is seldom I find anything that cannot be improved so for me Very Good is often the correct category. The other point is if you mark someone as excellent just so they receive their gratuity it means the company can then use this in their advertising literature which can then give a totally false impression of that company thus leading to someone having high expectations of the holiday they have saved all year for and then being disappointed. I prefer to tell it as it is. 

As I understand it, P&O have a separate bonus scheme based on the results of the questionnaire. The bonus is paid (or not paid) on top of the gratuities. However, I don't understand how freedom dining waiters get assessed as they do not feature on the questionnaire as most people have different waiters each night.

Brian

It is quite clear how the tips are paid out and I quote from the website

Quote...The Service Reward Scheme (historically called gratuities) is simply a way to ensure that your ship’s crew are fairly rewarded for the great service they provide you. To make things easier for you, we add a discretionary daily amount which is currently £5.50 (aged 12 years and over) per guest per day to your on-board account.

Please be assured that 100% of the amount goes directly to the crew members who serve you and make your holiday memorable, as a ‘thank you’ and it is hugely appreciated. This includes the main restaurant (waiter, assistant waiter and head waiter) and also to your cabin stewards or butler, who will have looked after you whilst you are with us. ....Unquote

Brian

That's transparent enough for me.

I would like to know where all this information comes from or if it is just hearsay with bits added on here and there.

I have been cruising for many years and I have never had a conversation with a cabin steward or waiter regarding what they earn, quite honestly it is none of my business regardless of whether the gratuities I pay makes up part of that persons  salary, neither have I ever been asked to mark someone high on a questionaire and it wouldn't make any difference if I was I will always speak as I find and someone would have to be exceptional to receive an excellent.

If it was something that bothered me I would be writing to the CEO and asking for clarification and not just a repeat of what is written in the brochure and I would be giving my reasons for asking and if necessary state what HO say and the crew say is vastly different, this only appears to be a problem on P&O ships I don't read the same things about Princess/Celebrity/Cunard .. I wonder why that is rolleyes.gif

Just come back from our second cruise with P&O. The first one about 5 years ago involved money stuffed in envelops. This time it was the automatic deduction system which I prefer, however we did leave the remainder of our Norwegian Krone for the cabin steward as a bit of a bonus. However it was interesting talking to some of the folks on the cruise who immediately delete the automatic gratuities from their bill in preference to rewarding individuals. Having said that it was also interesting to see how quickly some people left the dining room on the last night so I wonder how many remove the gratuities and don't tip anyone. Their choice of course but given these guys don't earn a fortune from their contractual pay a bit on the mean side?

David

• 4 weeks later...

I cancelled my graturity during cruise and paid people direct. I had never travelled P&O before and it was a wonderful cruise but having spoke to more than 2 crew members, found that they had to meet the 'excellent' criteria from all passengers to qualify for graturity. Incidently, I still put excellent on the form at the end of the cruise as the crew members were first class.

I cancelled my graturity during cruise and paid people direct. I had never travelled P&O before and it was a wonderful cruise but having spoke to more than 2 crew members, found that they had to meet the 'excellent' criteria from all passengers to qualify for graturity. Incidently, I still put excellent on the form at the end of the cruise as the crew members were first class.

On my recent cruise on Arcadia in August, I asked our steward what he would prefer as I was worried he might not get it all. He said he didn't mind and it was entirely up to me.

So I then asked if I gave him cash would he be allowed to keep it all or did he have to declare it.

He said he could keep it and there was no problem with that.

So I cancelled the automatic gratuities and gave cash to the people who helped me directly. Which actually turned out to be far more than usual this cruise as staff were brilliant.

I think P & O are crooks, theives, and totally dishonest, they come across all caring, but they do not give a damn. I have been Gold/Carribean for a number of years, but now I will not go with them. I stopped going with them for 4 years, then went last year becaus my eldest son wanted his mum and me to be with him and his partner on their first cruise, the ship was a disgrace, and so was p o attitude. will never go with them again, in fact any company that the yanks have got their hands on.

po have become a floating butlins.wub.png