Being honest at embarkation?

This is an interesting one Waves. I genuinely have no idea what would happen if you did declare an illness. I presume you have the opportunity to be seen by a doctor and not just cast aside but I don't know what lengths the cruise lines go to for making sure you are fit to travel. Be interesting to see if someone on here has experienced it.

I can't imagine many have because I would expect the majority of people to hide this from the cruise lines rather than being honest for fear of being prevented from travelling, when in actual fact it they are ill, it may have prevented others from suffering with a similar illness.

I doubt they would refuse you to board - but they probably would isolate you before going any further and get you checked out by a doctor. 

My wife was unfortunate to get norovirus the day before disembarking, which was really bad when combined with her existing medical conditions. As well as being isolated to our cabin (standard procedure for noro), we were also unable to disembark the following day until everyone else had gone. Never seen the baggage hall so quiet! She was brilliantly looked after. Just like my daughter was when she got chicken pox during our transatlantic crossing to the Caribbean.

Be interested to hear if anyone has experience of what actually happens. But I wouldn't be surprised if people didn't own up for fear of missing out, at the risk of course of making many more passengers ill.

I think for most people it would just be comforting to know that they are going to be treated fairly. I agree with some of the comments that most people would avoid saying anything or admitting the truth for fear of not being able to go on a holiday they have probably been saving for and really looking forward to. If the cruise lines perhaps adopted a different system to doing this, it could provoke more transparency from passengers. This is not me criticising the cruise lines as I understand it must be difficult to police.

I was on the world cruise last year and I contracted a chest infection. When I was in the medical centre I got chatting to an Australian woman who’d joined the ship in Rio de Janeiro. She had just come down to be given the all clear. She had admitted to feeling unwell as she was boarding and had immediately been quarantined . So they don’t refuse you boarding. She’d been confined for 48 hours I think, although it turned out she hadn’t had anything contagious. She did say she would never admit to feeling unwell again when boarding.

I was on the world cruise last year and I contracted a chest infection. When I was in the medical centre I got chatting to an Australian woman who’d joined the ship in Rio de Janeiro. She had just come down to be given the all clear. She had admitted to feeling unwell as she was boarding and had immediately been quarantined . So they don’t refuse you boarding. She’d been confined for 48 hours I think, although it turned out she hadn’t had anything contagious. She did say she would never admit to feeling unwell again when boarding.

That's interesting to hear Tally. Was it a norovirus type bug she had been confined with?

That's interesting to hear Tally. Was it a norovirus type bug she had been confined with?

That was my understanding. Whether she actually did have the NV I don't know but she obviously had certain symptoms which was the reason she was confined to her cabin.

Most cruise lines allow you to board, provided you are not so unwell that a doctor would advise that you are unfit to travel.  However, the medical staff will place you in quarantine, until you are no longer a risk to other passengers.

That happened several years ago at the start of an Azamara cruise, which sailed from Mumbai.  Many of the passengers had spent a week or more in India, visiting the Taj Mahal and other tourist sites so inevitably, some of them had contracted "Delhi Belly".  The ship was well prepared for this eventuality and a combination of quarantine and good hygiene resolved the problem fairly quickly.

Unlike P&O, Azamara did not charge for medical treatment for anyone who reported to the Medical Centre with gastro-intestinal symptoms.  That was an important factor, because free treatment encourages passengers to seek help quickly and not walk around the ship, infecting others.

The one exception to the boarding rule seems to involve anyone who has visited a country affected by an Ebola outbreak within the previous 21 days - or who has had physical contact with, or helped care for, a person with Ebola during the same time frame. I gather that most cruise lines would deny boarding to anyone affected.

A few years ago, on a P&O fly cruise to Barbados, we saw a lady refused boarding to the plane because she had owned up to being unwell. This was from Birmingham and at that time in the morning she was not offered to be seen by a doctor, there probably wasn't time anyway. It was a case of, if you 'fess up to being unwell, you will be refused. Her friend travelled.

The unfortunate lady was just a bit naïve as she didn't say she had been ill with NV symptoms. In my non-medical view it appeared that she was just a bit tense and nervous about flying as we were eavesdropping the conversation. Well the P&O staff certainly solved that problem for her.

RayO

A few years ago, on a P&O fly cruise to Barbados, we saw a lady refused boarding to the plane because she had owned up to being unwell. This was from Birmingham and at that time in the morning she was not offered to be seen by a doctor, there probably wasn't time anyway. It was a case of, if you 'fess up to being unwell, you will be refused. Her friend travelled.

The unfortunate lady was just a bit naïve as she didn't say she had been ill with NV symptoms. In my non-medical view it appeared that she was just a bit tense and nervous about flying as we were eavesdropping the conversation. Well the P&O staff certainly solved that problem for her.

RayO

Unfortunately RayO your medical opinion doesn't matter. Would you risk the whole ship going down with NV. Unfortunate for the lady concerned but better than infecting the whole ship. N V is very contagious so you can't take risks. Hygeine is very strict on Celebrity with the emphasis on strict hand washing, but some people ignore it and refuse to gel their hands. They are the very people who would be first to complain if a virus broke out. If you feel ill and think it might be something like this you owe it to your fellow travellers to report it. Anything else is just selfish and foolish.

Our cruise to the Greek Islands was spoiled for us after I became ill after 6 days with a bad cough after a gentleman sat next to me in the theater and coughed all the way through the show. I voluntarily isolated myself so not to pass it on-eating in the cabin, not attending any shows keeping away from other passengers.I ended up at the doctor and was given antibiotics for a chronic chest infection which is lingering 6 weeks later. My husband got talking to a couple who admitted they had bad coughs when they got onboard but had not declared it- they thought you only had to declare Novovirus, I am sure the form says cough's , or intestinal problems. If they had been honest we would have had an enjoyable holiday, as would all the other passengers who ended up ill, especially the passengers who ended up in Hospital.

I actually think it's the cruise lines that are naive as well as some of the example passengers that have been mentioned. The forms are, if we're being honest, flimsy and pathetic. They are handed out in the full knowledge that the majority of people will tick that they are fine even if they are not, for the fear of missing out on a holiday they have been looking forward to. 

Instead of passing out the leaflet like it's a 10% discount for double glazing windows that's expected to be ignored, the paper should be much clearer, easier to understand and come from a different angle. The existing wording, particularly with P&O Cruises is almost accusatory towards passengers which immediately concerns us that if we say anything at all it will result in negative consequences. If cruise lines stated the process of what would happen if we where to say "yes" then perhaps passengers would be more inclined to be honest if they knew they weren't likely to be treated like they have done something wrong just from being ill in the last 24-48 hours. 

On our last holiday in the people carrier to the ship from the airport the woman behind us was being very sick. She had stayed in a hotel in Stansted the night before and thought it was something she ate. Another couple saw her husband 2 days into the cruise who said she was still ill. I am sure she did not admit her illness as she was up the gang plank before us. How selfish. On the day before we went home a man did a huge sneeze right over our coffee table and of course I was really ill with a terrible cold which then went to my partner. One week on - never felt I had the benefit of going away! I also notice people not washing their hands after going to the toilet and Celebrity are very hygiene careful their toilets are more often than not attended by staff at all times.