My wife and I are looking to book a p and o Caribbean cruise around November time.We have been quoted well in excess of £2000 for a select price and around £1700 for a early saver,usual rules applying.This is for a balcony cabin and Manchester flights.My question is,if we leave to the last minute as long as there is availability,in other people's experiences would the price come down further

Hi midhusband,

I've not had much experience with Caribbean cruising but I have with Med and other destinations and I'm sure the same rules would apply. I would expect the price to come down more yes, pending availability on the cruise of course. Not sure how much but I am sure that you would make a saving. 

It depends on what you're looking for though. If it's a better price then yes I would advise waiting but if you want choice of cabin, dining etc then better to book earlier and take a punt.

I hope you get the booking you're looking for and have a lovely time.

I'm only ever so slightly envious of you going to the Caribbean tongue.png

Hi Sammy.Thanks for the reply.We have been on many cruises and have never booked a saver price.As you mentioned,if we want a decent cabin location and specific dining we must book a select price,plus at the moment they are offering £400 per cabin obc.Im tempted by this offer.We love the Caribbean it's so laid back. Not sure if you've been or not but try it

Depends how late you're willing to leave it and whether you're prepared to miss out completely. From my experience, the prices for the late November and early December fly-cruises to the Caribbean fall dramatically in the last 8-12 weeks. I've seen as low as £849pp inside and £999pp balcony for 2 weeks. But it's definitely a risk to wait, and just because it's happened before, doesn't mean the same will happen again.. Given we have two kids, these cruises aren't options for us anyway, but I do see the offers and use them as an excuse to get grumpy given how much we have to pay to go during school holidays :)

If you're set on what cruise you want and cabin/dining then I feel it's always best to book at a price you're comfortable with, then don't watch for price updates. If you're flexible and really don't mind if you miss out (and can go e.g. in Jan/Feb instead), might be worth waiting. Your decision though.

Hi Sammy.Thanks for the reply.We have been on many cruises and have never booked a saver price.As you mentioned,if we want a decent cabin location and specific dining we must book a select price,plus at the moment they are offering £400 per cabin obc.Im tempted by this offer.We love the Caribbean it's so laid back. Not sure if you've been or not but try it

I would love to. I've been a few times on land stay holidays in the past but never cruised the Caribbean. My wife is bound by school holiday times so unless we go over Christmas it makes it almost impossible. Hopefully one day soon we'll do it.

We booked early on Azura a couple of years ago the cost dropped by about £700pp i was gutted, we had 3 cabins as well as both mine and my husbands parents came too. Could have booked another cruise with difference. i'd be tempted to wait if we did the Caribbean again.

i think as long as you are willing to compromise on certain things you will get a good deal

I agree, if there are many elements to your holiday that you feel are very important and if you didn't get would ruin it then I would say book early to avoid being disappointed, if you are more driven by the price and are not too bothered about airport, cabin, dining ect then book the saver.

Guest MHRedhill

A definite yes it will fall very low, never known it not to especially November early December. Its individual choice what you prefer. below see my own take on things and no criticism of others choices just my opinion.

I always book select pricing..I have no choice owing to business commitments, I cruise in the Caribbean on Azura at least 3 x 2 weeks between sail out (Oct) and sail back (March). Almost every conversation about prices I overhear lies between those who book early and feel aggrieved that others book late and get the deals and those who book really late and get the bargain price. Many of the former moan continuously about late bookers and cheaper prices, while many late bookers from overheard conversations seem to spend their entire holiday bemoaning the late savers additional cost of shuttles and cabins not positioned where they prefer and dinner arrangements they are not happy with.

Personally I travel as a single, have to book early, like a balcony, pay a massive supplement for doing so despite a stellar on board spend and hate the MDR so book speciality every meal. Do I moan? Why the heck would I? I now what the product is, I make my choice and just get on and enjoy it, I'm on holiday, its what it is and what I can afford. My life is what defines what i can book and when not P&O. If others can get a "deal" let them but please do understand what you are booking and for gawds sake for many stop moaning you pay a lot less on a particular basis, complaining won't change the terms.

Do what you feel suits your life and what you are happy to pay and recognise what you may get. You will always get a good price later but you may find your cabin will be almost in the bridge with the captain forward or as far aft as possible to be and your dining time not what ideally you would have chosen. If that is fine by you then go for a late saver, if not book it as soon as you can.

• 2 weeks later...

I would think in November you would have no problems with the ship being full. You can do a late deal about July/Sept each year it is cheaper and we never have had a bad cabin if you want a balcony eg. You can always change your dining the 2nd day with the restaurant manager if it is not what you want. You leave about 630am fly until tea time get off exhausted and they are slick with embarkation in Barbados, after a short coach ride. Wear layers, I wear my gilet and cashmere cardigan and lightweight top and black or coloured trousers because when you get there the cases have not got to the cabin so I just take off the top layers ready for dinner almost immediately after muster.The first night you all mix in the dining room, the next night you have your alloted dining request or table. I suggest take a pack a mac as it can rain. Once there the one or two boleros will be sufficient you will not feel cold. Sun dress with wide shoulders to hide costume best, for trips out to beaches. Underwear in beach bag. You use their pool towels ashore so don't pack any.