Another good reason why I book my cruises with Bolsover Cruise Club, they advised me on this months ago.

As usual though the press take one persons story and run it around as if its the Gospel.  Yes the rules did change and yes agents do have a responsibility to pass these changes on but at the end of the day Thomson are correct this is a passengers own responsibility to check what visas they need and get them.  I know for a FACT that anyone who had already been granted an ESTA already with an older style passport would get an Email from them advising of the changes.

Plus it affects so few people that again not really a story, the people who wont have an ePassport will have had their passports issued between October 2005 and October 2006 so with most cruise operators and holiday companys asking for a 6 month validity on someones passport then these older passports should have been renewed anyway unless the travellers are ignoring this advise. And if so again its not the agents fault.

All the article needed was a picture of the family looking sad pointing at their passport

I could not agree with you more.I often travel to the USA and know they are very strict, plus I though that where ever you travel now you need 6 month left on your passport and it wopuld appear that there was only 5 months left on this one. Very sad for the family but as they say always read the small print.

Hi  As responders have stated entering the USA was never a pleasant experience and you really do have to observe all their rules and regulations.  I do feel a little sorry for those who have been caught on this change in policy but it is your responsibility to adhere to USA home security issues.  If Donald Trump does become President things could become much more difficult.

.  If Donald Trump does become President things could become much more difficult.

that is a different subject altogether, but if they are daft enough to vote for trump expect a very messy very long war not long after, the man is clinically insane