My wife & I have just committed to a 16 night cruise next June with Saga. Now I may be getting on a bit but never considered myself a 'Saga' passenger (I apologise now if you are a regular saga sailor!). But, having just come off the phone to my travel agent at Bolsover they have suggested an itinerary called 'A Mediterranean Trio'. I didn't even realise Bolsover did saga holidays but apparantly they've recently started selling them.

We prefer smaller ships and as well as some of the ports in particular attracting us to this cruise (Castellón de la Plana, Dalt Vila in Ibiza), we were rather pleasantly surprised at the inclusions of this holiday - as well as the usual meals etc you also get gratuities inlcuded, wine or beer with meals, and a chauffeur to take us from our house to the port. Pretty good service if you ask me.

I'm hoping we get some good feedback from you well-travelled people about Saga, since we've already gone ahead and booked!

Sounds great. I hope you have a lovely time. I've never sailed with them myself and with a 1 year old daughter, I'm not likely to be anytime soon as keeping her entertained is half the battle. I'll be interested to read what you thought on your return though. I know a lot of people that have sailed with them and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Hi  I hope you enjoy your cruise, I sure you will.  I did enquiry about a Saga cruise but as I live in the north the chaufffeur service was too far from the port for them to offer the service.  I asked whether I could get a discount for not being able to use this useful service but my request was turned down so I didn't book the cruise.

Thanks Sammy. And that's a shame Land Ahoy, I didnt realise the chauffeur service had a limitation on it. We initially thought them to be quite expensive but when doing the math they actually work out similar value, with these few added extras to make our lives easier.

I'm currently 'googling' the Saga Pearl ii for images and videos and our agent was quite right, the ship does seem a little more modern than we were anticipating. My thoughts are a step up from Fred Olsen? Please correct me if im wrong!

As soon as you hear the words 'Saga' many people, including myself turn their noses up at thought... As Saga target their holidays to the 'senior' cruiser who is 50 and over you instantly think these cruises will be boring and drab. I've not sailed with Saga myself, but I've always heard great feedback from people who have sailed on a Saga cruise, and many haven't looked back since. The itinerary you've chosen Don looks great and I hope you have a great cruise.

As soon as you hear the words 'Saga' many people, including myself turn their noses up at thought... As Saga target their holidays to the 'senior' cruiser who is 50 and over you instantly think these cruises will be boring and drab. I've not sailed with Saga myself, but I've always heard great feedback from people who have sailed on a Saga cruise, and many haven't looked back since. The itinerary you've chosen Don looks great and I hope you have a great cruise.

That used to be my original thought too Cast ashore. I always had a negative perception of Saga but like yourself, I spoke to many people both at work and socially who had sailed with them and had a great time. I had a similar opinion of Fred Olsen as well until I came on this forum and found an abundance of people who thought differently. I think I've just learned a little to look past my initial thoughts and focus on the bigger picture. I think that comes with cruising more as well and understanding what different cruise lines can offer. 

Saga for me, as previously said though is likely to be some way off due to having a little girl but also I don't quite meet the age requirement (no offence intended Don) wacko.png

I also had a similar perception of Fred Olsen, but have since come to realise that you shouldn't knock something until you've tried it! Some of the latest feedback on the forum from passengers who have sailed with Fred OIsen has been positive. Like you Sammy I don't meet the age requirement for Saga, but I would definitely encourage someone like my parents to give them a try. It would be interesting to hear from any other forum members who are thinking of cruising with Saga / have sailed with them, to see what feedback they have to give. 

I haven't sailed with Saga myself but after seeing the ships on their internet site, I too am very tempted to give them a go. The ships are far more contemporary than I expected and some of their itineraries are quite appealing. I have been looking for an alternative to P&O Cruises of late, but have never quite fancied Fred Olsen. I think Saga could bridge the gap between the two quite nicely. I spoke to a lady on the train recently who had sailed with Saga 24 times in the last few years, having previously sailed with P&O and Freds. She said she wouldn't cruise with anybody else now, which seems to say a lot about Saga

I have now done 6 cruises with Saga on both ships, the Pearl although not as large as the Sapphire is my favourite, you will find all the staff are amazing mostly from the Philippines, they really cannot do enough for you, the food also is excellent.  The included insurance and free transport with 250 miles of the departure point is also a very big bonus to us, the most we have ever had in the taxi is 4 including ourselves (exclusive to yourselves within 75 miles).  Also now you get free wine with lunch and dinner and free wi-fi throughout the ship.  We always went before with P &O but found standards at started to slip somewhat so tried Saga and have never looked back.  I had 2 cruises booked for this year but unfortunately have had to cancel due to serious health issues, but no problem to Saga, let them know and they refunded every single penny within 5 days including the insurance premium.  Enjoy you cruise.

I didn't realise that insurance and free transport upto 250 miles of the departure point was included in the price you paid with Saga - a very big bonus for many. There has been quite a bit of talk on the forum about P&O Cruises' standards dropping, and after hearing from someone who has sailed with Saga numerous times like you Elvis, they may be inclined to give Saga a go.

I have now done 6 cruises with Saga on both ships, the Pearl although not as large as the Sapphire is my favourite, you will find all the staff are amazing mostly from the Philippines, they really cannot do enough for you, the food also is excellent.  The included insurance and free transport with 250 miles of the departure point is also a very big bonus to us, the most we have ever had in the taxi is 4 including ourselves (exclusive to yourselves within 75 miles).  Also now you get free wine with lunch and dinner and free wi-fi throughout the ship.  We always went before with P &O but found standards at started to slip somewhat so tried Saga and have never looked back.  I had 2 cruises booked for this year but unfortunately have had to cancel due to serious health issues, but no problem to Saga, let them know and they refunded every single penny within 5 days including the insurance premium.  Enjoy you cruise.

Sounds like a superb service. I can see why you book with them.

From this year if you book before end of June, transport is included from anywhere in the UK, also tips are also included and shuttle buses if more than 500 yards from ship to take you into town.

Another great incentive for those who are looking to book their first Saga cruise if they book before the end of June!