We have been informed that the service charge (or tips) has just been raised from £5 per day to £5.50 per day on P&O ships from 1st May 2016. This is a 10% increase. I don't mind the fact that this has been increased, but I am concerned about the lack of prior notice (we go on our next cruise in a few days time.) I know that we can opt out of tipping via the bill and reward directly: this would not make any difference to what we would give to the steward, waiters etc. Fortunately, our cruise is a relatively short one, but larger families on longer cruises could be facing an extra bill of £30 to £40 which they may not have budgeted for.

I always feel that tipping is a difficult one! The problem is that 9 times out of 10 the staff thoroughly deserve that extra 50p!

50p a day doesn't sound much I agree, but that's a 10% increase, which in the current financial climate is a massive increase, especially when you times that by about 2500 paying guests on numerous ships.

And can we be absolutely certain that it all goes to the onboard crew?

HLM.

Hi   I am sure I'm not the only one who doesn't begrudge paying the hard working staff a living wage and so gratefully pay the recommended tips.  Unlike a few of this forum I have never recieved bad service on any cruise although I must admit sometimes my requests could have been dealt with more promptly but these incidents didn't affect my overall enjoyment.  The "massive" rise is tips is still only £5.50 per passenger per day but the cost of parking at Southampton is greater but I don't think the owner of the land owner does a great deal to warrant this amount of money but I have yet to hear many of this forum complain about this.  I think the trouble is really down to many passengers thinking the boarding fare is the final cost of the holiday.  It isn't, we all know that tips, drinks, shore excursions, internet packages etc all add greatly to cost and these should factored into the final cost before booking. 

PS This is my last post on the subject of tipping, it's been extensively debated on this forum and it's obvious that no consensus will ever be reached.

Hi   I am sure I'm not the only one who doesn't begrudge paying the hard working staff a living wage and so gratefully pay the recommended tips.  Unlike a few of this forum I have never recieved bad service on any cruise although I must admit sometimes my requests could have been dealt with more promptly but these incidents didn't affect my overall enjoyment.  The "massive" rise is tips is still only £5.50 per passenger per day but the cost of parking at Southampton is greater but I don't think the owner of the land does a great deal to warrant this amount of money but I have yet to hear many of this forum complain about this.  I think the trouble is really down to many passengers thinking the boarding fare is the final cost of the holiday.  It isn't, we all know that tips, drinks, shore excursions, internet packages etc all add greatly to cost and these should factored into the final cost before booking. 

PS This is my last post on the subject of tipping, it's been extensively debated on this forum and it's obvious that no consensus will ever be reached.

I do agree with your post. I really don’t know why people have a problem with tipping. We all know it’s part of the deal and If people object I think they should try a different type of holiday. As far as I’m concerned all this debate about a small amount extra only serves increases my belief that instead of paying gratuities the price of cruising should be increased.

I do agree with your post. I really don’t know why people have a problem with tipping. We all know it’s part of the deal and If people object I think they should try a different type of holiday. As far as I’m concerned all this debate about a small amount extra only serves increases my belief that instead of paying gratuities the price of cruising should be increased.

I personally don't have any problem with tipping, but regardless of how much the daily charge is, I strongly believe a 10% increase is an absolute disgrace.

Would we accept this increase in everyday life, such a petrol going up 10% or 10% on our weekly shop, I suspect not so why should we accept it on a cruise?

HLM.

Hi I am sure I'm not the only one who doesn't begrudge paying the hard working staff a living wage and so gratefully pay the recommended tips. Unlike a few of this forum I have never recieved bad service on any cruise although I must admit sometimes my requests could have been dealt with more promptly but these incidents didn't affect my overall enjoyment. The "massive" rise is tips is still only £5.50 per passenger per day but the cost of parking at Southampton is greater but I don't think the owner of the land owner does a great deal to warrant this amount of money but I have yet to hear many of this forum complain about this. I think the trouble is really down to many passengers thinking the boarding fare is the final cost of the holiday. It isn't, we all know that tips, drinks, shore excursions, internet packages etc all add greatly to cost and these should factored into the final cost before booking.

The thing is Land Ahoy regardless of the daily charge it's still a 10% increase, which is "massive", how long will it be before Cunard and others in the Carnival group follow suit, on Cunard their daily charge is around £10, it'll soon be £11, add that to the 18% service charge and it all starts to add up.

I think people are naive if they think it all goes directly to the crew, P&O/ Carnival will be taking their cut I'm sure.

With the financial state of this country as it is I'd say they are taking a big risk by increasing anything, especially a 10% one.

HLM.

Some prics hav increased by similar amounts due to the increases in the living wage. Perhaps this increase means the crew will, effectively, be on this wage. Like many others I would prefer the crew to be paid properly for all the work they do even if this means increasing cruise prices then I can ge at liberty to tip, as a bonus, those who have clearly and personally made my holiday that bit better.

Some prics hav increased by similar amounts due to the increases in the living wage. Perhaps this increase means the crew will, effectively, be on this wage. Like many others I would prefer the crew to be paid properly for all the work they do even if this means increasing cruise prices then I can ge at liberty to tip, as a bonus, those who have clearly and personally made my holiday that bit better.

The price increase has nothing to do with the introduction of living wage being brought in. Majority if not all of the staff that receive gratuities have no connection or nothing to do with the UK and P&O have no legal obligation to pay it.

It was a 25% increase a couple of years ago and now another 10% increase, yes I know they work hard nobody would dispute that fact but in context lots of people work very hard for their money. P&O should be the ones to reward their staff with a 10% increase if that is what they feel they are worth and not the customer. 

If any of you went to a hotel on a full board basis for a fortnight would you leave the staff a £154.00 tip? and don't they work just as hard in a hotel doing the same job. I am all for giving tips but I think it is wrong of P&O to decide to raise it without feedback being asked from their customer's. 

As Sinbad has said the living wage only applies to the UK, and I suspect that being registered elsewhere means they under no obligation to pay it, and they obviously don't.

If P&O are so concerned about their staff, let them dip into the profits and pay a decent wage and not rely on it's loyal customers to reward them, at this rate I'd be more inclined to remove the gratuities as a protest.

Petty maybe, but I read a recent review on Britannia where someone actually paid a whopping £143pppn, that's without the grat!!!!!! so I'm more than convinced that P&O capable of covering the 10% increase themselves.

I'd also be interested to know other service providers who've increased their charges by 10%, even utility companies haven't had the bottle to do that, and that's saying something.

HLM.

HLM, our council tax bill for this year has very small increases for the county & borough council parts but the parish council has decide that it's precept should have a massive increase. Ours has gone up from £14.86 last year to £75.43 this year!

HLM, our council tax bill for this year has very small increases for the county & borough council parts but the parish council has decide that it's precept should have a massive increase. Ours has gone up from £14.86 last year to £75.43 this year!

Wow a 500% increase that is impressive, how have they justified this increase? (Please forgive my maths if they are wrong).

Mine went up by about 2.75%.

HLM.

As Sinbad has said the living wage only applies to the UK, and I suspect that being registered elsewhere means they under no obligation to pay it, and they obviously don't.

If P&O are so concerned about their staff, let them dip into the profits and pay a decent wage and not rely on it's loyal customers to reward them, at this rate I'd be more inclined to remove the gratuities as a protest.

Petty maybe, but I read a recent review on Britannia where someone actually paid a whopping £143pppn, that's without the grat!!!!!! so I'm more than convinced that P&O capable of covering the 10% increase themselves.

I'd also be interested to know other service providers who've increased their charges by 10%, even utility companies haven't had the bottle to do that, and that's saying something.

HLM.

I appreciate that P&O like to give the impression of being the best of British but are owned by Carnival. If customers do not like the hike in gratutity charges then there is a solution - book elsewhere as there is plenty of choice. Alternatively take. The charge off the bill and gve out cash. I am suprised to note HLM has not worked out the ppn rate before as I know we always seem to pay around that figure for a balcony on select. We are going on a 30 night cruise next year and will think very hard about paying £330.00 in gratuties on top of the rate per night I have agreed to pay.

With a rise like that I would either vote them out at the next election or MOVE to another Area.ohmy.png ohmy.png

I appreciate that P&O like to give the impression of being the best of British but are owned by Carnival. If customers do not like the hike in gratutity charges then there is a solution - book elsewhere as there is plenty of choice. Alternatively take. The charge off the bill and gve out cash. I am suprised to note HLM has not worked out the ppn rate before as I know we always seem to pay around that figure for a balcony on select. We are going on a 30 night cruise next year and will think very hard about paying £330.00 in gratuties on top of the rate per night I have agreed to pay.

Well with several P&O cruises under my belt I can honestly say I've never paid £143pppn for a balcony cabin, and never would.

Admittedly I've never booked "select fare" as I am unable to commit to far in advance, but even if I could I wouldn't pay that price.

P&O are ok, but by no means 5* and to justify that cost I'd want a lot more than they currently offer.

HLM.

Wow a 500% increase that is impressive, how have they justified this increase? (Please forgive my maths if they are wrong).

Mine went up by about 2.75%.

HLM.

They've tried to justify it but a petition has been circulating the town against it. Won't hold my breath.

They've tried to justify it but a petition has been circulating the town against it. Won't hold my breath.

I suppose I should be grateful mines only 2.75%.

Good luck with the petition, I'm sure when they realise their expenses are at risk they'll see sense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HLM.

This is always a very emotive topic and I will put myself in the firing line to admit I do have a problem with tipping. Generally where it's expected not earned! I pay for my fare which, as with a hotel and restaurant I would expect my bed to be made, bathroom cleaned & meals served. If that's all I get, why would that justify a tip? I totally disagree with people who say "it's part of cruising and if you don't like it take a different type of holiday' Why should I and have these pseudo elitists or 'sheep' not heard of 'If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got'? That said, I do tip and at the going rate, because so far I might be lucky but I've always had super friendly & helpful staff - my 'beef' is EXPECTATION rather than justification.

This is always a very emotive topic and I will put myself in the firing line to admit I do have a problem with tipping. Generally where it's expected not earned! I pay for my fare which, as with a hotel and restaurant I would expect my bed to be made, bathroom cleaned & meals served. If that's all I get, why would that justify a tip? I totally disagree with people who say "it's part of cruising and if you don't like it take a different type of holiday' Why should I and have these pseudo elitists or 'sheep' not heard of 'If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got'? That said, I do tip and at the going rate, because so far I might be lucky but I've always had super friendly & helpful staff - my 'beef' is EXPECTATION rather than justification.

Then write to the cruise companies and tell them. Unfortunately whether you or anyone else dislike it I'm afraid it is part of cruising. I myself have written to Christopher Edgington only today giving my views Until things change I intend paying what is expected. I can assure you I am no pseudo elitist or a sheep and I think those comments are uncalled for.