Mother left sobbing on dock as cruise ship leaves with children on board

I'm sorry, but how stupid can some people be?!  Most cruise companies do not let you leave your children on board whilst you go ashore, but even if they did (like NCL) would you?

I know I certainly wouldn't regardelss of my childrens ages.  I'm sure the children were well looked after till their parents rejoined the ship at a later port but even so, how horrific for them.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/mother-misses-cruise-ship-which-left-port-with-children-on-board-a3234566.html

I find this completely bewildering. Obviously there are reasons why she may have missed the ship. Perhaps there were issues we have not been made aware of but it seems totally crazy that people still manage to get left behind these days despite so many notices of when the ship will leave and the time you need to be back on board by. 

As for leaving her children on board alone, I'm of the same opinion as you Mimosa. I have a one year old daughter so obviously at her age I would never leave her but even when she's older, I would always want to make sure she was with my wife and I if we were going ashore. I'm sure it's perfectly safe to leave children on board but I just wouldn't do it. Obviously that's just my opinion.

I agree Sammy Sun, children are perfectly safe when in the kids club, I don't doubt that. 

But what if something happened to the kids during that time?  All kids can slip, fall, really hurt themselves regardless of how close you watch them.  At least if you are on the ship you can be contacted.  I'd never forgive myself if I wasn't there if my children really needed me.

And no excuse for missing the ship at all.  You get emergancy contact details for the port aurthorities if anything should come up whilst on shore.  The ship can thenm be notified

I didn't think you could leave the ship without one parent/guardian being on board? This clearly doesn't seem to be the case with NCL. I'm sure that the kids were well looked after in the Kids Club, I don't doubt that, I'm just really surprised that the parents weren't back on the ship in time! You would've thought that they would've double checked the time that they needed to back on board and given themselves plenty of time to get back on time. Obviously not!

I agree Sammy Sun, children are perfectly safe when in the kids club, I don't doubt that. 

But what if something happened to the kids during that time?  All kids can slip, fall, really hurt themselves regardless of how close you watch them.  At least if you are on the ship you can be contacted.  I'd never forgive myself if I wasn't there if my children really needed me.

And no excuse for missing the ship at all.  You get emergancy contact details for the port aurthorities if anything should come up whilst on shore.  The ship can thenm be notified

I'm of exactly the same opinion Mimosa. If something happened to my daughter and I wasn't there i would never forgive myself either. Anything could happen. It seems ridiculous that they decided to do this and even more ridiculous that they managed to miss the ship. You would have thought that considering the kids were being left on board, they would have been even more mindful of the time when looking to get back to the ship.

Just because the lady in question claims her children are on board, has there been any confirmation from NCL this is correct.  I find it very hard to imagine any cruise ship would just sail into the Sunset with unaccompanied minors on board.

There could be many scenarios like the children are adults, could we just jumping to the most obvious conclusion?

Ultimately it is your responsibility to get back to the ship on time, but I’m sure she will have been offered assistance. 

Incredible! There could of course be genuine reasons for not making it back to the ship in time AND not being able to contact the ship's agent, but all the same, this is shocking! Even if the ship's policy is to allow children to stay onboard, surely they would not leave port in this situation, at least not without waiting for a certain amount of time. I've lost count of the number of late departures to allow latecomers time to get back (not that it's right...).

We experienced similar on our very first cruise back in 2001. A single mum left her daughter onboard while ashore in Havana, Cuba - she didn't make it back to the ship even though we didn't sail until 2am and she then had to travel across Cuba to meet the ship in Santiago THREE DAYS LATER. 

We were also very surprised on one of our Oriana cruises to get the dreaded "would X please call the pursers desk" a whole hour after we had sailed from Gibraltar. Made more surprising by the fact that, when I called, I was calmly asked if our 4-year-old son had boarded with us!!! An hour after leaving!

oh my! my heart goes out to this women bless her. i would never leave my children on board anyway but i am sure there are reasons why she missed the ship. i remember once i was in Santorini and the journey by bus to the beach was 10 mins,  on the way back i thought it would be the same but went all round the island before coming back to the port which included pigs chickens etc on board lol! - i just made the last tender.   

Reading other reports the children were 9 & 12

"Passenger Brady Forbes told MailOnline Travel that the children - a boy aged around 9 and a girl aged around 12 - were left alone on the 4,000-passenger ship when it disembarked without their parents on 21 April.

He said: ‘The kids and dad were on board the ship at the right time, but the mom was not on the ship yet.

‘After that, the husband went out to look for the wife and the ship gave them more time than normal.

‘They found the wife but obviously not in time as the ship sailed away.

'Both husband and wife were not able to make the ship in time after they missed it."

"Passenger Brady Forbes told MailOnline Travel that the children - a boy aged around 9 and a girl aged around 12 - were left alone on the 4,000-passenger ship when it disembarked without their parents on 21 April.

He said: ‘The kids and dad were on board the ship at the right time, but the mom was not on the ship yet.

‘After that, the husband went out to look for the wife and the ship gave them more time than normal.

'Both husband and wife were not able to make the ship in time after they missed it."

I read on another forum the children were 5 and 7, regardless of their age though I find it totally unacceptable that any parent would leave their children on board whether in the kids club or not.

With all modern day communciation methods, mobiles & even long range walkie talkie I find it odd that the parents couldnt communciate with each other, and for the father to leave the children on ship surely he should have taken them with him. Leaving them without family onboard is irresponsible to say the least

That must of been one heck of a difficult decision by the Captain to leave both parents ashore, knowing that the ship would have to take responsibility for two children.

HLM.

The following has now been reported.

Norwegian Cruise Line said that the mother had been late for the cruise ship's departure.

It said: 'The onboard team located her husband and children on board but the family was not able to reach her, nor did they know when she would be returning.

'Due to the circumstances, the ship went beyond normal protocol and waited an additional half an hour for the guest.

'When she had still not returned and following consultation with the family, it was decided that the husband would disembark with their travel documents to wait for his wife while the children would stay with their uncle and his family on the ship for the remainder of the voyage.

'The company offered travel and lodging assistance to the couple and arrangements were made for them to reunite with the ship upon her return to New York on April 24.

The following has now been reported.

Norwegian Cruise Line said that the mother had been late for the cruise ship's departure.

It said: 'The onboard team located her husband and children on board but the family was not able to reach her, nor did they know when she would be returning.

'Due to the circumstances, the ship went beyond normal protocol and waited an additional half an hour for the guest.

'When she had still not returned and following consultation with the family, it was decided that the husband would disembark with their travel documents to wait for his wife while the children would stay with their uncle and his family on the ship for the remainder of the voyage.

'The company offered travel and lodging assistance to the couple and arrangements were made for them to reunite with the ship upon her return to New York on April 24.

That at least explains why they sailed with the children still onboard, I wonder what would've happened if there was no uncle?

HLM.

Just because the lady in question claims her children are on board, has there been any confirmation from NCL this is correct.  I find it very hard to imagine any cruise ship would just sail into the Sunset with unaccompanied minors on board.

There could be many scenarios like the children are adults, could we just jumping to the most obvious conclusion?

Ultimately it is your responsibility to get back to the ship on time, but I’m sure she will have been offered assistance. 

Children!!! I am sure that many consider that their children are still their children at 50 or 40 or even older

• 4 months later...