RiverSong

Would You pay For Travel Brochures?

If that was the only available way to get hold of a paper copy then yes, I would as I prefer to sit and read through a brochure rather than clicking around on the computer (that's probably my age!). After all these years of being able to wander into my local travel agency and pick up a couple of brochures for research it would certainly grate me to have to start paying now.

As much as I do like looking at brochures, like I previously said on this thread, most things can be easily accessed online. The other read I'm a big fan of though is Bolsover's magazine. It's been discussed recently on here and it's a good read, especially when considering it's free. I find you can get a lot from that so if brochures were to be charged for at some point but that remained free, I'll take the magazine and my online resources and leave the at a price brochures well alone.

No, I wouldn't pay for a brochure. Most people nowadays are quite confident going online and looking up info on there. I know there will be some people that don't have a computer though and would expect a cruise line to send them a brochure as a lot of cruises are high value!

Yes I would pay for a brochure if I wanted one. I think if your serious about doing a cruise then you would be happy to pay for the brochure!

If people don't want to pay then just look at it online! It's about time we saved some trees and go green!!

Any company that decides to try this will commit commercial suicide.  The lost sales because people just look elsewhere will wipe out any savings several thousand times over.

Argos tried this once - it didn't last long!

I don't really want to pay for a brochure but getting hold of a "full" brochure with all the deck plans and cabin grades and configurations can be difficult, I am still waiting for RCI to send me their 2017 brochure which I requested a month ago, and even the 2016 brochure I picked up from the TA was only a shortened version with limited info.

Maybe the apparent rationing by the cruise lines of their brochures could be the start of them seeking to have us pay for them.

Do agree about the waste but it is horses for courses. It is lovely to be able to pick up the brochure & browse through whenever you want to. It's a bit like "do you prefer your Kindle or a hard copy book" some do , some don't. However it could hit Travel Agent shops if people have to pay for brochures as what is the point of going in if you don't know what your full choice is. An assistant can only show you so many. Also as older people, we are computer literate & do look online as well as brochures but not to patronise, some older people do not like the internet.

I would never pay for brochures because imagine the problem of 3 of you trying to sit round a computer while you scroll through the pages and some may need more time to digest the information on each page.

When we book another cruise my wife looks through a number of brochures and marks the relevant pages. I then look at what she has highlighted and may add a few other suggestions and make written comment on the cruise that I may fancy.

How on earth can you do that on a computer screen and don't propose to print out selected pages when printer ink is dearer than champagne

I find it easier to compare cruises online. I know the areas I want to visit and the approximate time I want to travel, so it is easy to go to the cruise line sites I am interested in. I select a few choices and have a window open for each line so I can flip back and forth. The prices on line are more current than the inflated ones in the brochures, and deck plans are there to study, as is information about ports of call. Once I have narrowed down to a couple of choices, husband gets involved in the final decision. I haven't looked at a brochure for several years.

I love browsing through the brochures even though I use the internet for practically everything these days.  Not even with a tablet can you flick from section to section; checking deck plans while looking at cabin descriptions; matching consecutive cruises on different pages for that B2B special holiday; being inspired by places you never have searched for on the online version; adding visible post-it notes to aid return views; using some of the high quality images for that post-cruise scrapbook.  The advantages are endless, but would I pay?  Arn't I paying enough for the cruise already?