What's recommended in Guernsey?

Hi Honey73,

Guernsey has a great local bus service which goes all the way around the coast road for just £1.00, you can catch this, just up from where you will get off the tender. You can get off at the various beaches or just stay on for an island tour, all for just £1.00!,

Lots to do in Guernsey! The German Occupation Museum is a good call, and it's a nice walk. And Castle Cornet is also worth a visit, especially with the firing of the cannon. St Peter Port itself is really nice too. But our favourite "tour" here was to the Little Chapel and especially the German Underground Hospital - very eerie and fascinating. We took a taxi and it wasn't too expensive, but I am sure there are buses available. There are also trips available to the smaller islands, either with the ship's excursions or taking a ferry dockside. We haven't done that, but people we spoke with who did really enjoyed it. Have a great time!

Hi all.  I have the number of a taxi driver who took us around the island for 3 hours showing us lots of things you wouldn't normally see.  I think his vehicle holds 6 passengers and it was about £ 120 from memory.  Yes sounds alot but split it 6 ways ??  He is a very interesting chap. We are using him again shortly and he's taking us to the pub !!  Clare.  PM if you want the number.

Hi  I l have visited the Guernsey website and they state that the local bus services have a maximum fare of £1.  It's highly likely that private operators do island tours and they will charge more. 

yes they do but there is no island roundtrip or service 7 or 7A mentioned so perhaps a summer service and when we went we walked to the left of harbour to bus terminus and there was a massive queue and they had to put extra buses on and we paid more than a £1pp  that I do know and like I said it was 3 or 4 yrs ago. Perhaps they have changed the price again but we were on Princess cruises and all the way around the island locals waiting at bus stops because they were always full and never stopped for them.

• 1 month later...

My daughter lives on the island and it is really lovely. I do recommend the underground hospital, and perhaps climb up to the ruins near the port - lots of steps for a view, however there is not a lot to do and see other than it is really pretty and the bus fares are very cheap. The nicest bay is Vazon Bay a lovely sweep of sand and a few eateries opposite. We always visit Le Friquet garden centre in the middle of the island where there are a few climbing frames for the children and a coffee shop and cheap pensioners lunches and baby friendly too. There are very few places for children to play on. Just remember that although the shops seem the same as UK they are almost all a franchise so anything you buy e g M and S clothing etc they cannot be exchanged back home. The beach by the port is cordoned off as a safe bathing area if the sea is warm enough and the schools go there to swim too in the summer.