Is it the beginning of the end for the Promenade Deck?

My dad recently returned from a cruise aboard Celebrity Solstice around Australia and New Zealand. They had a great time on board and loved the cruise but he did mention the lack of a full wrap around Prom deck. This by no means ruined the cruise for them, it was their fourth Celebrity cruise and they had a brilliant time.  If they wanted a stroll, they headed for deck 14 instead, around the jogging track, but it got me thinking about the lack of full wrap around promenades on many ships these days and on some, the lack of any promenade deck at all.

P&O's Britannia came in for a lot of criticism for lacking a prom deck, as did Princess's Royal and Regal Princess seeing as they are the same design. I now see Princess have confirmed an order for two more ships of a similar style so are we witnessing the end of the promenade deck as we know it? With cruise lines instead preferring to use the space to create more internal areas on board?

It wouldn't ruin my cruise, nor would I purposefully not book a cruise because a ship lacked a prom deck but when I'm on board, wandering around the prom deck, particularly at night after dinner is something I've always enjoyed. Where it to disappear, I think it would be a bit of a shame.

Of course there are exceptions to the rule. Norwegian Cruise Line's Escape introduced a new concept for the prom deck, making the most of the outdoor space rather than losing it altogether. NCL describe the area as a "quarter-mile wraparound ocean front promenade that allows you to connect with the ocean while experiencing some of our signature venues." I like that they have chosen to go down this route and I see a few other cruise lines are attempting a similar concept.

My question is, would you miss the promenade deck if it disappeared from new-build ships or would you prefer to see it stay for many years to come?

I don't think it would ruin my cruise but I do like a prom deck and I would miss it. Having just been on the Oceana made me realise how much I missed a Crow's nest.sad.png

A good point Tally, that's another example of a previous cruise tradition and stalwart of cruising that now rarely makes an appearance on new build ships.

I do like a wrap around promenade deck for walking early morning & after lunch , I guess it' because I like being close to the sea , it just isn't the same walking around on the upper decks .

I really like the photo of NCL's Escape prom deck .......seems' the best of both worlds ' to me !

Me too Northern Star. I think it's a great idea to make the most of the space there without losing the appeal the prom deck offers. I also think it's a brilliant concept to introduce al fresco areas of the restaurants on the prom deck. Many ships only offer outside dining at one or at the most two restaurants whereas NCL have opened up a whole range of bars and restaurants that line the prom deck. It's a clever design.

I'd miss the prom deck. Al fresco bars & restaurants sound good but surely depends where the ship is going eg we were on Queen Victoria to Denmark & Germany in January & the outside decks were close for a lot of the week so if there were al fresco drinking & eating areas they would have to close as well.

Our next cruise ship is the ms Maasdam which does have a wrap around outside promenade. The only problem is they've added lanai cabins on both sides of the deck. We can still use the space for walking, for now. Just wondering, what will they do with the space next?

post-5246-0-34346900-1459891461_thumb.jpg

I like the promenade decks on Fred Olsen ships. I used to be able to find a shady spot (usually under a tender) where loungers are placed.

Unfortunately, Fred have seen fit to add balconies to quite a few of the once outside cabins & suites on deck 7 (Prom deck) on Boudicca & Black Watch, which takes away a large area of sun lounger place.

This of course means that shady spots are a premium and harder to find.

I like the promenade decks on Fred Olsen ships. I used to be able to find a shady spot (usually under a tender) where loungers are placed.

Unfortunately, Fred have seen fit to add balconies to quite a few of the once outside cabins & suites on deck 7 (Prom deck) on Boudicca & Black Watch, which takes away a large area of sun lounger place.

This of course means that shady spots are a premium and harder to find.

My point exactly Tumbling, so much is being made of the space where a widespread Promenade used to reside. I often find the simplest things, can be the best, when done right. I understand cruise lines wanting to expand and make the most of internal space as well as try to differentiate themselves from their rivals but sometimes, things get lost that were actually hugely appreciated by many passengers. I've often took the prom deck for granted in the past but I would miss it if it wasn't there. Hence I like NCL's concept of developing it, making a contemporary design, without removing the wrap around altogether.

I really hope not. Like you we find its a bit of a tradition to have a walk round the deck last thing at night. We go to the farthest end and look up and see how many stars appear, and like the film 2001 Space Odesey we always say 'My God it's full of stars' - sad aren't we. But seriously we do prefer the traditional ship layout and the smaller ships. Our current favourite without a doubt are the Fred Olsen and because of their size, the ability to get further into ports