Kettle to be placed in all Staterooms ? Bye Bye Chart Room on Queen Victoria ?

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/shipping/14347911.Cunard_reveals_plans_for_investment_in_Queen_Victoria_ship/

part quote 

"Southampton-based luxury cruise company Cunard have revealed plans for investment in their Queen Victoria ship. – and introduce tea and coffee making facilities in all their fleet’s cabins."

and 

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/cunard-announces-new-details-on-remastering-of-queen-mary-2-and-queen-victoria-at-seatrade-cruise-global-300236881.html

part quote

"Cunard, which found inspiration not only in Queen Mary, but also in its guests, announced that in conjuncture with the remastering of all of its staterooms and suites, it will also introduce tea and coffee makers in each cabin.   "

So the dreaded Coffee and Tea making facilities in cabins are making their way on to The Three Queens.

Will it be a kettle, of will it be something more modern  that makes the hot water. ?

Will they cut back on the 24hr room service ?

Also with the  addition  of Britannia Club on Queen Victoria next year, does this mean that the Chart Room will go to make way for Britannia Club Diners ?  As per Queen Elizabeth, Or will the designers place the restaurant  elsewhere .

I haven't cruised with Cunard but this wouldn't offend me although it's not something I'd particularly want either.

I've mentioned before that my first cruise was with P&O and that on embarkation the steward asked what time you would like your morning tea and coffee.  I thought that this was a nice touch and was a bit disappointed when it was subsequently replaced by a kettle!

These days last thing at night we always order tea and coffee from the breakfast menu which recreates our initial experience.

Hi    I prefer to make my own tea or coffee in the morning, it suits my lifestyle better.   Having the steward bringing your morning cuppa is fine but you are woken up and sometimes I prefer to have a lie in or if I'm on a tour I may rise early.   However, I agree with those who may miss this "luxury" if you enjoy this service it can be seem as another downgrading in the service now offered by the majority of cruise lines.

Is it a big deal if there is tea & coffee making facilities in the cabins? If you use it great! Hot drinks when you want them, how you want them & not cold after coming through room service.  If you don't then it just sits there.  I can't really see that it is a big topic for debate

No debate needed, Just a bit of information like most threads ! Interesting to some and not to others. Wonder when we will have the first picture of the  "Hot water device " and extras that Cunard are going to use for the Tea and Coffee facilities in cabins.

Guest Solent Richard

Is it a big deal if there is tea & coffee making facilities in the cabins? If you use it great! Hot drinks when you want them, how you want them & not cold after coming through room service.  If you don't then it just sits there.  I can't really see that it is a big topic for debate

You are correct in one respect: it is no big deal.

Having spent more than 230 nights on various Cunard ships I have yet to experience 'cold' tea...

10964453624_aaf9316536_z.jpg

Equally I have experienced over 270 nights with P&O who have always provided tea & coffee making facilities - no big deal except there is generally a very different type of cruiser on P&O. I enjoy both cruise lines.

On my next Cunard cruise i would more than likely place any tea making facilities away 'out of site': certainly if, as I hope, room service is continued.

Hope you appreciate my debating style. wink.png wink.png

Guest Solent Richard

Also with the  addition  of Britannia Club on Queen Victoria next year, does this mean that the Chart Room will go to make way for Britannia Club Diners ?  As per Queen Elizabeth, Or will the designers place the restaurant  elsewhere .

Not exactly the sting in the tail but from where I'm coming from a long overdue addition.

Having had multiple cruises with Cunard at 'Britannia Club' level, including one solo trans Atlantic upgrade two years ago,  I'm delighted that this gives one more dining option on the Queen Victoria.  

I, and many others I know, appreciate the dining flexibility with 'Club' dining - very similar to the Grills: own table, own waiters and own sommelier for all meals and no fixed time to be there. And there is also that 'share' of the cocktail Party with the Grills passengers.

As for loosing the Chart Room that's hardly a great loss in my view. I much prefer the Commodore Club and have many great memories of meeting forum and fanzine friends there as do the 'Friends of Dorothy' prefer the Commodore Club for their meets.

Not exactly the sting in the tail but from where I'm coming from a long overdue addition.

Having had multiple cruises with Cunard at 'Britannia Club' level, including one solo trans Atlantic upgrade two years ago,  I'm delighted that this gives one more dining option on the Queen Victoria.  

I, and many others I know, appreciate the dining flexibility with 'Club' dining - very similar to the Grills: own table, own waiters and own sommelier for all meals and no fixed time to be there. And there is also that 'share' of the cocktail Party with the Grills passengers.

As for loosing the Chart Room that's hardly a great loss in my view. I much prefer the Commodore Club and have many great memories of meeting forum and fanzine friends there as do the 'Friends of Dorothy' prefer the Commodore Club for their meets.

We all have different views luckily, but for me who also uses Cunard a lot I personally will miss the demise of The Chart Room on QV. OK I agree that The Cafe Corinthia on QE and QV Is perhaps also a great place to sit and have a drink and chat. It is just the thought of change. Some people like change, others don't !.

Will be interesting to see how Cafe Carinthia in lieu of the Winter garden on QM2  develops. I wonder if They will  do away with the Healthy options and different free juices that the Chefs galley offer in the morning  and Make a charge for those drinks in the Cafe Corinthia on QM2 but supply  the breakfast and other delights. In my opinion you cant beat the Chart room on QM2 after sunset.

Guest Solent Richard

Having come down with a very nasty flu bug on our P &O cruise being able to have Lemsips at all hours of the night was a godsend. I've yet to see them on any room service menu!

Lemsips now also come in capsule form.

Especially manufactured for cruise ships with no cabin kettles? wink.png wink.png

They are if they are seen.

I take your point but I just can't understand the reasoning behind it, with tea and coffee readily available on most cruise ships, why on earth would anyone want to take a banned item onboard and potentially risk the health and safety of others.

HLM.

Guest Solent Richard

I am sure a lot of people will know Malcolm Olivers  excellent Blog, but here he shows the difference presently on QV and QE with an Aerial view

As he is not a Travel Agent, I hope it is not against forum rules to post the link.

https://malcolmoliver.wordpress.com/

Picture taken from above link.

I take your point but I just can't understand the reasoning behind it, with tea and coffee readily available on most cruise ships, why on earth would anyone want to take a banned item onboard and potentially risk the health and safety of others.

HLM.

Exactly. They are banned for a reason and the is simply safety.

And it shows a blatant disregard for everyone's safety by breaking the rules.

Guest Solent Richard

I am sure a lot of people will know Malcolm Olivers  excellent Blog, but here he shows the difference presently on QV and QE with an Aerial view

As he is not a Travel Agent, I hope it is not against forum rules to post the link.

https://malcolmoliver.wordpress.com/

Picture taken from above link.

I don't see any reason why any blog should be against forum rules.

One of the better ones I read is by another member of this forum...

http://www.wansbroughs-cruise-blog.me.uk

Onto the subject of the Queen Victoria upgrade.

I personally think this is an excellent forward step by Cunard and the current difference between the two is the reason I prefer Queen Elizabeth.