Has anyone travelled on the Marco Polo? I did a day visit to the ship several years ago which prompted me to take a cruise on her. It was a delight especially if you like 'real' ships. Marco Polo was one of 5 sisters built for the Baltic Shipping Company in 1965 and commenced her first sailing in 1966. Then named Aleksandr Pushkin she operated on the Leningrad to Montreal route. With a deep draught and ice strengthened hull Marco Polo gives a smooth ride in all but the worst weather. Marco Polo over the years has had lots of TLC lavished on her resulting in a very comfortable ship that will appeal to those in later years. Having sailed on her several times now I always look forward to my next trip. The food is excellent, up there with the large modern cruise ships and the service received on board cannot be faulted. The outstanding thing for me, and others if you read the reviews, is the entertainment. No revolving or moving stage, no electronic wizardry as on the modern ships but fantastic entertainment from a cast of very talented singers and dancers. Roll on my next trip.

• 2 months later...

Just to balance the views - although I've not been on the Marco Polo I HAVE been with Cruise & Maritime. ONCE. Never again. The food was the worst I've had at sea. The entertainment was very good, service was efficient. Old, small ships - not for me. Cruise & Maritime - not for me.

cheers

Harvey

• 1 month later...
Guest Lulucat

We saw the Marco Polo docked In Valletta when we were on holiday in Malta and thought she looked lovely - a lovely old ship.   We have often thought about taking a trip on her - if only we hadn't been spoiled by balcony cabins.   One day maybe xxx

Hi  I sailed on the Macro Polo when she was owned/chartered by The Orient Line (a much missed niche cruise company) At the time she was getting a little long in the tooth but the company offered a great cruise experience.  The food served on board was outstanding considering the cost of the  fare, on  every cruise on gala dinner was presented based on the menu based on those used by the Café Royall and was a real highlight. 

• 2 weeks later...