First Time Advice

Good Morning

I will keep it brief. Looking to book first ever cruise.

Facts:

From Southampton, return Southampton

in school holidays (summer 2016 or summer 2017) but not mobbed with kids!!!!

2 adults, destination flexible.

Questions:

Cruise line?

Duration?

Cabin/Level?

Drinks package?

Any advice welcomed

rgds

pdw

Guest Solent Richard

Good Morning

Facts:

Questions:

Cruise line?

Duration?

Cabin/Level?

Drinks package?

Any advice welcomed

rgds

pdw

Good morning Pdw and welcome to the Forum.

Lets see if I can get the ball rolling for you.

Questions:

Cruise line?      P&O Adult only ship - Arcadia 

Duration?         7, 12 or 14 days  Northern Europe/ Baltic

Cabin/Level?     Get a Balcony,

Drinks package? - No need on P&O Drinks reasonably priced and no Service Charge

Any advice welcomed    Lots but ask again when you've made your decision.

14613729895_9e60348857_z.jpg

Hi   I am reluctant to suggest any cruise line for anybody as the range of styles vary so much.  Do you wish to have a formal ambience or a more relaxed vacation?   Is fine dining more important than the entertainment provided by the ship?.  These are important features which need to be considered  before anybody can recommend a cruise line for you as well as the amount of money you are expecting to pay for your holiday.  A suite in Grill's class on Cunard will be easily be more than three or four times more expensive than an inside cabin in Britannia class (steerage biggrin.png) but the destinations and the entertainment will be the same but the dining and service offered will be vastly superior.

I suppose the starting point is the southampton - southampton so here are some of the 'main stream' companies that go from there

P&O - adult only ships but other ships in the summer holidays will have a lot of children on board

Cunard - family friendly but less children

Princess - family friendly

Royal Caribbean - extremely family friendly

Celebrity - similar to cunard

Fred Olsen - doesnt have childrens clubs on board so very rarely get children on board

There are others that serve more niche markets such as saga (over 50s), silversea, regent and seabourn (6* luxury) swan hellenic (professionals, lectures on board)

Hope this helps with a starting point, as like land ahoy says, without knowing more info it is hard to recommend specifically

Welcome pdw66.

Everymember will have their own advice and non of us will probably be right.

From your wish list I would imagine you are in the Education sector , as I was. One thing missing off your list was the issue of thpe of holiday. Did you want to find the sun or woukd you prefer cooler climes?

The one thing I woukd suggest is to talk to the professionals - give Bolsover Cruise Club a ring and talk it through with them as I am sure they can point you in the right direction. Some of your choices will be decided on cost.

SolentRichard has suggested a balcony and I woukd recommend that as well. We started off in an outside cabin and then went on to a balcony and have never looked back.

Whatever you pick I am sure you will enjoy and pribably get the cruise bug. Give th experts a ring.

Good Morning

Facts:

Questions:

Cruise line?

Duration?

Cabin/Level?

Drinks package?

Any advice welcomed

rgds

pdw

Welcome to the Forum.

All cruise lines are good; or at least somebody likes every cruiseline.  The problem is that we all have different preferences and likes/ dislikes.  If you are fixed on ex-Southampton cruises then you can simply look at what is available.  There is lots and lots of information available online so you can have a look at menus, daily programmes, etc.  This will give you a good insight as to what is available on board.  You can even have a look at some videos and get an idea of what the ships (and passengers) look like.

Personally I would start from a considering line / itinerary first, as even the best cabin on a ship you dislike, going to a place you don't want to see is unlikely to make for a happy cruise!

The one question that is easy to answer is drinks packages - simply estimate what you will drink, and calculate the cost with and without the drinks package.  Then go for the cheapest option.  There is much chatter on forums about drinks' prices but the difference between lines is not that much to make it the deciding factor for me.

Finally you mentioned that you want a roundtrip cruise from Southampton.  It may be worth considering non-UK ports particularly if you can manage a few days in the port before embarkation.  This is probably my preferred way to start a cruise; I find it very relaxing and stress-free!

Whatever you decide I hope you enjoy your cruise and once again welcome to the Forum.

Good Morning

Facts:

Questions:

Cruise line?

Duration?

Cabin/Level?

Drinks package?

Any advice welcomed

rgds

pdw

Its something that only you know the answer too it all depends on what you can afford 7 or 14nts and what type of stateroom. What might be right for some i.e. size of ship might not be right for others and only you know whether you want to cruise to the Med or the beautiful scenery of Norway or Baltics.

Thanks to all for your advice.

Definite now.

Southampton

Balcony

Sun

7 days

School holidays

Adult only/less kids

gives me a start, any further advice welcomed.

thanks again

pdw66

Do you have any specific itineraries in mind?  I only ask because I would have thought that a 7 day cruise ex-Southampton may not deliver your requirement for "sun", although plenty of nice itineraries.