Excursions on Norwegian Fjord Cruise

My husband and I are sailing on Arcadia at the end of May 2016 to Stavanger, Flaam, Alesund, Andalsnes, Trondheim, Geiranger, Olden and Bergen.

To do one of the ships' excursions at each port would be far too expensive for us pensioners so I would appreciate any advice from the experienced cruisers on this forum site as to which of the above ports/towns we can easily explore on our own please.

Personal experiences can be more enlightening than the travel pages of brochures I think!

Stavanger and Bergen are easy strolls into the town, but on the smaller ports of call it may be a case of do you like walking?

At Olden P&O suggested that there was not much to do so an excursion was a good idea, but for anyone who enjoys walking in beautiful scenery and has the necessary mobility, the excursion was unnecessary.

I agree with wheels36. Both Bergan ans Stavanger are easy walks. Try the Funicular in Bergen which takes you up to the top of the hill. You get great views and the drinks with cake in the hotel next to the viewing platform can be recommended.

Try taking the open top bus in Olden. It takes you to a lovely lake and does not cost too much. You could try catching the train in Andlesnes, if you are lucky but it is often sold out if you get there late.

I am sure your will enjoy yourself.

Further to the above suggestions. We have been to Geiranger twice. The first time we took a tour up the mountains which was breathtaking but the next time we walked around the village. There is a spectacular waterfall with a walk by the side of it. If you are very energetic there are steps which go high up the side but you still get a good view from below. We also walked around Alesund and took a local bus to the Viking Museum. We got details from the tourist information.

Stavanger and Alesund are an easy walk from the ship. There will probably be a free shuttle into the centre of Bergen, which is then easy to walk around. As already said, the funicular is fun and inexpensive to do, and The Bryggen is close by. We weren't that impressed with the Flam Railway and enjoyed a hike around the area more. Geiranger waterfall is fantastic, so we just hung around there and went on a rib ride to the Seven Sisters waterfall. Amazing!! In Olden I would recommend going to Briksdal Glacier. You can get a local tour from shipside. Whatever you do, you will have a brilliant time in Norway.

What ever you do, make sure you book an excursion in Andalsnes! The scenic Rauma railway is great. There is literally nothing in the town of Andalsnes apart from hairdressers! It's defiantly not one of those ports where you can have a walk around.

The funicular in Bergen is great, pay a bit extra and buy your tickets onboard so you don't have to queue up at the station. The Briksdal Glacier at Olden is another to consider. We just walked around in Stavanger but if we went again we'll go on a fjord boat trip.

I would also recommend for you to buy all of your shore excursions as soon as possible on Cruise Personaliser as they sell out really quickly, we waited until on board and all of the good ones were wait list only.

Hope this helps, have a great time, I'm sure you'll love it!

Guest zalando

I agree with wheels36. Both Bergan ans Stavanger are easy walks. Try the Funicular in Bergen which takes you up to the top of the hill. You get great views and the drinks with cake in the hotel next to the viewing platform can be recommended.

Try taking the open top bus in Olden. It takes you to a lovely lake and does not cost too much. You could try catching the train in Andlesnes, if you are lucky but it is often sold out if you get there late.

I am sure your will enjoy yourself.

May I suggest to avoid the queues in Bergen funicular that you purchase your tickets from the tourist office before you turn up at the lower station. You can then join the shorter 'already have a ticket' line. Getting to the tourist office will add 10 mins to your journey but will save you an hour by not waiting.

Guest zalando

Further to the above suggestions. We have been to Geiranger twice. The first time we took a tour up the mountains which was breathtaking but the next time we walked around the village. There is a spectacular waterfall with a walk by the side of it. If you are very energetic there are steps which go high up the side but you still get a good view from below. We also walked around Alesund and took a local bus to the Viking Museum. We got details from the tourist information.

In Geiranger, I highly recommend taking a bus tour with this company.

Reasonably priced, excellent customer service, wonderful tour!

http://www.geirangerfjord.no/english

And when you are finished or waiting for your tour have excellent coffee and chocolate here

https://www.facebook.com/GeirangerSjokolade/?fref=ts